turbo V6 and the 700R4?

dr_frankenstein

Mad Scientist
Can anybody give me any opinions if this is a good or bad idea?

I understand the adapter isnt the greatest idea, but I have one... and a solid rebuilt 700... are they a terrible mismatch for a light body (2367lbs) that maybe will turn 11s?

I heard that 1st to 2nd gear spacing may cause trouble....

my setup has a non removable cross member and was originally set up for a small block and the 700. The small block is long gone, but the trans ran good and i would rather not have to modify the crossmember if I dont have too.

thoughts, opinions, 2 cents, storys, etc etc..... im open to em all.

Thanks

I know it's kind of apples to oranges, but I've had a tpi camaro and the buick I have now. After driving a car with a 200r4, that will be the only trans I use if I ever have to pull and replace. The gear spread sucks in the 700 as far as I'm concerned. the 200r4 just seems much more linear with the different gear.

But AJ you already have the trans, it's in there, run it and see what happens. WOrst case is you won't like it and put in a 200r4

If I was building a frankenstein project and already had the 700 and the adapter, I'd run it! Especially if the 700 is already set up as far as crossmember/ds length/etc.

well this is the time and point when a decision needs to be made. once either is installed in the location it will be very difficult to change back and forth due to space limitations.

im not opposed to changing the crossmember, but if the 700 is a waste of time in our application i need to know now before the body is dropped back onto the chassis.

I dont want to be wrong if everyone is right.

Can anybody give me any opinions if this is a good or bad idea?

I understand the adapter isnt the greatest idea, but I have one... and a solid rebuilt 700... are they a terrible mismatch for a light body (2367lbs) that maybe will turn 11s?

I heard that 1st to 2nd gear spacing may cause trouble....

my setup has a non removable cross member and was originally set up for a small block and the 700. The small block is long gone, but the trans ran good and i would rather not have to modify the crossmember if I dont have too.

thoughts, opinions, 2 cents, storys, etc etc..... im open to em all.

Thanks

Why don't you contact Lonnie at Extreme Automatics and ask him. He works on both and will give you honest information.

I have a 700 in my Buick wagon.. biggest piece of shit I have ever had.. NUFF said.:mad:

Grumpy said it best, I would not trust a 700/4L60E behind anything with more than 200HP... They are turds and it couldn't even handle a stock 5.3 in my old truck..

,Dan

I agree. The 700 is inferior. Also, you will miss the WOT upshift to OD as the 700 doesn't have it like the 200-4R does (I've shut down a few close opponents thanks to that feature). Lots of drawbacks to the 700, the list could go on and on.

see this is what I wanted to know, had i gone ahead with the 700 I would have been stuck with it until the body or engine was re pulled.

well chit..... guess i need to find a 200:(

I have built quite a few 700/4L60(E)s for higher horsepower and have yet to have one blow up. One is for a border patrol agent and in a 68 big block Camaro that dyno'd an honest 631 horsepower. He drives with street tires all the time and that trans is going on 6 years now. Another is in a 55 Chevy 210 with a 468 in front of it and that one is going on 3 years now. These aren't dedicated drag cars and not under full throttle all the time and haven't spit anything out. Weak point is input drum splines to front sun gear. Tend to blow the spline area open. These transmissions don't have the Art Carr hardened ring/support. Just a good solid build with quality parts and a valve body that times the shifts correctly. If that guy on Hwy 70 did it for you, I am sure he has the timing down right. :)

I used to have a Monte Carlo that ran in the 11s on motor and around 10.50 on nitrous. I had a rebuilt 700 and it lasted many years like that. Probably 10 years and it was fine. I also had a 200-4R burn up in a stock low-miles GN. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but I don't think you can just generalize and say all 700's are junk.

Ask on other sites too. This site probably holds the 200-4r in higher regard than any other place on earth.

The 700 is JUNK! Go with the 200 if you are going to put a lot of highway miles on it because the overdrive will save some gas and it will bring rpm's down considerably. If you are putting it into a monster, go with a turbo 400. For a 11 second car that is that light, go with the 200.

Wish we could program the 200r with the ecm like you can the 4l60 and 4l80.:(

well I get super mixed feelings from people everywhere.......

some love it..... some hate it............

lots of good advice on the subject.... and I think im going to be ballsy and try it. Im working on setting the chassis up in a way to facilitate a 200 swap over if need be once the car is in action.

thanks for everyones input

Since you're still at bare frame status I'd put everything together with the 700 first and then remove the tranny to see what you may need to change Aj. I'm sure 1 of the guys out there can loan you a tranny for fitting things up just in case things go south.;)

Heres some dimensions

Attachments

• tranny_dimensions.jpg
    tranny_dimensions.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 154