Time to pick new rear tires, HELP please

Tz44

I'm ready to get some new rear tires for my 86 regal. Right now I've got some cheap 225/70r15 on the back (I bought the car with them on it). I've read in the sticky that I could fit a 255/60r15 on 15x7 wheels with no problems and I was thinking about going that route.

One of my biggest concerns though is having the back of the car sit lower than it does now. It looks like it's a little high in the front to me.

I don't really drag race the car at all but I like the look of a wider tire on the rear and would like for it to hook up pretty well when I do feel like playing.

null_zps30ad1ad9.jpg

The picture is a bit deceiving, The parking lot slopes up towards the sidewalk so it makes the front of the car look even higher.

Any suggestions on what tire to go with?

Well it also depends on how much you drive the car. I went with ET STREET 255/60 (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-3756r/overview/) but I do not put daily driver miles on the car so not worried about how long they last. They seem to hook great and I am sure you will find many people on the board putting lots of power to the ground using these tires.

If you are looking for something tha is going to last for a many miles I would steer clear of these tires.

Well it also depends on how much you drive the car. I went with ET STREET 255/60 (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-3756r/overview/) but I do not put daily driver miles on the car so not worried about how long they last. They seem to hook great and I am sure you will find many people on the board putting lots of power to the ground using these tires.

If you are looking for something tha is going to last for a many miles I would steer clear of these tires.

Do you have any pictures of yours? I'd just like to see how they look. Also how wide are your wheels?

Yea I will take them tonight and get them up here for you. Sorry for the delay, ran out of time yesterday

Here is how it sits. The drive way has a slight incline to it.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130531_094645.png
    ForumRunner_20130531_094645.png
    327.7 KB · Views: 302
Here is the close up if you wanted that shot also

Edit( Not sure why this picture will not post. )

Your 225/70 R15s are about 27.4" The 255/60 R15s are 27.1" So it will be about .3" lower than it is now.
The search is not working so here are some pics of Yokohama 255/60 r15's lowered on Eibachs in the rear and old stock springs in the front. I have absolutely NO problems with rubbing at all and have a good finger's width clearance between the tire (which is about 10.4" wide) and the frame.

DSC01776.JPG
DSC01777.JPG
IMG_0787.JPG

I came across a GN yesterday with Hankook 265/50-15. I haven't seen this size since bf Goodrich quit making them in their t/a series in that size. The bfg were close to the stock 26" height. I always thought they looked good. He had them on the front too and said they didn't rub.
I run a 255/60-15 on the rear of mine and a 215/75-15 on the front to give me a bunch of rollout at the track.

I came across a GN yesterday with Hankook 265/50-15. I haven't seen this size since bf Goodrich quit making them in their t/a series in that size. The bfg were close to the stock 26" height. I always thought they looked good. He had them on the front too and said they didn't rub.
I run a 255/60-15 on the rear of mine and a 215/75-15 on the front to give me a bunch of rollout at the track.

I also have the Hankook 265/50-15's and I had some custom 15x9" GN wheels made for them.

The tire in front is on the old 15x7's and the one in the back is on the new 15x9's.

IMG_5936.JPG

Hankook 275/60/15 slight rub, fixed with air bags. Does not rub now.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I think I'm gonna go with the BFG TA 255/60r15's. I've already got TA's on the front.

I don't know how ppl run regular radials on the rear. I can put my 275 drag radials up in smoke from a roll till I let out. :rolleyes: I'd be scared to run regular street tires

I don't know how ppl run regular radials on the rear. I can put my 275 drag radials up in smoke from a roll till I let out. :rolleyes: I'd be scared to run regular street tires

I'm with you.

IMG_0489.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

RZ

Easy. Some of us have restraint and can drive so the tires don't spin. Either that or some people have balls of steel which you don't have yet :D:D

ks

Easy. Some of us have restraint and can drive so the tires don't spin. Either that or some people have balls of steel which you don't have yet :D:D

You haven't ridden in my car with me behind the wheel, I'd be happy to show you just how BIG my balls are. My tires spin like regular radials on command, it takes restraint and know how to make them hook on the street. :p;)

ks
Haha you haven't rode with me. My balls are steel