what to change while doing cam swap (timing chain/button/op?)

botldpony

I am about to do a mild cam swap the edelbrock 5487 and the 100# springs. Car is a 44k mile stock right now. going to get the usual parts for fun and since I want to do a timing chain going to o the cam while there.

my question is what other parts would someone recommend replacing while doing this. I have read all over about timing chains and still no real good answer, GM/double roller/single roller with tensioner.

1. What timing chain to replace with (car will be street car should run mid 11s)
2. Cam button? roller unit?
3. oil pump? (being low mileage and 99% stock I would think it would be fine as I don't have a gauge on car as of now)
4. gasket kit everyone like to use?

if I have missed anything please feel free to add-to this list.

Do the Earl Brown front cover mods. I like to debur the casting on the outside of the cover too. Looks good all cleaned up.;) I even clean up the water ports.

Do the Earl Brown front cover mods. I like to debur the casting on the outside of the cover too. Looks good all cleaned up.;) I even clean up the water ports.

Earl cleans up the water ports too :D

1) I like the OEM stock timing set for flat tappet cams. They last 20 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first.
2) yes, the roller. I don't even think you can get the plastic one anymore.
3) While you have it off, take it apart and inspect it. If it's not scored all the hell, do my flow mods, put it back together and you'll be good to go.
4) Felpro TCS45930 will come with everything you need right down to the upgraded neoprene front seal.

as far as missing anything I would NOT change out a proven stock cam on a 44K engine just to run the risk of losing the entire engine, turbo, radiator, and any external oil coolers. But that's me. Stock cams can go 10s.