Transmission help TH 350 v TH 400

86-2fast

I need to change the transmission in the GN. I would like to go with a TH 350 or TH 400. What is the difference between a Th350 and a Th400? This is the main thing will they bolt up behind my engine? A lot of people on here say use a TH 400 but why not a 350.

The th350 is a lighter duty unit. If you find one with a bop case it should bolt right in with the correct tail housing setup though you will have to do something with the crossmember. Even reuse the driveshaft. It can be built to handle plenty of hp. if you search you might be able to find one with the lockup torque converter, if you want to retain that feature.
The th400 will bolt up to the block if you find a bop case. Crossmember shouldn't need moved but you will need to cut the drive shaft or have another shorter one made up.

Something wrong with the 2004r that you think it isn't good for your application? How much power do you plan to make? Sticky tires? Lots of track time?

No not a lot of track time. I am having a hard time finding someone around here to rebuild it right. I have it at the transmissions shop now, he is telling me that he's having trouble getting the right parts. Just want to put something in that I don't have to worry about.

Just my stupid observation, a tranny shop has trouble getting the right parts?? May want to find a better tranny shop. Cheap price and good quality are hardly ever found together. You get what you pay for.

No not a lot of track time. I am having a hard time finding someone around here to rebuild it right. I have it at the transmissions shop now, he is telling me that he's having trouble getting the right parts. Just want to put something in that I don't have to worry about.

Where is "around here"?

I'm with above. If the trans shop cant get the parts you might consider not having them work on your transmission. Plenty of suppliers. I bought from several and more that I didn't when I assembled mine. I went through the hoop jumping, pulling the trans multiple times, loosing second, sloshy shift to third. More than I'd care to remember. I knew there had to be a way so I studied here and anywhere else on the interwebz I could find info. Then I put together the one in my car now myself with the help from several experts here and several others from other sites I found.

Some parts are getting difficult to find by calling just one supplier like transtar. But they can be found with a call to any of the trans vendors on here, and they can help the local shop know whats best for your power level.

Unless you are making lots (and I mean LOTS) of power and constant track time, I wouldn't ditch the 200-4r. But if I were you I might find a different trans shop, or at least give him the contact info for Husek or Lonnie or CK.

I am located in South Carolina and there are not many shops in this area that try to rebuild them. This guy is suppose to be one of the best in this area. I need the front pump and this I a GN transmission not just any old 2004r. Thanks for all the help.

Any of the builders on this forum can supply you with a fresh "blueprinted" pump or maybe just a good used one if you aren't making tons of power.

Because of the TR community, there's enough demand for 200-4rs that any parts that dry up will be reproduced or another solution found.

Not much power still all stock. Please give me some contacts and their info. Thanks for all the help.

if your heart is set, the 400 is the better way to go,but inmo stay 200 and call dave husek he builds a great unit with a lot of tech support.

I had an old camaro i wanted a trans break put in. trans guys said no not in that 350. Go buy a used 400 and we will.

Extreme Automatics is in NC for your 200 and if you must have a 350, get a BOP core. I have a guy at the Chevy dealership built mine very reasonable and I have beat the crap out of that trans for 9 years. I had to have it rebuilt when I forgot to put it high gear, I also had to get a new converter. I am in Charlotte, where are you in SC. Life lesson on my 200, when I bought my GN it had a 350 in it and I sold it to get the broken 200 fixed. $1200 and 3 months later the 200 fails and I take it and my art Carr converter to a local guy just to find out why it failed. That's all I asked for per contract. At the time pts out in CA was coming out with the billet parts for big power and I gave him the contact info. He calls me 3 days later and said that your trans was ready. Happy as can be, I went to go get it and he slapped me with a $2300 bill. I never told him to repair it, just tell why it failed. Long story short he sold my trans and converter to a guy in GA because I refused to pay, I took him to court and I hated it for the guy in GA but I got my trans back. It is still sitting on the floor beside another core just waiting for the day to be called to duty, who knows it may fail again. It doesn't have the brf valve body but I did pay to have the converter flushed and rewelded. The best converter maker in this area is ultimate converters and 30 minutes up the road from me and the best driveshaft company is the driveshaft shop about an 1.5hr away in Salisbury. There is also transmission shop signs at every drag strip, use those also for something really close to you. For a stocker a well built 200 could be had easily but you have to go with a reputable shop or you might be asking to tell your live and learn 200 lesson also. Sorry so long, hope this help. Pm me for more details or my #.

I am in SC also , when my tranny went out a 2004r I took it out and put it in my car and drove to Vince Janis in Akron Ohio and had him fix my trans , he builds a 2004r at any stage of HP you need and makes them live , plus you can ship it to him also if you do not want to drive up there and back .I am retired so it was no big deal to take a road trip and not worry about a shipping company breaking my trans with some monkey on a fork lift or losing it as the BRF trans are getting harder to find . I have several good transmissions shops around me and most did not like the 2004r`s and said they were junk but never found the trick in building them to make them live when you had extra HP from what they were not intended for . His no# is 330 807 3157 or 330 753 6609