TTA SS 3" Custom Downpipe?

I finally found a Terry Houston 3 inch SS downpipe with the flex joint and it is really perfect. This would be the one that I would think most people would really want if you could compare them. I'd be willing to let somebody copyedit before I put it on the car... I haven't seen any movement on this thread

We have finally received the die for the machine to bend 3" pipe, and hopefully this will be the last obstacle in our way to finally build the TTA pipe?

The fixture is done, and we have the flanges with the pucks to assemble the pipes when bent.

Our plan is to make the basic pipe in 2 pieces with a slip joint near the turbo.

A third pipe would make the bend to the tailpipe w/o a flex joint, but this is not yet firm until the initial pipes are made and test fit to a TTA.

Unfortunately for us, the shop is slammed with orders for high $$$$ headers, so scheduling is tough?

I finally found a Terry Houston 3 inch SS downpipe with the flex joint and it is really perfect. This would be the one that I would think most people would really want if you could compare them. I'd be willing to let somebody copyedit before I put it on the car... I haven't seen any movement on this thread

Good score, i still have a old ATR ex/gate that fit like a glove

Regarding these downpipes and headers... Considering the low production number of these cars and the fact that they are 25 years old, it's probably safe to assume that there are less than 1000 drivable TTA's

I would really think it would be cheaper to just fabricate headers and downpipes than to set up lots of complex tooling to make a dozen or two-dozen sets. I know the owner of 417motorsports and he's done production runs of around 30 headers (LSX in a 240sx) and he fabricated them. That may have been from necessity, but my point is that it may be cheaper to fabricate these items than to set up tooling for such a small run.

I could be wrong though.

We have finally received the die for the machine to bend 3" pipe, and hopefully this will be the last obstacle in our way to finally build the TTA pipe?

The fixture is done, and we have the flanges with the pucks to assemble the pipes when bent.

Our plan is to make the basic pipe in 2 pieces with a slip joint near the turbo.

A third pipe would make the bend to the tailpipe w/o a flex joint, but this is not yet firm until the initial pipes are made and test fit to a TTA.

Unfortunately for us, the shop is slammed with orders for high $$$$ headers, so scheduling is tough?
Any update on these?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Any update on these?

We have not given up on the TTA down pipe, but there is a major problem with the recently purchased $100K mandrel pipe bending machine?

It is working well on 1-1/2", 2" and 2-1/2" bends, but not on 3" pipe even after spending a few $$$$ on new tooling. The equipment manufacturer is working to get this resolved, but until then many other projects are also on hold unfortunately.

We have made the investment in the fixture for the TTA down pipe which has been completed, and we have a local turbo Pontiac to actually do the test fit as soon as the machine can do the bends properly.

Once the machine can do the bends properly and the first test unit is proven on the local TTA, we will bend about 20 units, and they will be completed in groups of 5 unless there are additional pre-orders.

I am too embarrassed about the delay in the initial time frame development of this project to state any further production date at this point, but I do appreciate the support and patience from members here, thank you all!

Thanks for the response. I'm holding out as long as I can, but my mild steel down pipe is like Swiss cheese. Hopefully you vet everything figured out. Thanks

Any further interest in this pipe? I have a perfect TH 3" downpipe with flex pipe( that is important to our cars). I'd be willing to let somebody responsible use it as a template, for a price break on a new one. I test fit it last weekend and it is as well made as you could hope for. I don't have any performance test numbers, but it is obviously free flowing compared to the stock pieces. Bill

Im definitely interested in buying one with an external waste gate setup. Whats the status on these pipes??

Yeah apparently...haha
You would think a $100k machine would be capable of bending 5" pipe even...

Yeah apparently...haha
You would think a $100k machine would be capable of bending 5" pipe even...

I agree with what you have said as the machine will bend 2" and 2-1/2" tubing fine, but not 3"? This project is beyond embarrassing for me, not to mention how much I have invested in it.

The fixture is made for the TTA pipe, and I will try to have it done elsewhere.

I am extremely disappointed in this project, but I will see if I can use another source to make a run of these pipes.

There is one outside source I can try, and at least check it out and post if this is a possibility.

However, there is no possibility of doing a TTA DP with an external waste gate except for a custom, one-of basis.

Yeah that company that you bought the machine from needs to get their shit together. It's definitely not your fault at all. I'll be touching base w you later then on that custom external wastegate dp build. Good luck w your machine hopefully they work out the kinks soon.

Here is a custom external assembly we made for a GN customer using TA 4-bolt SS headers with the wastegate by-pass returning to the DP with a slip joint:

DP EXT 2.jpg

That looks really good. I know it's going to be a tight fit on the TTA w an external waste-gate setup but w the right custom build it should work.

This thread has been beyond embarrassing for me, but finally after 2 years I had a fixture made, and a pro-type TTA downpipe fabricated.:oops:

The fixture is now at a shop in California which has promised to build these pipes for me.

I also furnished him with 10 RJC flanges for the first batch of SS pipes which should be completed in a month or so.

Since I sold both of my TTA's to local friends, one of them will do the test install, and we can then mock up the intermediate pipe to the exhaust.

An encouraging thing is this shop has done excellent work for me in the past, and he will do his best to make this a quality product!