white dots in clear coat

jim0207

INVNO1
I waited 2 days for the clear urethane to dry. 600 to 2000 wet sand paper and buff. Looked great until. The sun came around and into the work shop and that's when I saw it. Lots of micro white dots. What on earth is it?

Solvent pop probably!! Cause to much film build or moisture in it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

To get them out you will probably have to sand down and repaint. I do not put anymore than two coats at a time.

To get them out you will probably have to sand down and repaint. I do not put anymore than two coats at a time.

I did sand down and paint yesterday. Today, in search for a better filtration system. Thanks Tbone.

Kinda hard to explain. But u just want to lay 2 coats of clear not to heavy but not dry either. After u lay the first let it kick till your clear will string by touching your tape then lay the second. Also make sure your air is dry. By at least using a water separator of some kind. I will pm ya my # and see if I can help ya in some way.

There was either not enough time for the clear to dry between coats or u need to thin the clear out a little more and allow more time to dry like 15 min before the next coat.I paint for a living any ? U can call me at 774 930 4156 joe

Not enough air movement, too soon between coats, too many mils per coat wrong reducer all can cause micro pop. Sometimes you can color sand it out other times the buffing compound gets stuck in and makes it look worse then repainting is needed to cure .

If you have moisture in your air you need to get better filtration. Here is my solution

Attachments

• 1409543255083.jpg
    1409543255083.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 1409543268218.jpg
    1409543268218.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 101
Can this reaction happen about two months after it was painted?
No, usually happens as it is drying for micro pop. If it has water in the air it may pop down the line but those have the paint pop up, solvent pop is little craters that go down in the paint.

I stripped the fender back down and started again, #7. Practice, practice, practice. Anyway, I used a glide coat on the primer this time. Got to the cut and buff stage. White dots there again.

It's possible there where pinholes in filler and the primer surfaces filled them but then shrunk back over time and now the pinholes show up again. This could be from filler needed a skim coat to cover them or the primer was cheap or had not enough time between coats and died back.

No, usually happens as it is drying for micro pop. If it has water in the air it may pop down the line but those have the paint pop up, solvent pop is little craters that go down in the paint.

Ok thanks. Mine must have gotten some over spray.

Sometimes if gun is not clean it spits out old paint specks or tack rag leaves crap. Even a dirty stir stick can drop old paint into your clear while mixing .

I had it painted about 3 months ago. When I first picked th car up it was perfect. I washed it this weekend and I saw those darn white spots. I saw this thread then it got me wondering. But I think it must be over spray...

I am going to try glide coat on the primer coats. I noticed micro dots in the primer with the glide coat. Do you all think the white dots are the primer and that what I have been seeing in my clear coat?