Why GNX??

GregInAtl said:
What Barrett Jackson, and other markets are doing is adding a small false value due to thier 8%+/- taxing they are taking off the top. Aside from that, you are seeing real value, if it werent, it wouldnt be so high price, because it takes 2 to make a bid high.

I agree. Also BJ is not what is setting the high prices for GNX, its been a steady stream of private sales & ebay auction, not a one time aberation of Barrett Jackson. The price has climb quite a bit this years, but its demand (buyer) that have kept the prices high. Also Ebay if anything has been know for abnormally low priced auction becuase of it short auction times & it takes two bidders. I think it says a lot that ebay prices have been also pretty consistent as well.

I think they fetch soo much, simply cuz of what they are. Not only are their roots, in a car that is soo mysterious, but theyre even rarer and faster yet. Not a whole heck of a lot of cars out there, have such a history as this car. I think its quite simple. Its a GNX man. Theyre famous, and have a cool little history. And as far as gn's not bein rare? REALLY now... I live in detroit, and we have quite a good selection of various cars from the general strollin around here. And I know just about every tr owner in the area, cuz theres not that many around. From an educated guess, I'd say theres about 12 thousand grand nationals (84-87) still rolling on the planet. Period. thats pretty rare in my book...

GA, AL and some areas in SC seem to be filled w/ TRs, and seem to have GNXs hiding. Strangely, everone knows who has them in that area. Each area has thier ace mechanic, who I suppose is the real guy in the know so to speak as far as who has what. When we had our TR collection (9 at one point) , everyone knew of it, you could hear the last name and city come up, and they'd give thier interpretation of what was in our storage. Alot was fiction, some people somehow knew. The TR community luckily is very cool, even though we had one stolen (the least valued one luckily...a 87 limited T white w/ chrome) we had alot for a long time w/ no probs til sale time. The cool thing is every one we sold this year went to a collector, who was not gonna drive them, GNs or GNX. This shows what the car is really turning into, a real investment for many people.

Why

GregInAtl said:
GA, AL and some areas in SC seem to be filled w/ TRs, and seem to have GNXs hiding. Strangely, everone knows who has them in that area. Each area has thier ace mechanic, who I suppose is the real guy in the know so to speak as far as who has what. When we had our TR collection (9 at one point) , everyone knew of it, you could hear the last name and city come up, and they'd give thier interpretation of what was in our storage. Alot was fiction, some people somehow knew. The TR community luckily is very cool, even though we had one stolen (the least valued one luckily...a 87 limited T white w/ chrome) we had alot for a long time w/ no probs til sale time. The cool thing is every one we sold this year went to a collector, who was not gonna drive them, GNs or GNX. This shows what the car is really turning into, a real investment for many people.
Just curious why you sold off your Turbo Regal collection? Top money or different interests?

GNX 233 said:
Just curious why you sold off your Turbo Regal collection? Top money or different interests?
It is/was my boss' collection, I manage the vehicles for him. I am like a son to him and the family, but he's unofficially retired, and was trying to settle things of material nature while living, since there is 20 grand kids and only 10-12 collectable cars left. Easier to liquidate than hurt someone you love.
For me the benefit as the "keeper of the cars" is I do alot of the driving of the cars, maintence, listing/selling/negotiating for him. He's a local legend, and general great guy who is a hardcore car guy also, he gave me a really fun side job a while back, so when not sellin comm. real estate for him, I still get a lil seat time in a few he has left.

GregInAtl said:
For me the benefit as the "keeper of the cars" is I do alot of the driving of the cars, maintence, listing/selling/negotiating for him. He's a local legend, and general great guy who is a hardcore car guy also, he gave me a really fun side job a while back, so when not sellin comm. real estate for him, I still get a lil seat time in a few he has left.

Wow! Sounds like a neat and sad side job.
Neat that you get to drive cars that not everyone gets to and sad that he's getting rid of them.. and you're helping him. What other cars did he have that you can tell us about? Any pics?
Josh

Owning any car and not driving it is a sin in my book. They were built to drive and should get a minimum of 1500 miles a year.

The only part on a GNX I would be concerned about breaking is the ceramic turbo. Best bet is to remove it and put on an aftermarket one. All the other main parts are still available other than the funky rear suspension set up but that should not break from driving it.

A good stock 86/87 TR off the showroom floor with a good driver would turn 13.9-14.1 sec 1/4 mile back in the day. GNX's could do the same trick in 13.1-13.4. I remember an article years back in the GSXtra that posted time slips of the Presidents GNX and showed times of 13.13,13.3 and 13.3. Thats almost a full second faster than a "regular" GN. That is one of the reasons why the GNX brings the big dollars. It took the Corvette until 1990 to hit that mark and that was in the ZR1. Standard Vettes are just past that now with the C6. The 2001-2004 Z06's were the only C5's to do it.

