Where to mount BOV (blow off valve), post pics of your setup ---

put it close to the TB as you can on your TP as i have it on my TB:biggrin:...
bov.jpg

Sorry I don't have any pictures to share but Fast4Ward has done a nice job. Much higher on the up-pipe will hit the hood of a TTA.

As Razor said earlier using a blowoff valve on a MAF car like ours can be bad. If your blow off valve releases the air under your hood you are releasing metered air. That means your car will now run rich. If you have the BOV venting back into the engine side of the MAF sensor no harm is done, the MAF already metered that air.

Nice venting and location Fast4Ward!

i was told by pte to run two bov's on a certain garret turbo to prevent the compressor wheel from unscrewing off the shaft!

........The turbo will never spin backwards as stated above. I got 150K out of my stock turbo....hard 150K and it never had an issue.

I have heard this statement many times over the years, but the stock turbo is sized to fit the the performance envelope of the complete stock set up, and does not have a reversion problem. This is verified when even simple mods like turbo and air intake upgrades are added, you can actually hear the difference. :)

For having known and worked with a local shop that does "ricer" mods and custom turbo and supercharger installs on many cars with over 1000 HP results [on his shop dyno], he installs a BOV, or 2, on every system.

The compressor wheel may not spin backwards when the throttle is closed at high RPM, but the shock of a large, fast moving column of air stopping quickly WILL hammer it. :mad:

From personal experience for the first 20 years doing these cars, never did see a problem with turbos being damaged from no BOV.

Past couple years have been different, at least 4 large turbos have had compressor wheels destroyed for no apparent reason?

One 70BB turbo had it's "new" billet taken out twice after just 2 passes each at the track. The other 70's did not have billet wheels, but both wheels were damaged after some 9 and 10 sec. runs. The BB turbos operate at a much higher RPM so are more affected by a column of air trying to stop it.

At this point, I have decided I will NOT install a $2000+ turbo without a $200 BOV to protect it. ;)

So, its being metered BACK into the engine? How and where are you plumbing this? Here?:
Thanks ---
um...ah...skill testing question here....what do you think that big chrome pipe is..exhaust ..LOL
yes the blow off is going back into the air intake: exit port of BOV to in port on intake pipe which comes off the turbo air intake, long chrome pipe also has a MAF which as an air filter at the end....hope that helps:)