What rims and tires/slicks to run??

Cmo5

Hello, I need some expertise here! I recently purchased an 87' GN and had one 16 years ago but don't remember what rims I had. I have stock rims now and want to get some light, reasonable cost type rims for the front and back and tires/slicks that will hook nicely for the track. I don't want any rubbing or any modifying to make them work. What rims and tires do you recommend and what sizes and back spacing? Thank you everyone for your help!!

15x8 with 4in backspace is ideal. I run 4.5 backspace with a 5/16" spacer. 28x9 or 26x10 fit nicely.

Rim design would be up to you....but id recommend an aluminum rim of some sort, no smaller then 8" wide on the back with a 255-60 or a 275-60-15" DR for the strip.....the larger the diameter of a rim 17",18" the shorter the side wall will have to be and the less traction you will have if you start making 400+HP.

Last edited:
All of the above... You can find fairly cheap 15X8 rims and DR's 275/60 or 275/50. These rims pictured I bought here on this forum. These are Nitto Tires but he has since changed to MT DR's. Both 275/50
GeoffsNewRims1.jpg
GeoffsNewRims6.jpg

I like those, those are nice! I just want to make sure they don't rub or damage any part of the wheel well. My car "should" run upper 11's at least, so I want to make sure I have proper traction.

those are centerline telstars (terminator ) and they arent what some would call cheap.. 279 ea for 15x8 rear rim http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cll-135804547/overview/
check summit , they have a similar styled rim that used to be sold under summit as summit stars now sold under us wheel and they are about $120 or so each ..for 15x8 youll need a spacer as they only offer 4.5BS
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/uwc-521-5861p/overview/

if you want lighter get the weld prostars 206 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wld-96-58276/overview/
but youll need long shank lug nuts and longer wheel studs to mount them
lightest non budget is the centerline convo pro..275 ea http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cll-005804547
these use short shank lug nuts

oh and forget slicks ,
if you want to hook get the MT ET street radial , if your plans are to hook really hard and you think you can run a 275/60-15 go with the mickey thompson pro .. not really for the street but they are DOT and are amazing at the track

The Telstars @ $279 each is cheap. Of course I bought them used off this list. Paid around $200 each I think? They are on my son's GN.

If you want expensive I have Boyd Timeless 5's on my GN they are $3500 a set. The Telstars at about $1000.00 for set. That is cheap.

Search this forum you never know what you may find?

I'd probably go with the Ultra wheel cheaper rims for now. As far as the 275/60-15 Mickey Thompson Pro, do I need to make any modifications in the wheel wells for those to work?

I'd probably go with the Ultra wheel cheaper rims for now. As far as the 275/60-15 Mickey Thompson Pro, do I need to make any modifications in the wheel wells for those to work?

Nope... no mods needed.

On my 86 ive run the telstars , 15x8 4 bs with 275/60-15 mickeyDRs and 15x6 front with 215/65-15's

for 275 you need to keep the car height up , stock is no problem .. if lowered youll need to be careful of the wheel lip, I rolled mine and eventually notched the frame to run other tire combos (325s) and now im back with the 275 pros but with a 10" rim 5" BS , now the tires are tucked so i can drop the rear even lower

Last edited:
Ok, thank you so much for your help and everyone for their input. It's hard when you haven't had one in 16 years. It's like learning all over again!

to the OP thanks for asking the post, and to the replies, well thanks. Been out of Turbo Buicks for about the same time (since 2001) and looking for a hard hooking tire. Had already "almost" decided to replace the old bias ply 28x10.5's that came with the car and switch to the MT ET Street Radial Pro 275. Now I'm convinced.

Btw, my buddies LS powered/300 nitrous shot Mercury Zephyr wagon runs 5.70's in the 1/8th on those!

oh yeah...I currently have the hand me down 26x4.5 front tires (MT front runners/bias ply).

What front "skinny" you guys run with the new gen radial slicks???