what bov are you guys running?

i broke a shaft on a te-51 and attributed it to regularly letting off at 25psi while tuning. i'm afraid not to use one at this point.

I just lost a TE-60 that didn't have close to 10,000 miles on it. I feel that a bigger turbo, pushing alot more air than a stocker, looks to only magnify the problem of compressor surge. It's true my stocker was still going strong at well over 100k, but has alot of play in the shaft. I'm getting a BOV for the new turbo I have coming. That, and a new oil feed line will satisfy my fears of this new one going bad.

a stock eclipse turbo bov from 90-94 will hold 20psi with no problem...get one for the low low price of sticking it in your pocket from the local JY ....can be slightly crushed to hold more psi as well

I keep reading about how they're a waste, don't do it, blah blah blah. I respect everyone opinions...that's what message boards are for :)

But let me ask this..I'm the type of person that is on the gas and then off of it quickly...I don't ease off of the gas...this winter a TE60 is going on the motor..along with a 3'' DP and ported heads...this turbo is gonna be moving some air...I'm putting one on for added protection...am I being stupid and overly protective? Or do I have reason for it due to my driving style?

Like I said earlier, my TE-60 went bad in way less than 10,000 miles. I believe this is in part due to the fact that I drive like you. I floor it and let off. This HAS to do some kind of damage with a big turbo and running 20 psi. Either way, a BOV IS going on my car with the install of my TE63-1. Stockers may last a long time without one probably because they don't move an enormous amount of air. JMO.

SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA!

Originally posted by OneLethal87GN
[B

]I just lost a TE-60 that didn't have close to 10,000 miles on it.

I feel that a bigger turbo, pushing alot more air than a stocker, looks to only magnify the problem of compressor surge.

It's true my stocker was still going strong at well over 100k, but has alot of play in the shaft.

I'm getting a BOV for the new turbo I have coming.

That, and a new oil feed line will satisfy my fears of this new one going bad

[/B]

An ounce of prevention...:)

Originally posted by 1badTTA
would be lack of proper oiling usually from the feed line getting clogged. HTH and for only a few $$ your friend can replace the oil feed line and prolong the life of his turbo

Hey do you have anymore info on this that you could shoot my way?? part#s, pics etc.....

Thanks for the replies guys

I think he's just saying to keep the oil feed line clear and free flowing. I didn't clean or replace mine when I installed the TE-60 and I believe this, along with not having a BOV, contributed to the short life of the 60.

Without a doubt change the oil feed line with every new turbo upgrade, cheap insurance.

The bov on the eclipses need a mod to go up to 20 psi or a little past. There is no guarantee your bov will go that high after the mod so now you are out a bov, flange, and welding labor to your up pipe. Its not worth it to me as its also a small piston bov and would most likely open up on our bigger turbos at higher psi levels.

If your going bov, go 50mm Tial!!

ive had a dsm bov on my car for over a year. i got it for $10. plus flange $10. and i did the welding. i dont even hear it at all unless i boost it over 15psi and let go quick. 20 dollars is very cheap compared to what i spent on my turbo. just extra insurance. i think it is a waste to get a 200 dollar bov that sounds like a bird chirping.

I just found my Craig TE-44 to have shaft movement after going on a few 20 psi blasts and hearing metal on metal squealing!:eek: :eek: Took me 2 minutes to take off my maf pipe and bam, can wiggle the shaft all over the place. Here is my dilemma. This turbo is less than 10 months old and has less than 2000 miles on it. A new stainless oil feed line and stainless oil drain tube were both installed with the turbo. This turbo never saw more than 20 psi. Something has gone wrong here for sure. Not saying a bov would have saved it, but who knows. John Craig and most other turbo vendors say that turbos the size of my 44 and smaller are not in need of a sneeze/bov. I may very well install a bov on my next one, just for insurance and cheap piece of mind. Something went bad wrong, as my turbo was practically brand new with very, very low miles, and it went bad that fast?:confused:

Brad

Since most vendors offer a 12 month warranty on their turbos you are kind of lucky it happened when it did. I'd call and let them know what happened, and install a BOV. I believe most people who don't believe in the BOVs may be surprised when they check for play on their turbos. Just because the turbo spins free and spools quick like it should it doesn't mean there is no play in the shaft. Both of my turbos, the stock and the TE-60, both acted like they were fine. When checked they had severe play in the shaft. IMO, a few hundred for a BOV to protect a turbo that costs 4-5 times more is well worth it.

Young Turbo Buick owner checking in...
I have a HKS BOV on my TTA. I love it and enjoy knowing that I am not hurting the turbo when I go from WOT to nothing.
Pics
http://community.webshots.com/user/gtaburnout
Tell him to do it if he wants and not worry about what everone here is saying. Seems like most these guys hate any change...

And don't dare ask about a Turbo Timer....;)

Hey we all own a Turbo cars, what better sound can you ask for???I thinks most of us will agree the sound of the turbo spooling is much better than the BOV noise....:D

Sorry had to throw in my 2 cents...;)

I ran a DSM BOV on my turbostang when I had stickshift in it, and for sure, it helped keep the turbo spooled between shifts, but now that I switched to auto I will not use a BOV.

Got one!

I do run the 50 mm Tial. It doesen't make any cool noises and it's not very active a low boost, but anytime I'm into it and have to back out quick It makes itself known. :D It will hold more boost than I think i could ever run, and if you get it in the gray finish most people look right over it without even noticeing. I figure it may not make my turbo live longer but it definately can't hurt.