Trash can modification

Trash can scoop

The factory IC shroud has a plastic debris screen which can still be used when running the trash can. Yours may be still in place or you can get a used one from members here if it's missing. I've been running the can for years and haven't seen any road junk up in the scoop.HTH - Jimmy

Jimmy, that's a brilliant idea. You should be a mechanical engineer or work for some NASCAR team. No kidding. So simple but so effective. Hat's off to you.

If I didn't have the KenneBell intercooler/turbo scoop lower air dam assembly, this idea of yours I would do in an instant. On my system, since there's lots of leaves all over the road in the autumn and fall, (we live way, way out in the sticks) I fabricated screens for the intercooler scoop and the turbo inlet scoop out of metal gutter guards from Home Depot. I used round head machine screws to fasten the screens inside both scoops. Works great in keeping leaves out. Looks cool, too. I painted the center screen black but painted the driver side screen red, and it's set back into the scoop about two one half inches. Anyway, great job there, Jim. Great job. You have my vote.:tongue:

Bruce '87 Grand National

so who's gonna be the first one to do some testing?? Getting real close to putting my intercooler in and still looking into doing this

Man, I did this mod on my GN about 8 years ago back when it had a stock intercooler................ I dont think its worth "testing"

Jimmy, that's a brilliant idea.

Thanks Bruce but it wasn't mine. I got the tip from the board about 8 years ago as Neil said. I installed it because my factory scoop was missing when I bought the car. I did acquire a scoop and shroud assembly but I still run the "trasher".

-Jimmy

so who's gonna be the first one to do some testing?? Getting real close to putting my intercooler in and still looking into doing this

go to officemax or office depot...you'll need the 34 or 36 quart trash, i dont remember
cut as shown, 4 screws with washers etc...you can either leave the bottom on or cut it off when you chop can in half, if you leave it on , the can is more rigid, if cut off..of course its more floppy without the support

Attachments

• trash.jpg
    trash.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 778
I'm definitely doing this. I love inexpensive (not to mention ingenious) mods!

Thanks guys

Anyone try this mod with a CAS stock location V-4 yet or is it even possible since the scoop has to surround the front sway bar on a V-4?

I think it would be a good idea for fixing a busted scoop otherwise may not be worth the effort. It does make me wonder if temp does drop though

I did mine about 4 years ago. My wife still hasnt figured out what happened to that black Rubbermaid trash can that was in the kitchen.:D

Attachments

• scoop 001 (Custom).jpg
    scoop 001 (Custom).jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 499
  • scoop 002 (Custom).jpg
    scoop 002 (Custom).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 512
  • scoop 003 (Custom).jpg
    scoop 003 (Custom).jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 489
Did mine this week. My scoop was busted up (all the screw holes were torn) and this mod was perfect for me.

Thanks Guys!

Rob,

Save your money........If you are interested have a Precision Front mount that will be for sale very soon. I have a custom front mount being made for my car to compliment the new GT42-76 turbo. The Precision IC won't come with intercooler pipes because I made major modifications and need to use them with the new IC. (Wiggins clamp on the TB and a V band on the turbo outlet)

Precision will sell you the pipes and clamps/hoses separate.

Just weighing in....I did mine 6 years ago...sucks in a but load of air.

Attachments

• front1.jpg
    front1.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 276
IMO here was my intercooler swap to a front mount.....only $250.00 for intercooler, pipes, hoses, and clamps!!:wink: I can give ya the specifics if ya decide to go with it just shoot me a PM.

Attachments

• intercooler conversion (2).jpg
    intercooler conversion (2).jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 275
Anyone try this mod with a CAS stock location V-4 yet or is it even possible since the scoop has to surround the front sway bar on a V-4?

I would be interested also, in knowing results/tips, for useing this mod in conjunction w/CAS V4 SLICK....Good question Darkside! I would think that the trashcan would have to be notched to accept the swaybar; just like the CAS shroud is...? Feedback, from those 'in the know' would be appreciated:cool:

I would be interested also, in knowing results/tips, for useing this mod in conjunction w/CAS V4 SLICK....Good question Darkside! I would think that the trashcan would have to be notched to accept the swaybar; just like the CAS shroud is...? Feedback, from those 'in the know' would be appreciated:cool:

I tied my trashcan into the existing metal shroud that came with my PTE IC. A few metal screws and black duct tape and its all good.:D