which truck to tow with.

HUMBLE-U2

looking to buy a used truck. to tow my gn to the track with.which ones do you guys perfer F250, ram 2500 GM 1500!

With a light flat bed trailer and easy driving a 1500 would be fine. An enclosed trailer would be suited to pull with a 2500 3500. Or if you are heavy footed then a 2500/3500 diesel would be best. I use a 1500 GMC or a 2500 cummins ram. The diesel definatly pulls better but I like the GMC for short trips.

Cummins are great engines for pulling but what they are wrapped is not, We have a 05' 2500HD Duramax don't even know the GN is back there, and your in a GM vehicle.

Apples &..

looking to buy a used truck. to tow my gn to the track with.which ones do you guys perfer F250, ram 2500 GM 1500!

oranges in this comparison...2 3/4 ton trucks vs the 1/2 ton??
The 1/2 ton is marginal, at best. BTDT, and have never felt comfortable w/ the 1/2 ton. Smaller brakes, softer suspension, less tire, closer to max GVW....
With vehicle prices where they are now, I'd be looking for a 2500/3500 GM HD Duramax...
Open trlr, a single wheel is GTG.
Enclosed over 28', a dual wheel is great.

I am more comfortable towing with a 2500 than a 1500. Both can do the job. I think alot depends on how far you need to go. I get 20 mpg towing the gn with a duramax.It did get scary when diesel fuel almost reached 5 dollars a gallon last year.

I'd go with a Ford with a 7.3 powerstroke. Tough strong workhouse of a motor. We have them in a fleet and they have close to 300k on them and some have never been touched other then L.O.F. The Cummins 5.9l have a lot of injection pump problems.

I towed mine 50 miles(each way) with my Trailblazer SS (black of course) and it was a great tow vehicle. But i do agree a big diesel would be optimal, but if you want something more daily driver friendly when you arent towing anything you cant beat it.

If you're looking to do gasoline, then get a Chevy. If you're buying a diesel, then get a Dodge unless you're considering an older 7.3L Powerstroke.

Yep!!

Get a Duramax and be done with it.;)

And, BE SURE to look at only those models built AFTER late 04.. The original Dura had hidden injs that were subject to leaks. So much so, that GM issued a warranty extension, to 5 yrs/200,000 mi.
If you are paying to have "thier problem" repaired, after warranty=>$5K:eek:
Also, the early Allisons had SERIOUS leak problems. Mine leaked, and it took them 5 weeks to change it out.:mad:
Some yrs of the Mopes have trans problems, the Firds have weak engines...
I'd do a Google, and get on some of the truck boards, and ask around B4 I spent my $$, and got a turd....

My tow vehicle. I'm renting an enclosed trailer for the nationals. Has 8000 capacity, and car and trailer are under that.

Attachments

• Escaladetowing.jpg
    Escaladetowing.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 626
I have a 2wd 5.3 LT 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 ex cab. The truck pulls great fully loaded down. I drove from here out to BG at 75mph no prob w/ open trailer of course. Its stock with a replacement K&N and Flowmaster cat back system. I love it but I want a Diesel Turbo bad. They are so cheap now.

LastYearsNats1.jpg

When I took my car out to JD it pulled like nothing was back there. Bit concerned about the enclosed trailer as the total weight will be only 1000 under my limit. Has 6.2 liter 400 hp motor with k&n filter.

Not to worry

When I took my car out to JD it pulled like nothing was back there. Bit concerned about the enclosed trailer as the total weight will be only 1000 under my limit. Has 6.2 liter 400 hp motor with k&n filter.

I've pulled a fully loaded enclosed 24 ft trailer all over with a 1/2 ton 4 WD 5.7L 98 Chevy truck.

I love my 06 Cummins 2500 Dodge. Picked the 6 speed because I knew I would blow up the auto. Pulls my Bronco to the play spots with no drama.