what's the difference between '86 and '87 GN's????

dagwood

I thought there was a 10 hp increase for the 1987 model year. If correct, can someone tell me how they got the extra hp? Thanks!

Originally posted by azgn
magic....try the search feature :)

:rolleyes: Thanks........tried it and came up with 10,000 things that didn't tell me and I didn't want to sit and read them all night. That's why I posted here.

one major difference in the 86 to 87 GN is the owners if you own an 86 your only slightly cooler then an owner of a hot air car.

aint that right woody!

:D

Yep, the hot-air guys get little to no respect for the most part. This leads alot of them to have a fanatics view of no intercoolers and such. I thinK I might do my next psych paper on this board.

Re: It was

Originally posted by RUQWKNF27
the chip, they increased the boost an timing a little bit....
Bzzt, thanks for playing but you are wrong. The 86 and 87 chips are the same. The only diffferences between the 86 and 87 is the grille and the upgraded fuel pump wiring (which was a configuration change and does not replace the need for hotwiring the fuel pump)

The 10HP increase was on the Corvette. Buick was not allowed to advertise that they made more HP than GM's flagship car. So when the Vette's HP went up 10, so did the Buick's. Anyone that ever owned a brand new TR can tell you it made more than 250HP. Don't you just love marketing people! :rolleyes:

What Scott said.....plus a few other minor trim items and they are much rarer (only made 5000 of 'em in '86), thus worth a lot more money:D

Originally posted by azgn
What Scott said.....plus a few other minor trim items and they are much rarer (only made 5000 of 'em in '86), thus worth a lot more money:D

but owners of 86s are dorks, and just ot cool!

I've got an 86 T-type & an 87 WE4 - and in my case, the "blank" for the door keys are different (i.e. the 86 key won't fit in the 87 door & vice versa) and the power steering cap tightens differently (can't remember which is cw & ccw off the top of my head)

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

-Greg

Originally posted by dagwood
I thought there was a 10 hp increase for the 1987 model year. If correct, can someone tell me how they got the extra hp? Thanks!

It used a Tornado in the intake...:D

It was really just some PR BS to get the intercooled DORKS to trade in their 86's for a NEWER, FASTER 87.

Poor SOB's actually thought they were faster.....:D

differences...

Here are a few of the differences between an '86 and '87 GN : The door pull straps, the front grille, electronic climate control, power steering reservoir cap, and this last but little known detail, the driver's power seat track is also different... ;)
That's about it...well...I think...:D
Claude :)

If I remember correctly, the chips were a tad different to comply with emissions laws, also, black door pull handles on 86's gray on 87's, wiring harness behind dash was a tad different on 86's than on 87's, decale on coil pack differences, and I believe the dot on the wastgate solinoid is a different color. power steering reservoir is different as is its cap. The grill as someone already mentioned, power seat motors are different, power seat switches are different, seatbelt DOT tags are different, Cruise Control Diaphrams different, 86 has metal retaining clips on the main dash harness where it plugs into the ECM, plastic on the 87's, aluminum bumper supports on 86 gn's. Lastly the 86 was used as a prototype GNX, In fact most of the press photos, including those in the hardbound GNX book are actually an 86 GN converted to a GNX.

'86 GN are lighter on average than '87 GN's and are therefore Faster.

On the chip thing...there were 2 or 3 initial designs for the 86 chip. However, most 86 TRs will have the AXCA chip as will all 87's. Subsequent to the completion of the '87 model year, there was a factory "recall" on the chip to replace it with more environmentally friendly chip.