Turbo Selection

I'd go a minimum of 55 lb injectors, and with heads and cam I'd probably look at the 72's or 83s, and a good 3500 stall converter. I was afraid my 3500 converter would be too much for the street, but after installing it, I can barely tell I have a high stall converter. Can't tell you much on the turbo. The 54 is about the largest "small shaft" turbo. Garret has come out with a new line of turbos that are more efficient then those that we have been using for the last 10 years. Do a little research on here and see what you find. I have the 54 and like it, but if I were to do it again, I'd get one of the newer designs. Can't help you much with the cam since I'm running a little ATR 313 cam which is just slightly larger than stock.

Might want to ask in the general tech area what turbo and cam to go along with what you want. Sounds like your looking at a mid 10s setup on kill, that would run easy mid 11s on alky.

Some think the factory sealed headgaskets were put on by elves with special powers from GM. ;)

I'm one of those. ;)

If you are a good mechanic and can duplicate the factory seal while installing heads and cam of good quality you will do fine.

Pointy shoes may help you a bit. :cool:

If not you will be wishing you had your stock heads, cam, and factory seal back. :(

Do the injectors, turbo, high stall converter, downpipe, valve springs, and bolt on stuff the first year and run it. Get some baseline info. and be happy. :)

Originally posted by salvageV6
Some think the factory sealed headgaskets were put on by elves with special powers from GM. ;)

I'm one of those. ;)

If you are a good mechanic and can duplicate the factory seal while installing heads and cam of good quality you will do fine.

Pointy shoes may help you a bit. :cool:

If not you will be wishing you had your stock heads, cam, and factory seal back. :(

Do the injectors, turbo, high stall converter, downpipe, valve springs, and bolt on stuff the first year and run it. Get some baseline info. and be happy. :)

Wish me Luck on the Head sealing, while I am at it I will install head studs to help sealing. Is there any one headgasket that is better than the rest ? The reason I want to do the heads as well is I am gonna have lots off the motor as it is to get ceramic coated and polished, so while its in this state, might as well tear into it a little further.

Might as well.... :)

If I ever get ported irons I will be going with the stock gaskets and perhaps the stock TTY bolts too, or ARP bolts, no studs.

But my motor only has 150K on it and the factory seal is still okay so I'm waiting. :D

Why not go all out and get the GN1 aluminum heads? Roller hydraulic cam. Assuming money is no object that is. :)

Originally posted by salvageV6
Might as well.... :)

Why not go all out and get the GN1 aluminum heads? Roller hydraulic cam. Assuming money is no object that is. :)

Money isnt that good, I just get good parts and machine shop deals, really good deals:D

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
People are telling you not to do the heads and cam cuz its expensive.

You're looking at $800 in labor just to take the heads off and put them back on.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused: :confused: :eek: :eek: :eek:

So lets use this, if i were to have the heads ported, the camshaft and a min of a pt54, also alky injection, would 50lb injectors be good or would it be better to get bigger so in the chance of more upgrade, I only have to buy parts once.

I'd go bigger, actually I did. I have 55lb injectors, and I have a little cam and my heads were just slightly ported and polished.

Is the reason your looking at the 54 due to cost, cuz as I said before, there are newer more efficient turbos out there now, but they do cost more.

I'd go bigger, actually I did. I have 55lb injectors, and I have a little cam and my heads were just slightly ported and polished.

Is the reason your looking at the 54 due to cost, cuz as I said before, there are newer more efficient turbos out there now, but they do cost more.

How much more do they cost, if it was minimal I'd consider it. Where can I find pricing on stuff as well ? Would it be better to go to a 72Lb injector as I can get them at the same price as a 50Lb ?

Its not a bunch more, I think the 50s are about $75 a piece and the 55s are $85, and the 72s about $100 each. You also have to pay about $125 to upgrade your computer. Somebody is selling 57 lb high z injectors, but I dont know the price.

Look at:
Ramchargers
Cottons Performance
Precision Turbo
Racetronix

or other vendors that advertise here

Its not a bunch more, I think the 50s are about $75 a piece and the 55s are $85, and the 72s about $100 each. You also have to pay about $125 to upgrade your computer. Somebody is selling 57 lb high z injectors, but I dont know the price.

Look at:
Ramchargers
Cottons Performance
Precision Turbo
Racetronix

or other vendors that advertise here

What are the difference in turbo prices I meant to say, sorry

50lb'ers are not going to work well with a 54 and ported heads. Mine are at 90% already and I have more in the car and stock heads. I wouldn't bother with 55's. If you're going to mod the ECM go to 72s and be done with it for awhile.

The man I bouht my T from ran 7.0's in 1/8th and engine is stock from throttle body to pan,front mount, TE6# turbo,not sure on inj,9" AC 3500. He smoked the little sealing elves years ago!:D