The goal, the car, the plan...will it work?

If it drones I'll want to drive it into a wall. My 911 droned after I had the exhaust installed on it, made me nuts. I had to drop down a gear and get the revs up or crank the stereo.

The Pypes system is good, but I've never heard a Hooker that didn't sound good. My Hooker doesn't drone, but there are other ways to remedy this with other systems too. Using two different sized mufflers seems to work on most 6cyl cars I've encountered.

I think I'm actually seeing knock retard from the exhaust rattling. Some partial throttle knock and knock when I let off the accelerator. We'll see, trying to get my friend to open up his shop today so I can use his lift.

Spent a little time today soaking my nuts. I enjoy soaking my nuts every now and then.

WP_20130310_0053_zpseae52442.jpg

WP_20130310_002_zps71412547.jpg

WP_20130310_001_zps7eb3a113.jpg

If it drones I'll want to drive it into a wall. My 911 droned after I had the exhaust installed on it, made me nuts. I had to drop down a gear and get the revs up or crank the stereo.

Not sure how noisy of an exhaust you want but if you want something with a damn near, gauranteed zero drone but whisper quiet then do a search for 3 muffler system. With my ear approx 18" from the exhaust tips I still can't hear the exhaust noise over the fuel pump and injectors ticking at the front of the engine.

These custom systems also have very little back pressure (read the article for dyno test) but they are not cheap.
I love mine..

ks

Not sure how noisy of an exhaust you want but if you want something with a damn near, gauranteed zero drone but whisper quiet then do a search for 3 muffler system. With my ear approx 18" from the exhaust tips I still can't hear the exhaust noise over the fuel pump and injectors ticking at the front of the engine.

These custom systems also have very little back pressure (read the article for dyno test) but they are not cheap.
I love mine..

ks
Which exhaust system do you have?

Which exhaust system do you have?

These 3-muffler systems are all custom made ($$$$) but usually start with someones cat-back system. I posted info and pics in the thread where other people posted in the "3-muffler" thread.

ks

Brian at Gbodyparts.com sent me this beautiful downpipe. He really took care of me, can't thank him enough.

2013-03-16_11-32-38_237_zps17bce408.jpg

Loaded the truck up to go meet my buddy at his shop.

DSC00643_zps709cf443.jpg

Putting it up on the lift.
DSC00644_zpsfad77709.jpg

DSC00645_zps1302b4af.jpg

Dropped the old tank, it was actually really clean inside. Since I already had a new tank we just installed it with the 340 XP pump.
DSC00646_zps50a9fb96.jpg

DSC00647_zps3f5c9664.jpg

The old tank was full of 93 octane , I tried to tell him that wouldn't work, he didn't listen and ended up with a mouthful of gas. I'm going to get a little pump and get a few gallons out.
DSC00648_zpscdb50564.jpg

New tank and pump in.
DSC00649_zps62210a78.jpg

Pullin it all apart, my plug wires were so old they were stuck on the plugs and dry rotted.
DSC00651_zps59972ce4.jpg

Nice big clean shop to work in.
DSC00654_zps2e3cfe02.jpg

DSC00655_zpsf7187e12.jpg

I thought for sure mu manifolds wouldn't be cracked, but ya, the drivers side has a crack along the factory weld.
DSC00658_zps1a2def48.jpg

Hey look, the pass side headers in, should've read the directions.
DSC00661_zpsb85e03d1.jpg

Headers, turbo, downpipe, injectors, tank and pump all installed. All that's left is, Alky kit, 2 step, chip and hang exhaust.

DSC00663_zps5b9a0339.jpg

Those Hooker headers are going to kill the spool up. Put the stockers back on!!! You are running too much turbo as it is.

Damn, guess I won't need drag radials after all . . . Well, I'll get my stockers welded up and have another project over the summer.

In the mean time, would wrapping them help?

I made a decision on the headers. They will stay unless they keep me out of the 10's. I just drove the car home and it feels pretty good to me and the exhaust sounds great. No drone, quiet and when you let off it has a nice kackle. If I can't get the car to spool up with a 3000 stall converter and a 2 step then it's more than a header issue. The good news, the car runs fantastic, zero knock! When we were replacing all of these parts I noticed the old turbo inlet was leaking, the exhaust was rattling, and the maf pipe wasn't sealed. My plan of installing one thing at a time just wasn't feasible. I'd have been chasing one problem after another. Now everything is nice, new, tight and all squared away. I'm starting my tuning with zero knock with all of the new parts.

2013-03-24_14-38-03_576_zpsed5d68aa.jpg

2013-03-24_14-37-15_653_zpsf824173a.jpg

Ah, now I get it, I need 1.5 short times and won't get them with the headers... eh balls. .. guess I'm back to pulling them off over the summer when I get the heads and cam. I need another option besides stockers though, not wanting to pull them of every time they crack. Can you guys point me in the direction of someone that knows how to reinforce them?

Repairing the factory headers is no big deal. I have run them repaired with high mileage into the 9's without cracking again. The driver side header can be reinforced.

My passenger manifold doesn't have any cracks yet. See what I'm saying, it's just a matter of time before I have to pull it off. How do I avoid that mess?

The driver's side is the one most prone to cracking. Once repaired, I doubt you will have any problems. You have low mileage headers, I repaired a set with 260,000 on them 4 years ago, and they are still going strong.