Turbo Selection

CalgaryGN

First off I would like to run a low to mid 12 on alky and pump gas, possibly an 11. Right now I have a hooker exhaust, cone air filter, joe lubrant street chip, 30lb injectors, powerplate and all the freebie mods. (also have afpr, scanmaster, and boost/fp gague) Over the winter I would like to spice the car up a bit and give it a litle more oomph. First take will be porting and polishing the heads, and re-doing the tranny. Also if this stuff is gonna cost me the same as to run a 12.5 as opposed to a high 11, I would prefer an 11 :D My questions are :

1) What would be the best turbo ?
2) Injector Size ?
3) Converter ?
4) Camshaft ? (are teh new comp cams HR any good ?)
5) Downpipe? How far can the stocker be used ?

Have I missed anything else ? If so let me know, I would like to build a solid performer yet very streetable. I am going to do all the things listed and would like to buy the right parts and have a nice combo. Thanks

Unless you're ready to spend big money, and the heads still have the factory seal on them, I'd leave them alone and not mess with the cam either. Just slap a nice converter on there, some bigger injectors (50#) and a 44, 52, 53, 54, 60, 61, or 62 turbo on there and have fun. Once you go above this setup, you start making serious horsepower and breaking things. This type of setup also is relatively cheap. Just need converter injectors and turbo. Once you go bigger you'll need a lot of other supporting mods, such as the heads cleaned up etc. How much are you looking to spend.

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
Unless you're ready to spend big money, and the heads still have the factory seal on them, I'd leave them alone and not mess with the cam either. Just slap a nice converter on there, some bigger injectors (50#) and a 44, 52, 53, 54, 60, 61, or 62 turbo on there and have fun. Once you go above this setup, you start making serious horsepower and breaking things. This type of setup also is relatively cheap. Just need converter injectors and turbo. Once you go bigger you'll need a lot of other supporting mods, such as the heads cleaned up etc. How much are you looking to spend.

Spending cash on the heads is no big deal as I get really, really good deals on machine shop stuff:D I wanted to replace the original timing chain anyhow and thought a cam would help out, doesnt need to be radical, I jsut like having fresh parts. I dont want to break things either. What is a good converter to get and what turbo then ?? I am not looking to spend a fortune, just want to run a low 12 high 11 for the cheapest most reliable way.

I can run low 12's all day with my combo on 93 + alcohol. I can get into the 11's if I hook.

I think porting and polishing the heads is always a great idea(but as black6pack says you never get as good of a seal as stock sealing).I would do it anyway it will make your goals obtainable with out pushing it as hard.( not that low 12s and high 11s are that hard to reach with these cars).

1.Dont know the best turbo a 50 or 60 series.

2.Get the msd 50s and a good chip.

3.A 3000-3200 PTS 9/11 lock up is a great converter.

4.A weber 206/206 (dont know of the new cams)

5.3 THDP

You dont list it so I will say make sure you have a hotwired 340 fuel pump in there so you will have the gas you need.

A lot of people have done the times you want without breaking into the motor,so you will get a lot of opinions.I had the parts listed above but mine was a roller cam and I was running the 44turbo and a PTE front mount and ran a 7.3 @ 93 in the 1/8 with 19psi.

combo

Stock cam can go into 10's.
I believe Red Armstrong had his wife's car in 10's w/stock d/pipe.
Get a timing chain on it now.
A PT54,50# inj,good chip,alky and/or better intercooler,3000+ stall,slicks should get in the 11's with good traction,20+# boost,60ft in 1.5-1.6 range.

1) What would be the best turbo ? Single Ball bearing 66.
2) Injector Size ? 50's or new 57's high impedance. Eric marshall alky. chip.
3) Converter ? 3200-3400 stall lockup if street driven.
4) Camshaft ? (are teh new comp cams HR any good ?) Skip it for now.
5) Downpipe? How far can the stocker be used ?
Mease or THDP.

I'd skip the heads and cam until you pop a headgasket. :eek:

Debating those issues myself right now shooting for high 11's on the pump gas and alky.

I am skipping the cam I think if I go with ported irons. Unless somebody can talk me into replacing the stocker.

Re: combo

Originally posted by ITSAV6
Stock cam can go into 10's.
I believe Red Armstrong had his wife's car in 10's w/stock d/pipe.
Get a timing chain on it now.
A PT54,50# inj,good chip,alky and/or better intercooler,3000+ stall,slicks should get in the 11's with good traction,20+# boost,60ft in 1.5-1.6 range.

This is the combo I have heard lots about and will prob lean towards the above mentioned. And yes I already have the pump hotwired.

The only reason I mention camshaft is jsut to have a fresh one, but are the gains worth it ? Even just to have a fresh one slightly better than stock ?

If you want to do it cheap, put a te44 on there, 50 lb injectors and have all the supporting mods (exhaust, k&n, hotwired fuel pump etc) and you can run high 11s with the stock converter, heads, and cam. No need to change the cam unless you wipe a lobe. The stock cam is good and lasts a long time.

