Thinking about this Low Budget Turbo, Injector and torque converter combo.

Thinking about this Low Budget Turbo, Injector and torque converter combo.
1- PTS Xtreme D5 GN Converter-2200 to 2800 rpm stall-$330.00
2- 60Lbs. injectors with matching alky chip- $389.00
3- Which one of the UNDER $600.00 Turbos would work best???
For a grand total of $1319.00
My goal is to go as fast as the above stuff would take me
The engine is bone stock with
A- Dutt-neck IC
B- Frankenstein 3 inch THDP.
C- Alky injection

Under $600.00 Turbos at the below listed links.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/advertiser-specials/273548-turbo-specials.html
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/advertiser-specials/275377-big-wood-racing-turbo-special.html

Precision Turbo 6031 (TE60) $595.00
Turbo Tweak Injector and Chip Combo - 42lb/hr. $290.00
Pro Torque Converter 12" L/U from Jack Cotton $350.00

TOTAL- $1235.00

I thought about the 42#'s but all you see is "For sale 42#'s because up grading to 60#'s"
This is why I was thinking about going straight to 60#.
So how low can the 42# injector take me?

Timeslips are in my sig with 009s and racegas.

I would shop around for some good 50s or 60s , you might save a few hundred going with used, plus you might get a chip.

If you kept the stock torque convertor, then you could get a 6131 and a ball and spring type boost controller. Ive read about people here saying that it spools up just as fast as the stock turbo.

I had a ta61 with a garrett exhaust housing, stock torque convertor, and 42.5 injectors and the car was running 11.2 at 121ish.

Now ive sold the ta61, selling the 42.5 injectors, and have a 911 convertor, te64 turbo, and a set of 60s.
But, the reason for the larger injectors is because my car was running out of fuel.

If i were you and on a budget like everyone else, there is nothing wrong with shopping for used parts.
My new turbo is used, so is the convertor, and i bought in on the 60s when mike licht had them on sale for less than 300.00 a set.

Do some shopping :)
BW

I thought about the 42#'s but all you see is "For sale 42#'s because up grading to 60#'s"
This is why I was thinking about going straight to 60#.
So how low can the 42# injector take me?

A couple of years ago it was all 36lb injectors everone was getting rid of. Guess it depends on your goals and how tight your budget is. 42s or 50 would get the job done with alky for 11s no problem.

A couple of years ago it was all 36lb injectors everone was getting rid of. Guess it depends on your goals and how tight your budget is. 42s or 50 would get the job done with alky for 11s no problem.

The goal is 11.50 eventually but if 42s can support 11s on 93+Alky I guess I could go that route.

42's can go 10's with alky. 4431 turbo. C16 and 28-30 psi should go low 11's on a good tune.

i am buying a turbo first SO. lets say i have the 42's
and the PTS Xtreme D5 GN Converter-2200 to 2800 rpm stall
Which Turbo would work best??

Remember the car already has
1-Stock IC with a Dutt neck
2-Alky
3-and a 3inch DP

ive got a te64 w/ a precision .63 exhaust housing that is in excellent condition and low miles,that i'd be willing to sell if your interested. this would be a great turbo for what you want.

42's can go 10's with alky. 4431 turbo. C16 and 28-30 psi should go low 11's on a good tune.

How much converter would I need for this combo?
How much converter would i need for the 6031E?
Would the PTS D5 2200 to 2800 be enough for both?

Either one 2800-3000. There are other options than PTS as well.

You dont need 60s.. thats insane.

Buy what you need to get to your goal. People have run mid 10s with 50s and no 7th.. I know a guy that ran 10.30s with 40s and a 7th. Buy what you need, not what everyone else has. If you're not going to run low 10s, you'll never have a use for those 60s.

For what you want to do, the 42s would be plenty. Hell, 40s or 36s would be plenty. Its amazing to me what gets shoved on people these days looking at how fast people went with a whole lot less.. of course now you have to sell people FAST systems that are running 12s to make a dollar:rolleyes:

Buy what you need to get to your goal. People have run mid 10s with 50s and no 7th.. I know a guy that ran 10.30s with 40s and a 7th. Buy what you need, not what everyone else has. If you're not going to run low 10s, you'll never have a use for those 60s.

For what you want to do, the 42s would be plenty. Hell, 40s or 36s would be plenty. Its amazing to me what gets shoved on people these days looking at how fast people went with a whole lot less.. of course now you have to sell people FAST systems that are running 12s to make a dollar:rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice this is why I posted it up before buying.

Also help me pick a Turbo (one of the Under $600.00 ones)
I want the biggest one with good street manners.
I will also be buying a L/U Torque converter to match the turbo but I don’t want the car to feel like a race car (driving around at 40 mph and 5K RPM)
All advice is welcomed.

The TE60 is a nice turbo for the converter range you named. Shameless plug, I have some in stock.

If you'd like to call me at the shop on Monday, Ill be happy to talk to you about your combination. I dont have any injectors or converters in stock so I dont have any of those to try to push on you ;)

Jay you are 100% correct when saying " Buy what you need, not what everyone else has." h
Here is my theory on the 60# injectors. Wether or not you NEED them or wether or not you want them. When steping up to a larger injectors like the 50# injectors My point is that you can get the 60# injectors at the same price as the 50's so why not go ahead and get the larger 60# injectors? It won't hurt your combo, It won't hurt your drivability, They will lower your duty cycles, they will allow you to go larger on your combo in the future if you want and you won't NEED injectors then. So I see buying 60# injectors a Win / Win situation and pretty much a "One time buy" for most street cars..

New, Going from the 42.5lb to the 55lb injectors is only a $10 differance. Going from the 55lb to the 60lb injectors is only a $8.99 differance.

Scot W.

The TE60 is a nice turbo for the converter range you named. Shameless plug, I have some in stock.

If you'd like to call me at the shop on Monday, Ill be happy to talk to you about your combination. I dont have any injectors or converters in stock so I dont have any of those to try to push on you ;)
will do.

Jay you are 100% correct when saying " Buy what you need, not what everyone else has." h
Here is my theory on the 60# injectors. Wether or not you NEED them or wether or not you want them. When steping up to a larger injectors like the 50# injectors My point is that you can get the 60# injectors at the same price as the 50's so why not go ahead and get the larger 60# injectors? It won't hurt your combo, It won't hurt your drivability, They will lower your duty cycles, they will allow you to go larger on your combo in the future if you want and you won't NEED injectors then. So I see buying 60# injectors a Win / Win situation and pretty much a "One time buy" for most street cars..

New, Going from the 42.5lb to the 55lb injectors is only a $10 differance. Going from the 55lb to the 60lb injectors is only a $8.99 differance.

Scot W.
So for another $18.99 i would most likely never have to buy another set of injectors.
Great point. thanks.