timing cover HELP???

samandw

call me stupid....so that paper thin gasket between the oil pump and filter housing. i used i very thin layer of gasket maker on either side of that. I just read somewhere that is kinda a no-no? i didn't pack it with Vaseline either. all i was going in there to do was replace that gasket. also it appeared to have some slight gouging on the filter housing where the oil pump gears are? im thinking i need to pull it back apart spend the 10 bucks and get another gasket? should i worry about the scoring of that filter housing?

oh and also the crank shaft gasket the parts store sold me is like kinda backwards looking compared to the factory one? has anybody else run into this problem?

can anyone tell me where to find that rubber o-ring that goes between the filter housing and the oil cooler adapter?

can anyone tell me where to find that rubber o-ring that goes between the filter housing and the oil cooler adapter?

I got one from advance auto parts took the old one with me and matched it up.

Shaun

You need to get all that RTV off of there before it gets stuck in an oil galley!!

the paper gasket goes in dry, it will seal. Small gouges are normal big gouges need a new filter adaptor. Post a pic. GET THE RTV OUT! soon
Mike

ok i pulled it back apart before it even got dry cleaned everything out. is it ok to pull the oil pump gears out and make sure nothing is on them to?

Good idea to take them out and make sure everything is clean. When you reassemble you must get the gear clearance correct by using the right gasket thickness. Easiest way to do this is to use a gasket kit from TA performance that comes with several gaskets with different thicknesses. Do a search for oil pump rebuilding for the proper clearance specs and pack it with vaseline to help it prime.