Who has a 24' or a 28' enclosed trailer?....need some info please

Amelio

I did not know where to post this so I put it here due to the amount of traffic this section gets.

I am in the market for an enclosed trailer and I am trying to decide what size to get. I will either tow my Vette and Bike or the Buick and my Bike just depends on what event I am going to....since the Buick is a little bigger I am basing the size of the trailer I get from this.

I want to have cabinets a tool box and a wash sink up front, room for chairs a generator, cooler and whatever else. I think our cars are roughly 18' bumper to bumper and when loaded the cars bumper is not going to be at the rear door. I want to make sure I have enough room for what I listed with the car loaded in the correct area.

I am leaning towards a 28' but I wanted to hear from you guys that have one.

What size trailer do you have......any pro's or con's on the size.

Also please list what make of trailer you have and the pro's and con's of that.

I have been back and forth over buying new or used....these things are not cheap!

Thanks!

28' Featherlite. Room for all you've mentioned. We also had a generator box in it.
Another + for the 28', resale value.

Go with the 28' hands down. I've never had a situation where I thought I have too much room in a trailer.

Peter

Yeah I don't wanna pop the money for a 24' and be kicking myself for not getting an additional 4' ....It seems that the used trailers are just about as much as a new one. I can get a brand new 28' V-nose with D-rings 5200 pound axles with brakes and diamond plate stone guard all around for $5,200. I am having a real hard time finding a used one for $1k less or more than that.

I also really want a V- nose for some towing assistance in the aerodynamic department but there are really not many used ones out there that are much less than a new one.

At this point I am leaning towards a brand new one, then I can build it out how I want........

Wait a minute!! A brand new 28' for all that stuff you mentioned above for $5200 :eek: ????? What brand and where????? You can't even buy a good used 24' for that kind of money!
Please tell !!!

BTW, with all you want to carry and load, you have to have a 28'.

28' for sure but when u start adding cabinets and sink and generator all that starts to eat up room. But for $5200 BUY IT, that's a steal!!!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Yeah I don't wanna pop the money for a 24' and be kicking myself for not getting an additional 4' ....It seems that the used trailers are just about as much as a new one. I can get a brand new 28' V-nose with D-rings 5200 pound axles with brakes and diamond plate stone guard all around for $5,200. I am having a real hard time finding a used one for $1k less or more than that.

I also really want a V- nose for some towing assistance in the aerodynamic department but there are really not many used ones out there that are much less than a new one.

At this point I am leaning towards a brand new one, then I can build it out how I want........

Around here open and enclosed trailers hold their values well too. A 28' for $5200 is a great deal.

Wait a minute!! A brand new 28' for all that stuff you mentioned above for $5200 :eek: ????? What brand and where????? You can't even buy a good used 24' for that kind of money!
Please tell !!!

BTW, with all you want to carry and load, you have to have a 28'.

I believe I saw the ad it was BigTex trailers.............it is barebones inside no shelving or cabinets........its just a 28' V-nose with D-rings and 5200 pound axels. I plan to go look at them this weekend and see exactly what kind of deal they have or if its a bait and switch type thing. I figure I can build the trailer out the way I want over the course of a year or so.....to buy one fully built out inside ....yeah your talking some coin...$12-18k depending on how its done.

While U R "checking it out", here are some important items I look at:
1. True 1 pc roof. Painted or? Vents?
2. All stainless riveting.
3. Metal gauge on the walls, roof.
4. Wall stud spacing. [Makes a diff when hanging cabinets.]
5. Floor joist spacing, dimensions, material thickness.
6. Thickness of flooring. 100% undercoated?
7. Length of tongue. [Too short makes it a bitch to manuver!]:eek:
8. Is it SQUARE??? [Mine was a POS, that was 2.5" out of square. Made putting cabinets in nearly impossible!]
9. Empty tongue wt is?
10. Gross wt is?
11. Wiring enclosed, or strung thru holes in the frame?
12. Size and brand of hitch. [Some cheapo crap out there!]
13. Wired for? Lites, AC, external gen power, winch, outside floods.
14. ALL LED liting.
15. Tie downs fastened to the frame, or just screwed to the plywood?
16. Rear door frame bracing, door construction?
17. Beavertail construction? [I personally don't like that, especially for lowered cars.]
18. Side door size?
19. Break away box?
One option I think you need at the "git go": Electric tongue jack!

