The goal, the car, the plan...will it work?

Alright, thanks. I'll try to dig up some pics of the braced manifolds. As always, thanks for all the info. I really screwed the pooch on these headers, didn't even think about researching them. It's a shame too, the car sounds so damn good.

While looking at parts I see things listed for on center and off center. What does that mean?

Picked up a set of drag radials today and scheduled the car for an appointment with Vince Janice. I'm lucky, he's about 7 minutes from my house. We're going to do his stage II trans.

I don't know if anyone's checking back with this thread, but I have some questions. It seems every decision I make with this thing is wrong. I hate to ask the same questions that have been posted time after time. And I don't want to bother Bison, I'm sure he gets slammed everyday with questions. As you know if you read any of the thread I'm trying to get in the 10's. I know there's guys that have done it with just the right air pressure in their tires, JK but you know what I mean.

Below is the stuff I have or will have installed in the next couple of weeks.
'87 GN with 27k miles.
New clean fuel tank with an XP 340 hot wired pump, fresh filter and 93 octane.
Razors Alky, TT Chip, power logger, all supporting gauges and 50 lb injectors
Bobs 2 step, TCS 3000 stall, Janis stage II trans and Mickey Thompson Drag radials
TE45A turbo, FMIC, new plugs, new 10.8 Taylor wires
RJC 3" downpipe, Hooker dual exhaust with cutout
3" LT1 MAF with translator
Hooker headers, I know, no need to say anything . . .

Stuff I want and would like help specking out a cam.
Roller cam kit, I know this probably isn't necessary but I'd like to have it.
Champion ported irons and roller rockers and new timing chain.

There's a few things I don't understand about these cars.

Keep in mind I know some of the parts aren't the best for my goal, but I like to buy used stuff. I can get more parts for the money, I'm not cheap, but want to stay married.

Thoughts on cam choice and how much boost I need to run to get there. Are the cam and heads even necessary?

Thanks

Ah, now I get it, I need 1.5 short times and won't get them with the headers... eh balls. .. guess I'm back to pulling them off over the summer when I get the heads and cam. I need another option besides stockers though, not wanting to pull them of every time they crack. Can you guys point me in the direction of someone that knows how to reinforce them?

Stock replacement, won't crack. See below:

http://www.taperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TA_V2009

...While looking at parts I see things listed for on center and off center. What does that mean?

Stock Buick V6s are off center and that's how accessories mount. You can get stage II or T/A motors in either off-center, stock style, or on center, with the crank centered in the V. On center is more balanced and used in racing, but you need custom accessory brackets for everything if you want it in a street car. Off center engines will accept stock accessory mounting hardware.

On center only requires a .120" spacer on the cam to push the dist gear out, and a .120 spacer on the balancer to to align the crank pulley to the water pump pulley. No big deal. An off center side loads the rod bearings slightly.

Thanks for the info, how much boost did you run to get the 11.34 pass?

I didn't wire the wastegate shut but I stretched the hell out of the spring in my RJC boost controller and it hit about 29 psi when I locked the tc and 26psi with the tc open. I launched at 10psi on vacuum brakes to a 1.57 60'.

These showed up today, I haven't heard about the TA's cracking. Wanted to save myself some aggravation down the road. I may not be able to swap them out before Norwalk on the 28 th. I kind of want to see what the long tubes with the TE45A do anyway. What the heck, they're on the car already. I'm going to run a smaller turbo and the TA's until I get some ported heads and roller cam.

Brian Lorenz brought over this TA6262 with CEA wheel, I'll give it a go too. It will be nice to have the TE45A around for future goals.

What no suggestions to put a LSX motor in it??

Nice thread, it is refreshing to see someone looking to go fast on this board these days with a Buick. The only piece of advice I would give in tackling a project like this is if you want to run 10.90's build a 10.50 combo. It will be easier on the parts, wallet and have a higher chance of success when your finished. It looks like you have a good group of guys in your corner helping you out so I am sure you will obtain your goals. Good Luck I look forward to seeing the end results.

Thanks I'm so ready for spring, the local track is open this weekend, I'm going to try to make it.

Keep us in touch on your result; some pictures or better yet video on your run

What no suggestions to put a LSX motor in it??

Nice thread, it is refreshing to see someone looking to go fast on this board these days with a Buick. The only piece of advice I would give in tackling a project like this is if you want to run 10.90's build a 10.50 combo. It will be easier on the parts, wallet and have a higher chance of success when your finished. It looks like you have a good group of guys in your corner helping you out so I am sure you will obtain your goals. Good Luck I look forward to seeing the end results.

x2, or build a 9sec car and keep it in the 10's.

You know, sometimes when your spending a bunch of money on your car you wondering if you should've done it? I picked up my car from Vince at Janis transmission. The trans is one of the best upgrades I've done to the car. Driving it around babying it and the thing shifts nice and firm. Give it a quarter throttle and it threw my back out, JC it shifts hard, wow, I love it. Told Vince I wanted nice hard shifts, he came through.

When it's broke in I'll try the trans brake.