Which Windows should I use?

TurboTer

Zap! Commander
I've had Windows 98 for quite some time now, but it looks like the time has come to upgrade. Which is the latest version? Is it Windows ME or Windows XP? Wasn't there a Windows 2000 as well? Which of these should I downlo..., err, I mean buy? :)I remember back in '93 when I got my first DOS based computer and I had Windows 3.1. Probably the most bug-free version Windows of all-time. I heard the newer Windows don't even have a drop-to-DOS feature. I'm a hardcore DOS-Man, so how do I get around that?

get XP Professional. stay away from XP Home and i wouldnt touch ME with a 10ft stick.

stevemon:
office 97 works with win2k. have a few computers at work with 97 on 2000.

Got ME on the laptop, it kinda bites. I inherited an XP Home upgrade from my father in law, who didn't use it. I like it, but seems to use up a lot of memory for my old computer. I really like it overall , a lot more things are plug and play and a lot easier to use. If you go this route, copy to disc anything you need to keep and format the drive. You'll risk losing everything in the process and end up doing that anyway. Do that from the start and it'll go smoothly with no frustration.

Depends on your system.

Windows 2000 rocks and isn't nearly the system PIG as XP. In my opinion you'd be more familiar with a 2000 environment vs. an XP environment. Both are equally stable.

I was forced to upgrade my old home system from 2000 to XP and it was a system boat anchor. I found NO advantages from XP over 2000 unless you consider slowing down big time an advantage.

Win2K is my 1st choice. The only issues you may have is driver compatibility whereas XP may be more driver friendly.

Originally posted by striker_29
XP Pro with service pack 1.

I have had very nice experiences with XP Home with the Service Pack. Once I got rid of that mickey mouse look and got back to the stock look - great great stability.

Keep 98 unless you are sure there are drivers out there that will work with your older hardware.

I bet there ain't. ;)

If you are upgrading hardware of course go with XP Pro.

Just my .02 and my old Dell runs fine with 98. Gotta make sure the system will run with what you have for equipment.