Transmission Not Shifting out of 1st (Need Help, Please)

wiseman

Hello Everyone,
I have the infamous problem that happened to me yesterday which involves my transmission holding and not shifting out of 1st gear. The cars' 1st gear has been shifting late in the last couple weeks. I have been having to get of the gas for it to shift into second (It woudnt shift at all into 2nd). I took it out for a spin yesterday and now the car will not shift from 1st into 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear. It is like it is stuck in 1st. I rev'd it all the way up to 5000rpm and it still didnt shift so I backed off it and drove very slowly home (Good thing i was only a 1/2 mile from home.)
I am not a transmission guy, so here is where I need alot of help: I dropped the pan to take a look at the TV cable linkage in the transmission and the pic below is where it is positioned. Can someone tell me how I need to have the arm positioned or what am I looking for? How much does the TV cable linkage arm need to contact the circle push button (Sorry, Don't know the name of button push thing)? From the picture, it is very close, if not contacting the "push button".

I also thought that it might be the governor, I removed the governor and the spring was still in place. (Even though there is only 1 spring on the governor, looks as though there should be another spring on the "heavier" weight side,......... there is spot to put one) But, There was no spring in my pan. i believe the GN govenors only had 1 spring, right? but, Now I am back to being clueless. Can someone help? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4161.JPG
    IMG_4161.JPG
    488.9 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_4160.JPG
    IMG_4160.JPG
    503.8 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_4163.JPG
    IMG_4163.JPG
    580 KB · Views: 271
I have similar problem with my transmission. Still waiting for answer from some one in this forum.

I have similar problem with my transmission. Still waiting for answer from some one in this forum.

Hi Ramon,
Can you add a link to your post so i can view it, so I can review it and make sure I am not forgetting anything.
have you played with your tv cable?

Yeah I tried adjusting tv cable with no luck. My governor also looked good. Read a post gn governors only have one spring on them. For adjusting tv cable you can view this site. WWW.gnttype.org/teacharea/transmission/tvcable.html spoke to a friend of my he said maybe servo is bad or burnt band. I haven't had time to take a look at it plus no money if I need to rebuild tranny. Plus I'm not a tranny expert but have a friend who rebuilds tranny. Good luck if some one in this forums helps you fix your problem let me know. I might have same problem.

I was searching the web and came across some good write ups on some basic info about understanding the TV Cable in TH200r4 transmissions. It is a good reference for the people that arent fimilar with transmission work and need more info about the internal mechanisms , etc for the tv cable. Here you go:

http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php
http://www.extremeautomatics.com/images/2004R_Transmission_Install.pdf

Still waiting for some help with my transmission problem from my 1st post...............................

Could be a stuck or sticky TV valve in the VB...the linkage looks right to me in the pics. Also, the dont back the TV cable off more than a couple of clicks as it will smoke teh trans if backed off too far.
With the ENGINE OFF....make sure the TV cable is adjusted correctly...........get in the car and slam throttle to floor and release quickly 10-15 or so times in a row. This will free a stuck TV valve alot of the times may have to try it a couple of times.

Hello, I looked at the tv plunger and the tv arm that contacts the plunger. I pushed the plunger in and out multiple times. It was seems as though it was functioning properly before (I would press the throttle inside the car and it would fully push the plunger in). When I would use my finger, it seemed as though the plunger would got in really easy about half was down, then i could feel a "tad" bit of force pushing back on it. I would release it and it was fine. I did that about 20 times. I put the governor in and the pan back up. Readjusted the tv cable "exactly" per the instructions. Here is my question......
Now with the tv cable reset (after slamming of the foot on the petal) the plastic housing around the tv cable is in a completely different location. at first the tip stuck out 1/2 in or so, now only the nose stick out about 1/4in. I had it marked previously, so see where my baseline used to be. Does this look correct? there is some slack in the line when you when the linkage is in the idel postiton. You can press the lline down some and there is some slack.

top Picture - where the tv cbale is positioned now after the setting procedure
bottom Picture - where is initially was

Attachments

• IMG_4166.JPG
    IMG_4166.JPG
    368.9 KB · Views: 243
  • IMAG2104.jpg
    IMAG2104.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 219
top picture means left picture or 1st picture
bottom picture means right or 2nd picture

To set the cable open the throttle manually at the throttle body. Hitting the go-pedal isn't the correct way to set the TV cable position. You may also find that the throttle cable has stretched and isn't fully opening the TB.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Push in half moon tab then cable all the way in (towards firewall/nothing hardly sticking out) and release tab.
Now grab throttle linkage with hand and go WOT...the cable will click out and when its adjusted right at WOT the bracket should distort/bend just a lil. Normal is there or just a click or so out from that.

You seem to be having the same issues I was experiencing with my cable.

When I followed the adjusting procedure (ie. depressing button, pressing gas pedal to floor) my TV position ended up like yours in IMG_4166.JPG.
When my TV cable was set in that position my car would not shift out of 1st no matter how I feathered the throttle.

