The Only 3300 lb. Buick V6 in the 8s using...

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me a 240/240 @.050 on 110 centers idles just fine, but not at factory idle rpms(1100 in neutral is just fine)

Kevin.
I second Kevin's recommendation. Although, I might throw a little more exhaust duration in there.

That is the type of answer that I was expecting. Point being, ask yourself how much turbo(s) you are running in comparison with Don to accomplish your ET, as well as valve size, not to mention two extra cylinders, then you will see why Don is able to pat himself on the back, which I personally don't feel that he is doing. The guy is sharing his accomplishments, and trying to get others to think out of the box. There really is no need for the other nonsense, is there...
I can see you've got a good head on your shoulders. You're a thinker.
Who brought up the idea that I was 'bragging', anyway? If sharing one's accomplishments is bragging, then I suppose there is a lot of that on this whole site.

KL Mallender said:
To me a 240/240 @.050 on 110 centers idles just fine, but not at factory idle rpms(1100 in neutral is just fine). Untill variable valve timing becomes available, a 2 valve 4 stroke engine becomes a trade off in many ways, todays 4 valve engines release many of these handcuffs, but not all...

Absolutely agree Kevin, which is why I am considering scrapping the T88 and going with a VGT turbo, as this will "mimic" variable valve timing the same way that the early LT5 engines did with the butterfly valve method of allowing more air in earlier, as well as throughout the RPM band. That is why I hogged everything out. I just need to tailor the right camshaft now that will work well with a VGT turbo...

Absolutely agree Kevin, which is why I am considering scrapping the T88 and going with a VGT turbo, as this will "mimic" variable valve timing the same way that the early LT5 engines did with the butterfly valve method of allowing more air in earlier, as well as throughout the RPM band. That is why I hogged everything out. I just need to tailor the right camshaft now that will work well with a VGT turbo...
I would think that the VGT turbo would allow you to get away with a more radical cam. Much the same way the nitrous is allowing me to get away with all the specs of my combination that simply kill spool up, but on the other hand, help out the top end.

That is the type of answer that I was expecting. Point being, ask yourself how much turbo(s) you are running in comparison with Don to accomplish your ET

LOL!!! Every car I know of goes MUCH faster than DonWG with a 91mm. I know of at least three of them in the 7s. Every car I know of with an 88 goes much faster. Every car I know of with an 80mm even goes faster.

You guys can talk about all the theory you want to (and some of it is kinda funny), the facts are that his combination is just straight up stupid. He's the only one doing it BECAUSE IT IS STUPID.

It's akin to me running a pair of 8" wide snow tires on the back of my race car and then making a post asking "How is it that I'm able to run 11's with 8" wide snow tires? How is it that I'm able to accomplish this??!!". Or maybe I could plumb a 45mm throttle body into my turbo system and make a post saying "How is it that I can go 8s with a 45mm throttle body??!!"

That answer would be because I would be retarded :D But I could do both of those things that nobody else is doing LOL.

Yes, that's right. A stupid, retarded, small cubed, small valved V6, 8 second car.
Stupid 8 second car. Stupid 8 second car. Stupid 8 second car.
So stupid, anyone could do it. ;)

Yes, that's right. A stupid, retarded, small cubed, small valved V6, 8 second car.
Stupid 8 second car. Stupid 8 second car. Stupid 8 second car.
So stupid, anyone could do it. ;)

Anybody COULD do it. And with less turbo. And with less tire. And without nitrous. And without wheely bars. And without the delusion that they've accomplished something worthy of bragging about :)

So, frybait. What do you really think about my combination? Don't hold back a thing. Let it all out.

Fryguy said:
These are links to people that could do it, but don't because it's stupid...

Fryguy, I think your missing the point. You know as well as everyone here that everything posted in this forum is about bragging rights in one form or another. Don did it first, so he gets bragging rights. Until someone goes faster with the same, or even less of a setup, he is the guy to beat. I myself am fiddling with a 305 Tuned Port Injected engine while I build my LC2 up, mainly because nobody on the planet brought the 305 to single digits. Hopefully I will be the first. Can the 305 be brought to single digits by others? OF COURSE it can! Is it stupid? Maybe to some. However, if I do it first, I get bragging rights, and that is what it is all about. Competition brings out the best in all of us, so rather than argue, just appreciate what Don was able to do, first...

