whats needed to run e85

confusedgn

I have been following this whole e85 thing. I am wondering what you have to do to be able to run e85 in our cars. I am putting in a new motor - thought I would give this a try. Any tips and or suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance

if you are building it for E85, then bigger injectors and a properly set up chip and an adjustable regulator should get you going.

e85

I have msd 50 injectors. Are those big enuff? Or do I need larger injectors? I have adjustable fuel press reg.(accufab). If the 50's are bigg enuff all I will need is the chip - right?

Thanks

injector size is determined by hp produced! howe much hp you shooting for?
conrad

I have msd 50 injectors. Are those big enuff? Or do I need larger injectors? I have adjustable fuel press reg.(accufab). If the 50's are bigg enuff all I will need is the chip - right?

Thanks

50s will get you in the high 11s with E-85. :smile:

I'm hoping sooner or later someone will actually answer your original question.

Well Dave your right I answered his second question not the first. However you know the answer as well and didn't help out, what gives :wink:

confusedgn - Nothing special is needed to run E-85 in our cars. What I mean by "Special" is, fuel tanks, fuel lines, pumps, filters, etc.. Plenty of myths floating around the net.

1. My white T has 83s injectors, a TT E-85 chip to match and a modded EMC to run those big injectors everything else is stock.

2. A few people I know went with 60's and a matching E-85 chip thats it.

3. A few run 50s and a matching E-85 chip. However 50s won't get you far if your goals are anything faster than a high 11 so if you upgrade gets some big injectors and be done with it.

Let me know your goals and I'll get you a better answer here or PM :biggrin:

Look at the Stickeys. If you want to run a little E85, then stock will probably work ok. Just don't max out your fuel system! If you want to run 100% E85 and make some BIG HP/TORQUE, then the computer has to be tuned accordingly and the fuel system has to be up to the task. Trouble is, there is no one answer. As most engineers will tell you, "It Depends". There are many fuel components that are E85 compatible so that is not a big deal. Just remember that a gallon of E85 contains ~30% less energy than a gallon of gasoline. Therefore, you must pump (consume) 30% more E85 just to push the car down the road. Do your homework. It ain't that hard.
Conrad
Hot Air

However you know the answer as well and didn't help out, what gives :wink:

Why would I know the answer to this?? I don't run E-85, so finding good info always helps with possible future changes.

I think it's common knowlede that larger injectors are a must, a lot of people probably want to know what other parts of the fuel system need to be changed out to run E-85.

I thought it was a legitamate question. Anytime I need smart ass replies like that I need only spend time on the "other" board. :mad:

ok - calm down guys.

So this is my combo that I am pretty sure I am going with -
109 - 2 center caps, stock crank and rods, je pistons, arp studs
8445's - ported, polished, bowls blended, egr blocked off, ferrea 1.77/1.50
cam - 224/224 billet hyd. roller, kept in time with a gear drive
turbo - precision te63 w/ .63 housing
injectors - 50 msd's, regulated by a accufab fpr, and a 255 pump in tank

So what can I expect from this combo? running e-85 of course.
keep in mind this will be a street car, prolly wont be raced.

oh - what stall torque convertor should I concider for this combo?
the rear is a 8.5 that will have a auburn posi and 30 spline axles w/3.42's

any comment or predictions welcome

Thanks

........... oh - what stall torque convertor should I concider for this combo? .......

That is easiest part of the combo/build. ;)
Contact Dusty and get a PTC spec'd after you decide on the turbo.
I would personally go with a smaller cam. :cool: and am sure the experts will chime in.
Good luck!

ok - calm down guys.

Thanks

I have 3 converters that will work well with that combo. The 10" l/u if you want to stick with a stock type converter. I can do a regular 2800 that will spool a little slower but have good top end pull or I can do a 3000-3200 that will spool easier but not be as efficient in 3rd gear.

The other option is to go non lock with the 9.5. It's the best of both worlds and will spool very well and also be very efficient for that top end charge.

Well This is the list of things I changed to run 100% E85. If things work out this summer next year I will be adding a Champion fuel rail and a nice sumped tank. For now I had a -10 fitting welded to the bottom of the tank and I'm using the stock fuel rail w/ Turbofabricators -6 fitting to replace the stock style FPR. I have a -10 line w/ 100 mic.stainless mesh pre filter to the Weldon 2015 pump. out of the pump I have a 40mic. stainless mesh filter into a -8 feed line to the rail. Turbofabricators -6 fitting into an external FPR, then a -6 back to the tank. I bought a NA fuel sender and hooked the return line to the feed line of the sender to get to the bottom of the tank. Went with 120lb injectors. Running Autolite 23's gapped at a tight .30. With the stock fuel rail and -6 return I can get the FP as low as 20psi. I have alot to learn about tuning this stuff, Other than that I'm at 29lbs boost and no knock. The most I have seen at a shift is 2* of knock.
HTH

ok - calm down guys.

Thanks

Nice build up, however why are you playing with small injectors?? Your doing alot of $$$ engine work on an setup that is good for high 11s at best with 50s fueling it. Go head and get you some 79s so you can keep the stock ECM, I believe Eric @ TT has already done E-85 chips for those injectors.

Why would I know the answer to this?? I don't run E-85, so finding good info always helps with possible future changes.

I think it's common knowledge that larger injectors are a must, a lot of people probably want to know what other parts of the fuel system need to be changed out to run E-85.

You'll be ok with stock stuff until you go over 83s, then its time to upgrade lines, etc for more volume. Most upgraded fuel pumps will get you there just fine. The tuning rules are basically the same as with gas. The question was always will it eat the fuel system... the answer is NO it won't. :cool:

I thought it was a legitamate question. Anytime I need smart ass replies like that I need only spend time on the "other" board. :mad:

Hey Dave chill mang. Let me land the plane for you..... I used the " :wink: ", in my "smartass" statement. BTW stay away from the other board :biggrin:

Merry Christmas

Hey Dave chill mang. Let me land the plane for you..... I used the " :wink: ", in my "smartass" statement. BTW stay away from the other board :biggrin:

Merry Christmas

Sorry, missed the winky.

reason for the 50's - easy - Its gonna be a street car. Dont wanna attract to much attn. from the boys in blue. 11's will be fine for runnin around on the street. At least thats what I say for now anyway. Some friends are saying that I'l be racin it before long.

reason for the 50's - easy - Its gonna be a street car. Dont wanna attract to much attn. from the boys in blue. 11's will be fine for runnin around on the street. At least thats what I say for now anyway. Some friends are saying that I'l be racin it before long.

I run 120 lb'ers and my car is a street car. The 120's run and Idle just as smooth as 60's. It's all in the chip and tuning.