Below is a picture of where I set the cable to solve that problem.

Try it and see if it helps any.

Just make sure you don't test drive @ WOT until you are sure the TV settings are correct for your application as a misadjusted TV cable can smoke a 200r4 pretty quickly.

TV-Adjustment.jpg

Attachments

• help2.jpg
    help2.jpg
    619.1 KB · Views: 195
You seem to be having the same issues I was experiencing with my cable.

When I followed the adjusting procedure (ie. depressing button, pressing gas pedal to floor) my TV position ended up like yours in IMG_4166.JPG.
When my TV cable was set in that position my car would not shift out of 1st no matter how I feathered the throttle.

Below is a picture of where I set the cable to solve that problem.

Try it and see if it helps any.

Just make sure you don't test drive @ WOT until you are sure the TV settings are correct for your application as a misadjusted TV cable can smoke a 200r4 pretty quickly.

TV-Adjustment.jpg

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I didn't get a chance take her out today, I will take her out tomorrow. Hopefully the tv cable is set correctly and it shifts perfectly, if not I will mak the adjustments as you did. If that doesn't Work, then I guess I will drop the pan again and look at the valve body like MeanBuicks stated.

One question, how can I tell if the transmission is burnt Up or smoked? How would it act?

One question, how can I tell if the transmission is burnt Up or smoked? How would it act?

Fluid would be dark & smell burnt, lots of sediment in Pan, low presssure readings.
Usually slippage/flaring during shifts. Bad sounds if internals are damaged = Planetarys, Bushings, Bearings etc...

well, just came back from a test drive, and it's still not shifting from out of 1st gear. I moved that darn tv cable to every single notch back and forth (after the proper tv cable adjustment didnt work) and got it up to 3000rpm and still no shifting. (The trans has 3000 stall converter). I guess the next thing would be the valve body check? I have never messed with a valve body, but I wondering if it was too hard for a transmission beginner (like myself) or should i bring it to the transmission shop? Also, is there a 1-2 shift solenoid in these 200r4's? If so, would that stop it from upshifting.

p.s when I am driving and get it up to 3000rpm and let of the throttle it still will not shift. When I let off and get back on the gas it just revs back up.

Damn. Sorry to hear.

I guess the next thing would be the valve body check? I have never messed with a valve body, but I wondering if it was too hard for a transmission beginner (like myself) or should i bring it to the transmission shop?

I rebuilt my tranny a few months ago in my driveway and I'm no expert by any means.

Now if you plan on disassembling the valve body here is some helpful info off the top of my head:

Tools:
--torque wrench (VB bolts, Accumulator Housing bolts, TCC solenoid bolts, etc.)
--scribe (pushing out roll pins, check balls, etc)
--petroleum jelly/vasiline (holding stuff in place, check balls, valves etc.)
--emery paper (clean valves, gasket surfaces)
--brake cleaner/carb cleaner
--sharpie/nail polish (mark check ball locations)

Keys to success:
--have enough workspace to lay out and label parts
--mark down, take pictures, etc. of exactly where every thing is before dissembly (check ball locations, order and orientation of valves, springs, in the VB etc.)
--take your time, don't rush

also make sure you can get your hands on some fresh valve body gaskets as I wouldn't recommend reusing the old ones unless they are in pretty decent condition.

Is there a 1-2 shift solenoid in these 200r4's? If so, would that stop it from upshifting.

There is a TCC (Torque Convertor Clutch) solenoid but that is for lockup purposes.

Some Possiblities:
--excessive band clearance/burnt band
--elongated or stretched band anchor
--band anchor pin may be broken (nothing to engage your 2nd gear band)
--bad servo seal
--worn accumulator spring
--warped direct drum

I'm leaning towards your band being toast, especially since you said it has slowly started shifting like shit.
If the band is bad the tranny has to come out completely unfortunately.

Did you find any debris, clutch material, etc. in the fluid or on the magnet when you dropped the pan?
What type of tranny fluid are you running?
How many miles are on your tranny? Previous rebuilds, etc?

Phrosty,
When I just putAn trans cooler on the car about 2 months ago. When I put everything back up, I put all fresh fluid it in. I have been using Mobil 1 full synthetic ATF. I put about 200miles on it before my this shifting problem, once I dropped the pan last week, there was a lot of the black slug that was on the bottom of the pan. (I took it for the normal wear and tear debris, but I only had About 200 miles on the fresh fluid) the fLuid didn't look or smell burnt.. There were no metal shavings are anything like that in the bottom of the pan.

I bought the car about 5rs ago, it had remanufactured transmission on the side when I rebuilt the engine, but I dont know when the previous owner rebuilt it. I don't how many total miles are on the tranny, I have put about 1200 miles on myself. I have been restoring since day 1. Oh, I am still running the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF (multi-fluid).