So, frybait. What do you really think about my combination? Don't hold back a thing. Let it all out.
Your anger has blinded you. Release your inner conflict. I can feel the good within you.

Fryguy, I think your missing the point. You know as well as everyone here that everything posted in this forum is about bragging rights in one form or another. Don did it first, so he gets bragging rights. Until someone goes faster with the same, or even less of a setup, he is the guy to beat. I myself am fiddling with a 305 Tuned Port Injected engine while I build my LC2 up, mainly because nobody on the planet brought the 305 to single digits. Hopefully I will be the first. Can the 305 be brought to single digits by others? OF COURSE it can! Is it stupid? Maybe to some. However, if I do it first, I get bragging rights, and that is what it is all about. Competition brings out the best in all of us, so rather than argue, just appreciate what Don was able to do, first...

I would only understand the competition aspect of something like this if there was any competition involved! Nobody else is dumb enough to run a combination like DonWGs, so who is he competing against? No offense, but there is also nobody else likely trying to run single digits with a TPI 305 because it doesn't make sense with the newer technology out there.....so again, I don't see the competition aspect of it at all. I wish you luck on your project, and I hope you achieve your goal, but you're not competing with anyone except the guys in the next lane.

I'd never have responded to this thread at all if it wasn't obvious that the guy was trying to pat himself on the back like an attention whore :D

I'd never have responded to this thread at all if it wasn't obvious that the guy was trying to pat himself on the back like an attention whore :D
Aren't we all attention whores in one way or another? Right, frybait?

Fryguy said:
I wish you luck on your project, and I hope you achieve your goal, but you're not competing with anyone except the guys in the next lane....

Thanks, and I do agree with you regarding the competition in the other lane being the only real competition, although I also like to push myself to try new ideas. GM left a lot on the table with the 305, and nobody in their right mind would bother building one.... except for me :D I guess I have that old hot rodders mentality of making something out of absolutely nothing, just because it can be done, so why not do it. Besides, an anemic 305 bonking heads with turbo LSX engines at the track is something worth shooting for, because in the end, it always comes down to the same thing; air, fuel and spark....

I said I was done but I did get something from this past week's trip to PRI that applies to this thread.

Talking with an engine builder and dyno operator about his fuel system plumbing. He was injecting alcohol in an odd area. His findings were the intake and head actually flowed more air and made more power on the alcohol. Don if you remember stating your head would flow less due to the extra alcohol taking up air space. According to this mans work the opposite it true. The cooling of the alcohol actually makes a denser charge in the intake and head ports increasing air flow over what's possible with gas.

I said I was done but I did get something from this past week's trip to PRI that applies to this thread.

Talking with an engine builder and dyno operator about his fuel system plumbing. He was injecting alcohol in an odd area. His findings were the intake and head actually flowed more air and made more power on the alcohol. Don if you remember stating your head would flow less due to the extra alcohol taking up air space. According to this mans work the opposite it true. The cooling of the alcohol actually makes a denser charge in the intake and head ports increasing air flow over what's possible with gas.
If you will recall correctly, I did reference material that had opinions from expert engine builders/tuners. I myself have no concrete data that proves one way or the other. On one hand, I have opinions from experts of what an alcohol head should be, and on the other, I have the obvious chemistry involved with burning alcohol. I wholeheartedly agree with the gentleman that you talked with. Do I have proof that would back up either argument? No. Actually, my true opinion is up in the air about this particular topic. Until someone can come up with some concrete data to support one position or the other, I will continue to bring up both sides of the argument.
I will also bring up that the sim I use does take into account the cooling affects of the alcohol. It does state an intake port temperature, which is different than the intake air temperature, which is also an entered variable. I just ran the sim, and it states a varying intake port temperature throughout the rpm range with a low point of 39 degrees F at around 5500 rpm . This is without the nitrous injection. Is the chilling effect of the alcohol helping to create a denser charge? Of course it is. Is the sim accounting for this? I would hope so. Did I still have to grossly fudge the head flow numbers to obtain a close match to real world performance? Yes.
Can the intake charge temperature be too low to burn efficiently? Yes.
Is it best to have the proper static CR and boost level with a blown alcohol engine to properly heat the charge during compression for best burn efficiency? Yes. Is that what I have with my combination at the present boost levels I've been running? No.

Status
Not open for further replies.