What's the fastest daily driven GN or TR run?

Robert Weskamp

Let me rephrase that. Not necessarily daily driven, but who's running fast and putting at least a few thousand miles a year on their ride? It seems like plenty of guys put miles on cars deep in the 10's, but who's the fastest. I'm trying to set goals for my 86' GN build and I'd basically like to shoot for going as fast as I can while maintaining some level of reliability (the impossible dream I know), but humor me. I own a machine shop and have a lift, so I'm not opposed to a rather rigorous maitainance schedule, but I nt to be realistic with my expectations.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

i would go by "The fastest pump gas / alky 109 block cars" list
Most of them cars are or can easily be daily driven. BUT look at the list closely as there are a few race cars in that mix.

I put several thousand mile on my car every year, drive it to car shows and even took it the beach once or twice, ive been the best of a 9.85 @ 137. DO a search on the board and you will see what it takes to run those kind of numbers and maintain driveability. There are lots of cars on the board the have the right parts to go fast. Choosing the right cam, turbo, and converter combo plus a good tune and you will have one heck of a street car thats very unassuming yet very impressive

I was driving mine almost everyday, until the ignition went out a couple months ago. Waiting on a TR6 replacement. It's fun being able to trap 127-130 with no problem and run pump gas. Build a 9 sec car and go 10's relatively easy on conservative boost/timing.

Our junk is drivin a lot (prob 5/8k ) in the summer. Winters I just can't be bothered with all the snow. we leave our tune up the same. Hell the Mazda is still running on Melissa's old 2007 times :cool:

I hope a lot of these "drivers" still have working A/C..! ;)

ks

Why hell yes......I hate to sweat......I also have a killer stereo too..

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

You can get your combo fairly reliable with traditional 93/alky and trapping around 140mph. That's enough to run 9.7 and about 115hp per hole. To be able to make it reliable and run faster than that I'd rethink the alky injection approach and I'd probably use a stage block unless I already had a bunch of stuff for a stock block

Mine is mid 10s pretty easy Still original shortblock Still has all power accessories too Times on 93 and alky ;-)

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

how much slower would a reliable/daily driver hot air be?
i'm talking something that a guy could check the tire air pressure, check the oil, fill the tank, and drive across the country without worrying about reliability being an issue?

Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking about going E85 as its pretty easy to get in the Chicago area. As I understand it the only real drawback is availability of fuel or are there other concerns? I've never built a ride that runs E85, so I'm pretty much a complete novice when it comes to that. As I understand it E85 will run than cooler than 93 octane allowing more boost without Alky, and the conversion is basically fuel pump, sender, new fuel lines and injectors. As I'm working from stock and would have to upgrade the pump, sending unit, and injectors anyway, it seems like a no brainer to just go with E85. Are there other drawbacks that 'm not considering?

Also, SloGN I was wondering how the front mount intercooler is on the streets? Ive heard that these cars are prone to overheating in traffic with a FMIC. Have you had any problems with daily drivability due to overheating? Will a stock location stretched intercooler support a low 10 second car?

Once again thanks for all the imput. The Buick community is great! Should have gotten one years ago. I'm just trying to figure out the best approach before I turn into the fool that just keeps throwing money at it until I get what I'm looking for. I'm planning to start sourcing parts after the holiday with hopes of getting the car finished by summer 2014.

Other issues with E85 are inconsistent blends at the pump, lower MPG, and harder cold starts.

Inconsistent blends are not a big issue. A friend has a high 7 second LSx turbo car and it runs 7.90's on E85 and 7.90's on E70 with no tune changes. It's slightly richer on E70 but still in the sweet spot.

8.9's with plenty to go. It is driven to work on nice days and to the local cruise-ins weekly. 2-3000milesa season. All on E85. Before that, 110 for the street, Q16 for the track. E85 is a game changer.

Inconsistent blends are not a big issue. A friend has a high 7 second LSx turbo car and it runs 7.90's on E85 and 7.90's on E70 with no tune changes. It's slightly richer on E70 but still in the sweet spot.

Well saying it's not a big issue is admitting it still is an issue. I agree most will not be effected, but it's enough to scare some people into buying barrels instead of hitting up the pump.

My old pile runs low 10's at 132-133 and I drive it as much as possible in the summer time. No cage, A/C works but I don't use it much. 88 mile round trip commute to work each day. E85 burner... 109 with aluminum heads.

It's reliable, doesn't need much other than making sure the plugs look good. 2 years ago it smoked the trans, but that's been fine ever since the trans had some upgrades done to it to better match the power output of the motor.

Last summer I was driving it home from work when some (cute) girl decided to back up into my front bumper. My car ended up in the body shop for weeks on end... That's the bad part about driving it a lot. Shit happens!

It all depends on the budget. If you can afford to build a 900hp stage 2, and want to drive it everyday...I guess it would be you.
What does it matter. On the street that low 10sec TR will be fighting for traction while that SRT8 is out front.