What gear ratio for a 9in

86WH1turbo

Broke
I can get a smokin deal on a currie 9in from a friend of mine but I want to stay as close as possible to stock gearing. I see you can get either a 3.40 or 3.45 for it. Which would be better and why? Thanks for any help.

I can get a smokin deal on a currie 9in from a friend of mine but I want to stay as close as possible to stock gearing. I see you can get either a 3.40 or 3.45 for it. Which would be better and why? Thanks for any help.
whats your combo?345 or 340 both are good..

stroked and forged bottom end
champion cnc ported and polished heads
218/218 roller
PT67 GTQ
Percision FMIC
Alky
Postons headers
70MM throttle body
72lb inj
PTC 3200 converter
Full billet trans
and few other things

I'd go with the 3.40's. They're the closest ratio to stock and you shouldn't see any difference in the speedo reading...

Claude.

275/60/15 nitto DR
Is the work worth it to put a 9" rearend in?
Any issues with the wheel sizes going from an 8.5 to a 9"?

Not worth it, you already have the good parts don't you? I know of plenty of cars with similar combos running just replacemant axles. The 9" will eat up more power too.

If you plan running into the 9's some day id go for it. As far as gearing goes you need to look at you converter mph goals, converter efficiency, and how hard you will be leaving when racing. For a car like yours with a GTQ id assume you plan on running 9.80-10.0. So i would build the combo around running 137-138mph. Your cam will take you to 6000 with iron heads. Id gar it based on that info. Personally id go with a lower numerical number than3.50.

Rob, yes the 8.5 thats in it is pretty well built. I dont know how much I will race the car but I will probably just buy it and someday put it in or hold on to it as a spare.

Bison, more like 3.40 or would you think further?