Which Head Gasket?

Tom Walker

Tommy2Tone
I will be installing a freshly redone set of Champion Irons on my original engine soon. What head gasket do you recommend for and unfreshened block, running 22-26# of boost? Thanks...

i would go with RJC, felpro or gm if i was you.i have seen cometic leak on heads not smoothed out.i did have good luck with the RJC gaskets on my tta with not having any work done to the heads or block.i lifted the heads couple of times with the RJC,all i had to do was re torque the arp head bolts and i was back and running. here is a link http://rjcracing.com/product/head-gasket/

i am doing the same thing u are doing, head studs or head bolts? im leaning twards the fel pro's & arp bolts.. i run btween 22 & 25 psi so im hoping im making the right choice here!

i am doing the same thing u are doing, head studs or head bolts? im leaning twards the fel pro's & arp bolts.. i run btween 22 & 25 psi so im hoping im making the right choice here!

the rjc gaskets are 84/85 gm steel gaskets that has a sealant to stack them.they work great with the arp studs.never had to replace,just re torque.

..and if using studs make sure you use an extra washer on the shorter studs that are located under the valve covers..

ks

i would give em a few hours & deffinately re-torque.. Im a few days away from re-installing my heads & thats my plan

Ok thanks , here's another routine question it seems like but there so many opinions on it what do you guys put in the stud threads ?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks for the help guys , what about the length on the studs I've read in the past that the outer studs one at rear and one in front do not have enough threads on them and to double washer them, but just sitting the head on there looks like there is enough threads ? Hmm just wondering :confused:

I thought that cometics on these cars are garbage. Mls with only 8 bolts, they are a pain in the butt to get right, leaking, need copper spay, sealant, glue, lose some compression and squish area, need to be re torqued constantly??

Joe

i chose the fel pro 9441pt gaskets w/ pro series bolts instead of studs cuz ive heard alot of issues with the cometics too!

Thanks for the help guys , what about the length on the studs I've read in the past that the outer studs one at rear and one in front do not have enough threads on them and to double washer them, but just sitting the head on there looks like there is enough threads ? Hmm just wondering :confused:

You can tell if you're OK by looking. It sounds like you are.

Thats not bad, my truck has 3 different length bolts "17 per head" with 3 different torque specs in a sequence of 3 followed by 3 different bolt angles.
You know your doing it right when you got sweat running in your eyes.

Joe