Check out my build at my site. I may bring it down to Race City before the snow flies. Now that the convertor is finally sorted it should run some real numbers this weekend. Most of the parts will be for sale through the winter.

I have got my car to go 12.09 with a pretty sad state of tune. I was running a te45a, 50s, powerstroke intercooler and a diy alchy kit. I also have a 204/214 cam, port matched heads and intake. Of course it could go faster, but I drive it everyday. Just got ported heads and I think the turbo will grow over winter so hopefully the numbers will be more impressive next spring.

Zak

This may help. If what I was reading was right.

I had a GN, Stolen. But had a 49, ported heads,stock location intercooler. non factory. Pump, wires and a good tune.

First ime out with 36pnd injectors. was 12.19, 12.20,12.21

!7 pnds. of boost,3pnds out for start.Air bags, and D-5 convertor,
with shift kit. car ran lean on top end. but had great street manners. Used McCreay's street slicks on stock rims.

Maybe this will also help as everyone has done. I was in a GN with a 52. Also seemed like a great turbo. I would listen to the guys on the heads, remember they have been through it.

Cam forget. Stock is great. Just my opion.......hope I did some good.

Out of curosity why are some guys saying don't do the heads and cam ?? Money isnt an issue and by having those parts, wont it be easier to achieve my goal ? (possibly better) My understanding by having those parts is it wouldn't have to as work hard to achieve the same goal. I thought the Turbo Buick heads flow asful and a little cleanup would help. Thanks for all the input.

Have no idea why everyone seems to be leading you away from

porting your heads. Could be they are finding out that to a point it's not needed.

I would have the ports done. And also new and larger valves.

As for the cam. Jeez I ran a stock cam with no problems.

Could be the reason. Like stock exhaust. Again to a point no need to replace.......HTH'ed

spend your money where it is needed.

My answers...

1) What would be the best turbo ? TA-49/TE-44. Can easily run high-11, and will spool like a stocker on the street.
2) Injector Size ? Recommend MSD-50's or bigger.
3) Converter ? A 3,000 stall lock-up of good quality. I have a 2,800 re-stalled D5 that I really like.
4) Camshaft ? (are teh new comp cams HR any good ?) Stock. Keep it until it wipes a lobe. Save the $$$ for a good intercooler.
5) Downpipe? How far can the stocker be used ? Terry Houston or equivalent 3" DP. Big improvement.

With the above equipment (except I had a stock D5 converter and stock I/C), I ran 11.97 on 100-octane. Which means that 11.97 on alky should be a breeze. With my CAS V-2, PTE turbine housing, and some more tuning, I should be able to get an 11.8 or so on 100-octane. Will know in about 2 weeks.

I tend to think that people over-turbo themselves. I run a TA-49, and I've pulled 1.6 sixty-foots launching off the foot brake at 3psi. When your turbo spools FAST, you don't need trans brakes, etc. to get good sixty-foots. Plus, having quick spool is very helpful on the street :cool:

Ported heads and bigger cams are always helpful. They are however very un-necessary for high 11's.

Good Luck,

The more I think now, the less I want to spend money later so would like to be slightly overkill per say, it sucks to buy or do things twice. I think I wanna go with the pt54 turbo and 50lb injectors. So If I went with those parts, my mods right now and heads and a cam what should the car have the potential to run then ?? Just asking out of curosity, don't want to break either, thanks I want to guarantee myself an 11 sec slip, I need to break a few hearts around here;) :D

I would say with that combo and a good tune.

I think11.02's are attainable. You might fine larger injectors are in order. But this is with heads, convertor, Trans done, inter-cooler

But should make a nice car. I would check into the turbo though since there might be a better combo.

Good luck also I plan on using a multi-wheel chip. Might want to give a look,...........HTH'ed

People are telling you not to do the heads and cam cuz its expensive. You're looking at $800 in labor just to take the heads off and put them back on. Then your looking at $500-2000 for heads. Cam can get well into the $2000 range if your not careful.

Don't get me wrong, heads and cam really wake these cars up, but they do pretty darn good with the stock stuff.

If you're going to do heads and cam, it sounds like you want a pretty mean beast. If thats the case, I'd go with something bigger than a pte54. I'd look into the TE45 or one of the newer turbos.

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
People are telling you not to do the heads and cam cuz its expensive. You're looking at $800 in labor just to take the heads off and put them back on. Then your looking at $500-2000 for heads. Cam can get well into the $2000 range if your not careful.

Don't get me wrong, heads and cam really wake these cars up, but they do pretty darn good with the stock stuff.

If you're going to do heads and cam, it sounds like you want a pretty mean beast. If thats the case, I'd go with something bigger than a pte54. I'd look into the TE45 or one of the newer turbos.

For my specials it won't cost me that for heads so no worries, plus all the installation and removal will be done by me, so no cost there just time. I dont want to have it to the point of breaking stuff, just a badass car. So if the heads are done and it probably will be a stock downpipe for this year, what would eb a good turbo other than the pt54 ? Also how much bigger on the injectors and what camshaft ?