Just my .02

first of all any grand national is a worthwhile investment, let alone a GNX. But, those of you that complain, about collectors not driving their cars... its what THEY want to do with them. some people actually enjoy just looking at their honey, and never driving it. Me? I dont. I like to cruise mine, but, if for some reason i couldnt anymore, id be just fine with my gn in the garage. id screw with it soo much, by the end of 2 or so years, it would look as if it had just been assembled 5 minutes ago back in flint. id probably take it to concourse events or something similar, and just show it.
Who cares what the other guy does with his TR? Theyre good investments either way. I got my mint 69,000 mile gn for 10.5 a little over a year ago, and im totally sure it would appraise for 20 grand in about 6 years or so. Good investment in my book. Either way though, Ill never sell it no matter how much it was worth. The GNX is hemi cuda of turbo regals, and had the honors of being that lineups 'top of the line' model. therefore, it is always going to fetch top dollar. Oh and by the way, I wouldnt be suprised if there was only about 12,000 GN's on the road today. If thats not rare, I dont know what is. One of 12,000? Id get one while you can if I were you. Theyre going quick. Just MY mechanics shop alone, theres 4 rotting there, almost totally wasted.... Imagine how many there are right now spread out all over the continent...

I bet to say less then 4000 GN'S today.....

GNX hemi cuda?? A hemi cuda has a HEMI...A GN has a 3.8 turbo just as the GNX.... they are all going to be worth money period.....

slowcar said:
GNX hemi cuda?? A hemi cuda has a HEMI...A GN has a 3.8 turbo just as the GNX.... they are all going to be worth money period.....
I think he means: How many Cudas....how many are Hemis. How many Turbobuicks...how many are GNXs. I get the drift. And I agree with your last line.

Yes.. i know the differences between the two lol. i was born and raised wrenching on cars (albeit more simpler 318's and 350s though) in the motor city. :) My dad helped assemble the E bodies of the early 70's and was a diehard mopar man. My main cruisin buddy, cruises a viper red 70 cuda and we race all the time :) (sweet car too)

What I meant was though, that the gnx, is to the grand national, what the hemi cuda was to the standard issue 340/360 barracuda of its time. The hemi model was the most desireable form out. As of now, the hemi cudas are the king of the muscle car world, with their rarity, and raw power..... until the king of kings, the 1987 buick grand national GNX was released. Let the gnx age nicely for a few more years, and see if that hemi cuda still sits upon the throne. If not, lets line em up, and race for the title... I know who I'm betting on.... Matter of fact, I'd like to see two bone stockers race on PINKS.... :) would be a great race.....

"Walk awayyyy, from meee my lovvee...."

Scott Long said:
I might see one all summer. If I saw a GNX I'd be happier than when I see a Bentley or Ferrari. The Bentley or Ferrari driver is showing his money off, the GNX owner is a true connoisseur of fine auto's in my opinion.

Much as I like my GN, referring to a GNX's driver as a "true connoisseur of fine autos" has got to be one of the most ridiculous statements I've heard in quite some time.
Especially when referenced to a Ferrari.
Rare, fast, Bad in Black-sure, but a connoisseur looking for a fine auto probably doesn't have an 87 Buick high on the list.

gnx's are in a lot of peoples high end car collections... if not, theyre on their wishlists... they are quite rare, fast cars. like the old ac cobras. in fact, there are less gnx's than the cobras. and im sure theyre just as fast too.

Sum of its parts

The question was "Why a GNX?" Is the GNX more than the sum of its parts? Is it an investment, an object d'art, a Bugatti Veyron in black clothing or just another dressed up GN? I think one responder sumed it up properly when he said it is different things to different people.

As far as it being an investment, I was looking for a GNX in 1990 because my father always drove a Buick, my father-in-law worked at a Buick agency for 40 years and it was the only Buick I could see myself enjoying (from a performance perspective). When they first came out, several people did buy them as an investment and many were advertised at $80,000. According to the sales mgr of one of my local Phila. Buick agencies (Kutner), they sold theirs sight unseen to a dentist in NY who sent a deposit check for $5000. Then they had thoughts it would soar in price so they bought back his purchase rights for $10,000 (all this before it arrived). All the sales mgr said was that they took a loss on the sale. As you are aware, those folks back then were lucky to get $35,000-a rather poor investment. I think the current increase in price was a surprise due to changing demographics and limited supply rather than any fiscal planning. Will it go up in price? Who knows but mine has mostly become a garage queen because of parts availability (I like to keep it 100% stock) and the theft rate. I take it out to shows/BCA meets. The sale value means little to me (the kids will benefit if at all)-it is still fun to drive.

I own the GNX that was sold by KUTNER do you still have any contact information with your source on my car? I would love to track down some history on it.
Thanks
Herb

Herb,
So you are the one who got a bargain on their GNX! I am curious, what is the number of your car? I seem to recall that they said it was a low number because they sold a lot of cars (personally, I doubt this because they have been out of business for at least 15 years and other dealers in Phila/Phila suburbs have survived to this day). Also, Kutner was no bargain...I took my car there in 1990 to be inspected for the first time necessary as a result of licensing (didn't know better...Kirban was about 30 minutes down the road and he was extremely helpful in directing and advising me so I could avoid their games). For example, they said I failed PA emissions (car was from NJ) as my O2 sensor was bad so they ordered one...when I told them they ordered the wrong sensor as the GNX uses one different from the GN, they checked and corrected their error. Of course, Kutner was operated like every other dealer in this area...mechanics are independent contractors and paid a flat rate.

Getting back to your question, they have been long gone and other than the two times I was foolish enough to bring my car to them, I never had any relationship with the administrative or service staff. Thus I don't know where they went.

Sorry I can't be of any further help. I will ask Dennis or other locals at his open house and if they know anything, I will let you know.

Regards,
Rich

Thanks, I got the car about ten years ago from a friend on cape cod. He had it for years also but didn't buy it new. It is a very low number 016. I would love to find anything out about the car/original owner so thank you for your effort.
Herb