Trans fluid ?

So far. My tranny guy is also into diesel truck pulling and he uses it in his Allison too. Lots of miles and pulls on that tranny and it holds up to that too.

Now I'm a bad TR owner in that I've never verified my tranny pressures or looked at temps even. I just run it and it works. It's never had a refresh yet in those 45k miles. A TE44 shouldn't be too hard on a well built 200 even with the miles I have on it.
Heat is the biggest killer anyway, I run 2 coolers in series behind the front mount

Trans are to $ to run a store brand DEX VI
If it works it works Its a name brand for me

So, if your gonna be beating on the car a lot, then go with Amsoil? Im about ready to drop my pan.

Gentlemen, I am from old school where we learned if you change fluid on an unknown trans you may create problems!!! A learned trans person suggested straining fluid for trash etc.... and putting back in with new filter thus eliminating varnish removal which can cause slippage or more......
Any thoughts on this.........................

Gentlemen, I am from old school where we learned if you change fluid on an unknown trans you may create problems!!! A learned trans person suggested straining fluid for trash etc.... and putting back in with new filter thus eliminating varnish removal which can cause slippage or more......
Any thoughts on this.........................

That thought process works on a stock type trans, but few of us haven't been in the trans yet. If you haven't and you are seeking performance, this trick still won't make a trans last longer. There is some truth to this though; I've seen many a trans go away after a flush. If you just drop the pan and replace that lost fluid only, it's less harmful. My Chrysler Nag5 never calls for a trans service unless it's in taxi service and even then there is no filter to service.

Burned my trans up last year due to not having a sprag in my convertor and extended "Spirited" driving, long up hill grades, etc the conv was cooking the fluid without a sprag.

Trans was so hot it melted the teflon rings on the center support and I had DEX 6 in it and I think it definetly handled teh heat better than type f would have but was still smoked.

After getting a sprag added, trans rebuilt and talking with my builder he recommended Trick shift non syn.
Its a type F style fluid and shifts better then Dex 6 he said that the trick shift formula has a better heat tolerance than reg ole type F.
Finished out the season with it and the fluid is still clear and no residue of the dipstick on a white towel.

On a side note I noticed that ATI makes a synthetic Type F.

http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Super-Synthetic-Transmission-Fluid/dp/B0055SC45Q

Someone try it in a ten second and faster car and let me know...LOL.
Were you using an external.cooler?w eletric fan?

Spragless conv still cooked it despite a cooler of whatever kind.

Last edited:
I had Napa send me some Type F so I could service my trans. I noticed it says it's made for Fords. Is this the correct Type F you guys are referring to?

Thanks guys.