twilight sentinel

gn1220

How rare is this option? I found a limited in the junkyard today and thohght about getting it to put in my G.N. I look all the time and this is the first one i've seen in the junkyard. I started to remove it but it looks like a pain to get all the wires out intact,no cutting. I probably would never use but it would be neat to have if it is rare. What would it be worth? thanks in advance

That is a rare option and especially rare to find in a junk yard. I don't know how hard it is to install but if you get it make sure you get all the parts including the little circular grill on top of the dash and the instrument panel trim that has the hole cut out for the twilight sentinel switch.

Some other things to look for on the car since it's a limited.

Cornering lamps on the front fenders
climate control (heard this is a pain to install)
dash plaque on passenger side (should say 'limited') (very rare if it's gray and not wood tone)
upper door panels with the hard plastic door pull straps if they are in good shape.

hope this helps
turboman

and the instrument panel trim that has the hole cut out for the twilight sentinel switch.
If you trash this piece, I make 'em!

Attachments

• oemsample.jpg
    oemsample.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 339
Originally posted by gn1220
How rare is this option? I found a limited in the junkyard today and thohght about getting it to put in my G.N. I look all the time and this is the first one i've seen in the junkyard. I started to remove it but it looks like a pain to get all the wires out intact,no cutting. I probably would never use but it would be neat to have if it is rare. What would it be worth? thanks in advance

Ther is something on gnttype on adding this option most of our cars already have the wiring you just need the switch the sensor and the box behind the dash.Its a nice option to have look on gnttpe if you already have the wires in there it is not hard to do and worth it IMO.

Hey get the controller box from behind the glove box door, white plastic box 3-4" square. I'll give you $20 plus $5 shipping for it.

:)

Prolly 1 in 10 TR's had it maybe 1 in 12.

Just my .02.

Went ahead and took it out of the car today, what a pain! The good thing was the dash was "removed " from the car and in the front seat so I had access to the wires, relays and plugs. I hated to do it because I saved the whole harness but I had to cut the wires that go to the fuse box. I also got the switch and the overlay on the dash bezel. The one thing I didn't get ( but hid in case I can't find a new one) was that white box, it said "do not repair,replace" on the side so I figured it should be replaced. If the car is not wired already for this option I will not fool with it ,let me know if you are interested.

The twilight sentinel is a slam dunk if your car has a factory alarm. All the wiring is already there, drill the hole in the dash for the sensor and then it's just plug and play. If it doesn't have the alarm, I'd bet it would be a much harder project.

salvageV6 - I have an extra controller box that I can test to be good that I'll sell ya for that price!
:)

There is a guy from Connecticutt who goes by the name of REGALLIMITED. His name is Chris and he did the entire swap on his 87 turbo Limited. It looked factory. You might want to do a search and email him.
It is a very rare option. I have personally on seen one car with it.

My car has twilight sentinel on it and I never use the headlight switch at all. The car does it for me. The most likely weak spot is the actual sensor. Make sure you got the thing complete including the little blue lens under the little grill piece. The sensors used are special in that they change resistance a huge amount from light to dark and if the range isn't enough it will tend to get stuck on or off. On my car it would go high enough so it would never turn on. If you have the wiring diagram it won't be that hard to add.

You can still get the sensor from GM but they are pricy.

I saw an 87-89 Lesabre in the yard once that had twillight sentinnel. The switch appeared to be the same as the one used in the Regal. I wonder if the other pieces are the same? What about a Riviera as well?

Could very well be the same parts from other cars. Yes you need the controller box and the photocell with the lens on top and the dash top panel with the hole in it or make your own hole.

Hey Brandon if you have a working one let me know and I'll get the money out to ya! Use my AOL email addy. for contact. And thanks.

Go back and get the box... :)

Both my cars have that option. One even works.

Hey one tip here guys if your instrument panel lights short out while under the sentinel control you blow up the module. Shifter bulb wire shorting out took out my module. :(

Originally posted by 86gn
Ther is something on gnttype on adding this option

I wrote that article, here it is:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/bodygauges/twilight.html

I remember there was one minor error in the text, but I can't find it right now. I'll look again. :D

I've added TS to 2 cars including my GNX. Works great. I highly recommend using BFH's overlay piece because it looks 97-44/100 % factory and saves you the agony of cutting your GM overlay. Use a heat gun to get yours off carefully.

Mike [:)

I agree with Mike!! Use BFH's dash overlay, it looks great! I had the factory overlay that I got from the donor regal, but it had the tan stripe around it. I replaced it with BFH's, now it looks 100% factory. To drill the hole in the upper dash piece I first drilled a pilot hole with a regular bit, then I used a uni-bit for the larger hole. It cut a very very smooth hole in the plastic dash piece. The uni-bits are kind of pricey, so I would try to find a friend to borrow one from. I would highly recommend using one rather than just using a large conventional bit.

salvageV6 - I'll test one of my extra control boxes and e-mail you back. I have to go to the garage and "search" for the box I have it stored in. I'll plug it into my car to test.

opened my glove box and searched for the plug, don't think i have the harness. Anybody done this without it? Like i said I had to cut the wires at the fuse box. Is that where they stop or is there something that I might need from under the hood? Don't know anybody with this option so I have nothing to compare it to.thanks for the input so far, guess i scored a pretty rare option

LOTS of wiring for this project without the harness in place. :(

Wiring to photocell, headlamp switches, chime module, sentinel control switches you are adding, ign. switch. You would need to make a nice neat harness and then add the control box in MHO.

I found a set up!

I was out at the local U Pull it yard last weekend and found an 88 Park Ave T Type that had it. The switches,etc looked just like the Regal ones. I ended up pulling the dash out and cut open the harness. I took all the wires that were related to the headlight/twillight circuit. I grabbed the switch, the photocell and the module. I just need to find someone with a wiring diagram for our cars since I "might" attempt it.

Yes, I am definitely interested in checking it out. DO you have anyway of scanning the diagram into a .JPG format?

Sorry, only old school here. I can copy them and mail them to you. I will see if my friend at work can do that for me.