Whew!
LOTS to consider. Thot I'd pass these on, as I've bought/sold several trailers in 50+ yrs of "cars".
Sure others can add to this list, too.
Good luck w/ the purchase!:D

The only time I think my 28 is too big, well I've never thought that. You can run with extra space, have when you can't fit your gear in.
One thing I looked at was space between the wheel wells. I bought it as wide as I could find. I got mine in bowling green at trailer world. Been a great thing to have. Just make sure you have enough truck to pull it. A small block, or a half ton ain't gonna do it. You need 2500/250 with a big block but diesel is better, and a one ton never hurts. Look back to the you can't have too much capacity.
Pix when you get it.

Thanks Chuck.....that is a ton to consider....its so much stuff that it makes my head hurt!:eek: I look every other day for deals and the used trailer market is tough these things are so expensive even a few years old. I have found a few used trailers that are early 2000 models one is a 24' and the other is a 26'. I would rather have a 28' but If I could get a 26' for $2-3k less I may go that route.

Thanks TexasT

I think a 28' is my best bet but at the end of the day $$$$ dictates everything. All of the trailers I am looking at are 8.5' wide which I think is pretty standard and should be plenty wide for my junk. As far as a tow rig I am in good shape I have a 2012 Super Duty:cool:

Im gonna keep looking I will let you guys know what I end up getting,,,,,,,,,,,,if anyone hears of a nice unit for sale please shoot me a message

Thanks!:)

I went through the same thing when I was looking for a trailer I looked at those cheap brand for $5000 new just remember you get what you pay for go with a reputable brand, and a fully finished trailer will be cheaper in the long run, remember time material labor agrevation of you could find a good used one go that route. $8000 for a used fully done mid 2000 trailer reputable brand will sell quicker than a no brand 2012 unfinished trailer
I ended buying a 29 ft hallmark fully finished cabinet,diamond plate floor generator door dexter axle

Another thing the V nose is about 2 ft bonus , so a 24ft equals about 26ft inside with cabinets plus a longer tounge makes it nice also. I see the cheaper price ones have smaller axles which you do not want , but any thing you add will be more money but its best to order what you want when ordering it so its easier to build than to add later .

Only other thing I can think of is where you will store it. My neighbors are kinda against it but it is less than 30' and we are friends with the city inspector so we get by with it.

Yes, get he 5200# axles. It has a 6 lug rim but you want the capacity.
Also get two spares and a jack big enough to pick it up loaded.

Thanks fort info guys!

I found a 28' Pace Shadow trailer I believe it is early 2000 model.....its fully finished inside with lights cabinets floor walls and ceiling. It has new tires and new brakes with 5200# axels.....the guys is asking $3,500 I have to drive to the Daytona area to get it if it works out but from Atlanta that's not a bad drive. I am speakingwith e owner today I need more info on I and some more pics....but from what I've seen its a nice solid looking unit.

Anyone have direct experience with Pace trailers?
From What I a read they do seem to be a pretty good unit, I don't mind buying something older if it saves me $3-4k

Look it over close. Frame, rust issues, bent members and such.
Axles, as stated above you need at least the 6 lug 5200# units. Look at the tires. They are expensive

28' mininum. Do not get 5200lb axles because your tire choices are junk, get 8 lug axles which gives you a 16" rim. A V-nose does not help with aerodynamic, it's actually worse. No comment on the $5200 trailer.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

28' mininum. Do not get 5200lb axles because your tire choices are junk, get 8 lug axles which gives you a 16" rim. A V-nose does not help with aerodynamic, it's actually worse. No comment on the $5200 trailer.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I don't think I have seen a 28' trailer with 8 lug axels...those would be 8k or 10k axels?

So have you towed a V-nose and a standard? I would not have guessed it would be worse on aerodynamics....interesting.

I think thik trailer I found is a bust........I offered the guy $3k and he said yes....then I asked him to send me a pic of the i.d plate or vin # and I have not heard back from him LOL:cautious:

Billy, what do you mean by worse aerodynamically for the V nose? It adds to the side profile area so cross-winds will push a little harder, but it should help the fuel mileage, right? What do you think of the "bubble" noses? I don't know what to call them - basically a rounded bulge molded into a plastic plate that bolts to the front of the trailer. Don't think they add any interior room, so they must be for better aerodynamics.