what bov are you guys running?

My 86 has the HKS race BOV, and my 87 will be getting the Blitz SSBOV soon.
Between the 2 the Blitz one hands down for looks, sound and functionality. The HKS BOV was on the 86 when I bought it so I left it.
Had a hopped up Nissan Skyline GTS-t when I lived in Japan and the Blitz is what I used there and it was great.

No need for a BOV on these cars. My stock turbo lasted 165,000 miles. Its just one more thing that can go wrong. Spend your money on something useful like a SCANMASTER.

BOVS--BOVS--BOVS

Apexi has a very nice dual-chambered adjustable BOV! (Around 150-170)

The new HKS Super Sequential BOV is awesome also! (Around 225-250)

Boardmember "Taffy" can possibly help you get a good price on either one.

HTH :)

If everybody on this site responded, I would bet that 95% would answer that they dont have one and would rather spend the money on something that makes their car faster, not something is just a fad because their honduh friends use them. I haven't seen anybody that has installed one on a TR and ever mention it again. I know I wouldn't say a word after spending a couple hundred bucks installing one on my car because my car won't run any faster, live any longer, or do anything better except sound cool when I get out of boost. Your money will be better spent on things like a better fuel pump, hotwire kit, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, adjustable wastegate, suspension mods for better launches, etc..

Had one, Blitx "Super Sound" BOV changed IC piping, couldn't run it anymore, don't miss it either. :)

Ditto for money spent somewhere else statement.

I would go for a gear drive if you want a kewl sound LOL:)
To me its waist of money knowing a stock turbo lasts as long as they do without one:D

An electric cutout in a test pipe activated by a hobbs switch would provide the Kewlness required and also provide a performance boost as a bonus. Should be roughly the same price.

Okey let me clear things up a bit!

I posted this question for a friend that is new to Turbo Regals.

He was worried about the pressure getting forced back into the turbo possibly causing failure. Im guess since he put his big mouth intake on he's become concerned, He does not want it for a cool sound or anything like that, just as some added insurance for later on down the road.

Thanks for everyone's feed back, I guess a bov in the Tr community is a waste of money so he's gone to put it towards something else.

Later

Hey, no flames were intended, just glad he came to see the light on the dark side:D :D I understand that alot of people feel the need for a BOV, and in stick cars, they make a huge with the longevity of the turbo's bearings so reason would state they will make a big difference on the TR's also. This isn't the case though as proven by the hundreds or even thousands of TR turbo's that have lasted well over 100,000 miles. What has killed more TR turbos than probably anything else, would be lack of proper oiling usually from the feed line getting clogged. HTH and for only a few $$ your friend can replace the oil feed line and prolong the life of his turbo at least as much as he could by installing a BOV for a couple hundred.

A BOV won't diminish the life of a turbocharger. Using a $200 BOV with a $1500 turbo is cheap insurance whether it helps longevity or not....According to JC it's not needed. However I run one and will continue to as long as there is an expensive turbo under my hood. Probably money well spent elsewhere on a stockish car, but in my case $200 is a drop in the bucket...

Originally posted by STP

However I run one and will continue to as long as there is an expensive turbo under my hood.

Ditto that!

"Ye pays ye money, ye takes ye choice"

As if every $ spent on these cars yielded a performance gain...LOL! :)

There are those that feel 125-200 on a BOV is a wasteful sin, but bought or crave a 1000-1200 FMIC...or a 2000 set of wheels/tires. LOL! :)
============================================

Whatever spins anyone's turbo is the best choice for them!! :)

Originally posted by geno
I would go for a gear drive if you want a kewl sound LOL:)
To me its waist of money knowing a stock turbo lasts as long as they do without one:D

I just made a little joke and didnt mean to flame anyone:)
Im just from the keep it simple stupid school :cool:

Originally posted by geno
Im just from the keep it simple stupid school :cool:

Thats cool, I'm just from the Too Broke to buy parts that don't make my car faster school

Originally posted by 1badTTA
Thats cool, I'm just from the Too Broke to buy parts that don't make my car faster school

Sell one of those cars in your sig. :)

I ran a borrowed one in my car with a 62 for a while. I liked it. Stock turbos may last forever, but how long do upgraded ones last? And you know damn well once this new guy gets the fever the stocker won't be on there fo long.

LOL

Hey, I still have the stock turbo on my car and don't plan to upgrade any time soon. The stock injectors would have to be the first things to go, then the stock downpipe, then maybe I will think about a bigger turbo. As I already stated, I am a cheap bastard and want to get the most from my parts and my money.

Sell one of those cars in your sig.

Now you are starting to sound like my wife.:eek: :eek:

Not sure a bov is really nessasary due to the fact that turbos on these cars last a long time, or a short time due to the owners changing them due to the need for speed.

That being said, I have a blitz and I like knowing it will help a little on the bearings and it sounds pretty agressive.