What size injectors?

Zurn

Gabe
Quick question for you guys, what size injectors would you suggest for me? This is what I am going to be putting on the car, all stock for now except dual 2 ½” exhaust with flowmasters. The car will see a little track time, but mostly street use. Not a daily driver.
High volume fuel pump (340), fuel pump hot wire kit, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, power plate for the stock plenum, 160* t-stat, duttwiler intercooler neck, big mouth 3” intake kit with 9” k&n, 3” down pipe with test tube, and a turbo tweek chip.
Would 36# injectors be big enough, or should I get 42.5’s or 50’s? Any advice would be appreciated.

help?

I guess I should tell you my goals... I don't have plans to upgrade my turbo as of yet. I want to be able to run mid to low 12.'s on street tires, (295x50x15) and maybe a max pressure of 24# at the very most. More like 20# for my every day driving. I've read that people have had stumbling problems with the 42# injectors and it seems that most people are running either the 36# or 50# injectors these days. I'm just asken because I can get the 36# and the 42# for $34.99 each where as the 50#'s jump to $55.00 each. Any thoughts? I know this subject is like beating a dead horse, but I'm still pretty new to this and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would say 50# or even 60#. The price isn't much more to step up now and have enough injector for later turbo upgrades. No worries about going with these bigger injectors. They're great in street trim with a properly tuned chip - Eric's Turbotweak chip is great!

One thing to consider is picking up 50# used. Usually there are some low mileage ones for sale in the $250 price range. If you want new, go with 60#.

Your goals are right in line with mine. I have similar combo as your planned build-up, see sig.

One recommendation might be to ditch the Flowmaster and go with ultraflows or equivalent. The Flowcrappers are know to add backpressure which ain't good for our boosted cars. Don't know from personal experience, just what I've read on this board over the years.

A great bang for the buck add on would be alky injection. SMC is great, Razor's Progressive is even better. I highly recommend it. It's awesome on the street and strip. I run 24# boost on the street with 92 octane and alky injection. Pick you injectors and alky at the same time so Eric burns the chip once.

Good luck. Look forward to meeting you at next year's Turbo gatherings!

You mention mid to low 12's on street tires. Does this mean drag radials or something like a standard BF Goodrich tire? Are you planning on running race gas or alcohol injection to turn the boost up? Do you have stock width rims on that 295/50 tire? You mention 24#'s pressure.. Did you mean boost or tire pressure? (I would think boost..)

If you want to run as fast as you say, without drag radials, or alcohol injection, just pay the extra $$$ and get the newer 60 lbs high Z injectors, and a good chip tailored to the rest of your combo. They idle really nicely with the correct chip, even with a stock turbo, and you will have enough reserve to build the car up to the mid 11 second ride you need to run the times you want on the street tires, without running out of injector and needing to upgrade later. If you decide to upgrade the turbo, etc.. down the road, you won't have to buy bigger injectors again..

If you use race gas or alcohol injection, and are willing to run a stickier DOT type tire, you can get by with 42.5 lbs injectors if you want to save a bit of $$$ or get a good deal on used ones - since they run about the same price as 36 lb'ers, for sure get the 42.5's if you are buying new.. Others have run the times you want with A LOT less injector, but tune has to be spot on, and traction becomes a big issue (60 ft times).

Guess there's no easy answer, and different ways of approaching the problem. Given how good chips have gotten recently, issues like tip-in stumble, etc.. can be eliminated with bigger injectors now, and I don't see any down side to running them on a stock turbo car wanting to run the times you are looking to do.

Hope this helps

Billy
Montgomery Village, MD

I'd recommend the magnaflows- great tone, and straight shot design. With regards to your goals, TurboSlacker hit it right on the button- go with the biggest injector you can now, cause boost is a disease that claims us all :D - and you don't want to go lean running a smaller injector at 120% duty cycle.

Eric makes a great chip, as do other on the boards. Best thing you can do is baseline our car, then learn how to tune it for the desired results. I was talking to Geno the other day, and he told me about a car with a stock unopened block, with the proper bolt-ons, dip into the 10s!!

Ain't yer grandpa's buick.......welcome, and see ya soon

without a doubt, he's forgotten more that I ever knew about these cars.....

Slacker, check your pm....

009s

Just to let you know. I got my set of 009s with 3 chips for $200 shipped. I sold two of the chips for $ 25 each so a street chip a and injectors for $150 you can't beat that. With an alky kit this will plenty for me. I don't have the Buick gn body though and its 600# lighter. There is a lot of left over go fast parts.. " boost is a disease that claims us all " and now with the new rules that is even more true :)

Listen to these guys they know what they are talking about..

Chris

With that combo and weight loss, you should be down deep into the 12s/knocking on the 11s. Tune that thing, boy!!!:D :D

Thanks!

Thanks for all the help guys. I look forward to meeting alot of you guys next year as well. I guess I'll shoot for the 50#, just in case I need to go with a bigger turbo later. I am also thinking about an alky kit, but money is a bit limited right now. Getting my car to hook is a real problem, it has a set of 15x8 all the way around and used to have 255x50x15's on it, but when my father-in-law took it to Les Schwabs, they told him it came stock with 215x60x15's. Like idiots the put them on the 8" wide wheels. :rolleyes: I've had so many problems with Schwabs over the years I wouldn't even recomed them to fix a flat... I've got a old set of camero rims that are 15x7, and they will go on for now with the 215's. After I get done with the go fast bolt on's, I'm going to work on the suspension and the wheels. Again, thanks for the help, and if you see anybody selling a set of 50# injectors, let me know.:D :rolleyes:

flowmasters

I got the flowmasters a long time ago when I first got the car and the exhaust was rotted out. I didn't know better at the time. The are the old delta flow 40 series, so there is some back pressure there but not much. From what I understand, you can't buy them anymore as delta 40 series, only 50's. I would trash them but the have less that 2k miles on them and I like the way they sound. I will probably have a dump added when I install the 3" down pipe, since my friend at a muffler shop will be doing the work for me.

Originally posted by JP87GN
Pete should sell you his 50's, He needs 60's:D

They'll be on the market shortly, Josh!! I'll have a package deal that'll include the chips-Zurn, you interested?

Pete

PS- Josh, it's all YOUR fault!!!

could be...

I could be if the price is right, i'm trying to see how much stuff I can pick up on a budget. What kind of chips? Would you be willing to do injectors seperate? Let me know. Thanks.

Pete,
Let me know how much you want for your injectors. I'm assuming they are low-z. What kind of chip do you have? I need something I can run pump gas with. I've got another lead on a set of 42.5# and two chips, but I'll take yours if the price is right. I don't have to have them right now either if you are working on getting yourself a different set. I have a lot of stuff I am going to be getting over the next week or so and I need to get my car running good in the mean time. Just to give you an idea of what I'm looking for, I've got $200 to maybe $250 to spend. Be nice please...:D I've got a son due in January and I have to justify every dime I spend with the wife...:rolleyes: