Why mostly heads-up and no bracket?

toofastforyou

2FAST4U
Why is it that almost every class which are run at Bowling Green (and other Buick events) are heads up classes? Whatever happened to good old bracket racing ? It seems that every time a new class is created, it's inevitably heads-up racing...

Claude.

P.S: Yes I know they have the ''B'' classes (B1, B2, etc...) but it's like if they're not important, as no one ever post any results about the winners or mention anything about them in magazines, forums like here, etc...

This is my opinion....and it's a biased one at that. Because bracket racing is for people that don't want to spend the time and money to get a car competitive in a certain class. I understand the point but at the same time, a drag race is a drag race....heads up. And it's a little boring compared to heads up. Like I said, just MY opinion.

This is my opinion....and it's a biased one at that. Because bracket racing is for people that don't want to spend the time and money to get a car competitive in a certain class. I understand the point but at the same time, a drag race is a drag race....heads up. And it's a little boring compared to heads up. Like I said, just MY opinion.
Thanks for your reply...I partially agree with you when you say that ''bracket racing is for people that don't want to spend the time and money to get a car competitive in a certain class''. Yes it's not everyone who are interested or (important) can afford to build a car just to make it ''fit'' in a specific class :rolleyes:...BUT...bracket raqcing definitely gives everyone a fair chance at winning, fast or slow. Pretty simple...you dial your time, ''cut'' a good light and run as close as possible to your dial without going under. You don't absolutely have to drive a fast car to have fun, just to be consistent and you have a good chance of going far into the eliminations. (y) And like you, this is just MY opinion.;)
Also, since the early '50's when drag racing was born, it's always been 1/4 mile handicap-style racing...What in the world happened that made all of this no good anymore?? As for heads-up racing, I think it only favors a few select racers who usually have the fastest cars and often have big wallets and the small racer doesn't stand a chance at winning anything, gets discouraged and doesn't come back anymore. There are about 10-15 guys who are mostly the same who win year after year...:rolleyes: No wonder why amateur participation is dwindling year after year...:(

Claude.:)

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of your thoughts. It's tough and can really wear you down when you see the amount of money it takes to be competitive in some of the bigger classes. And it's. It happening just drag racing either. And that's where bracket racing fills that void but I still have a problem with the dial in time. I know it has to be there to keep people honest but I hate the throttle stop/delay boxes used in some classes. And that's not saying I wouldn't enjoy or have a good time bracket racing because I would. In the end racing is racing and as long as I don't have to go broke (even though I sometimes do) doing it and I'm having fun then I'm in. I used to race motorcycles and the money, time and everything else that goes with it burnt me out to where is wasn't fun. I've learned now when to walk away to a different hobby before I get to that point. And I think that's where bracket racing "saves" a lot of people from getting out of drag racing altogether.

I agree with a lot of your thoughts. It's tough and can really wear you down when you see the amount of money it takes to be competitive in some of the bigger classes. And it's. It happening just drag racing either. And that's where bracket racing fills that void but I still have a problem with the dial in time. I know it has to be there to keep people honest but I hate the throttle stop/delay boxes used in some classes. And that's not saying I wouldn't enjoy or have a good time bracket racing because I would. In the end racing is racing and as long as I don't have to go broke (even though I sometimes do) doing it and I'm having fun then I'm in. I used to race motorcycles and the money, time and everything else that goes with it burnt me out to where is wasn't fun. I've learned now when to walk away to a different hobby before I get to that point. And I think that's where bracket racing "saves" a lot of people from getting out of drag racing altogether.
I agree 100%!(y) Like you, I don't like the throttle stop/delay boxes but hey, nothing's perfect!...But other than that, I'm pretty ok with the rest of the way bracket racing is done. I also agree that what's the most important is to have fun (y) and it's when things get too expensive that it's important to know when to ''pull the plug'' before it gets out of hand!
Claude. ;)
P.S: It's true that bracket racing kinda ''saves'' people from getting out of racing...I am the perfect example of that! :cool:

Last edited:
When I went to Norwalk a few years ago they had another group called renegade. This was index racing. 12.90,11.90,10.90 and 9.90. No trans brakes, delay boxes,2 steps or throttle stops. I really enjoyed the pro tree and both cars left together which as a spectator is more " real racing " It is still a form of bracket racing but no shoe polish. Now don't compare this to NHRA Index classes that start stop and then go again, that empty's the stands faster than a bomb threat. :rolleyes: I understand the heads up deal but when you go to different tracks there are not always enough cars in your group and the expense is more. I think there is always a place for both but as the Buick corner of the world gets smaller so will the amount of heads up classes. JMHO

I agree 100%!(y) Like you, I don't like the throttle stop/delay boxes but hey, nothing's perfect!...But other than that, I'm pretty ok with the rest of the way bracket racing is done. I also agree that what's the most important is to have fun (y) and it's when things get too expensive that it's important to know when to ''pull the plug'' before it gets out of hand!
Claude. ;)
P.S: It's true that bracket racing kinda ''saves'' people from getting out of racing...I am the perfect example of that! :cool:

Everyone knows I'm not much of a racer. But even if I was, it would drive me crazy to build a car that was competitive for a single class. I can't afford a car that does just one thing well, let alone be good at at! And if I did build a car for a class, it would mostly only get driven when I was racing.

When I built up my ride, I built it for me. This means it has to be able to drive it anywhere, go to car shows and win trophies, and run some very respectable numbers at the track. For a guy like me, there will never be a class I could race in. I'll always be outside the rules.

So I agree with Claude on this one. Bracket racing is important to keep things fun. It's no fun for me to wick the boost up to 45 PSI and run on the ragged edge when I plan to drive the car home afterward. Besides, there's more fun waiting on the 3 hour ride home then there was on the 30 seconds spent on the race track that day.

Like you, I don't like the throttle stop/delay boxes but hey, nothing's perfect!...But other than that, I'm pretty ok with the rest of the way bracket racing is done. I also agree that what's the most important is to have fun (y) and it's when things get too expensive that it's important to know when to ''pull the plug'' before it gets out of hand!
Claude. ;)

None of the heads up classes at BG are allowed to run throttle stops/delay boxes. That stuff is mostly ran in the bracket/index classes.

The electronics that some of us run are bump boxes, 2-step and trans brake. And these are also ran in the bracket classes.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

From a spectators stand point there is nothing more boring that a bracket race. Im not knocking it however it is NOT something that gets the crowd pumped up. When bracket racing most spectators are seated, for heads-up classes most are standing and watching intently... The recent generation has alot of focus on heads up type racing (mostly due to the popularity of street outlaws and main stream media). For the older generation it is what they grew up watching, times have changed so in order to maintain spectator excitement, and filling the stands, heads up racing is where its at..

Just my 02..

From a spectators stand point there is nothing more boring that a bracket race. Im not knocking it however it is NOT something that gets the crowd pumped up. When bracket racing most spectators are seated, for heads-up classes most are standing and watching intently... The recent generation has alot of focus on heads up type racing (mostly due to the popularity of street outlaws and main stream media). For the older generation it is what they grew up watching, times have changed so in order to maintain spectator excitement, and filling the stands, heads up racing is where its at..

Just my 02..
I think you explained it well, thank you.(y)
In my case, I am like you said part of the ''older generation'' and favor bracket racing over heads-up but I understand your point.
Claude. ;)
Simple. If it's not Heads-Up, it's not a Drag-Race.
and ''JM''... too bad you couldn't come up with a more...''useful'' reply like the others...:rolleyes:

It looks like you have bracket 1-2-3 super 16 turbo pro bracket as well as 11.49 and 10.49 index.

Add bracket racing and there is something for everyone

Last year at Piedmont (tb.com nationals) it seemed to me that the bracket class had the most cars competing. I have been bracket racing for quite some time and without it I wouldn't race. I watched most of the index races and to be honest they weren't all that competitive and were rather boring until the end when all the slower cars had been eliminated. I believe that the faster cars are rarely consistent. I don't really understand index racing though as I have never done it. At my local track nothing empties the stands faster than when the cars with the delay boxes come out to run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year at Piedmont (tb.com nationals) it seemed to me that the bracket class had the most cars competing. I have been bracket racing for quite some time and without it I wouldn't race. I watched most of the index races and to be honest they weren't all that competitive and were rather boring until the end when all the slower cars had been eliminated. I believe that the faster cars are rarely consistent. I don't really understand index racing though as I have never done it. At my local track nothing empties the stands faster than when the cars with the delay boxes come out to run.

I understand that. However in index racing there are no delay boxes as they dont do you any good. As far as slower cars being eliminated there is no such thing. ALL CARS in a given index are on the same dial in. Lets say for example in the 1/4 mile you car can run 11.20s or so. Think about a class where all the cars MUST run the same dialin, in this example 11.49. Your 11.20 car is MORE than competitive for a 11.49 dial in class and guess what?? You dont have to run a 20K engine, 5k trans, and 5k in electronics to be a key player...... I can tell you that in BG if you decide to go I am running 2 index classes (10.49 and 11.49). So if it takes you lets say 28psi of boost to run 11.20s then you are pushing the motor, trans, diff, etc... very hard. It may only take you 23psi to run 11.40s so you take a load off the car, you dont have to run it all in, and then its doesnt matter who has the most money or the highest HP, you simply cant run faster than 11.49 or you will lose. Just like bracket racing you can break out, its the same in index racing... Index racing is MUCH MORE about the drivers ability than the cars ability. I know several people that run low 10s, high 9s that are going to run the 10.49 class because it is fun, very competitive, and you dont have to run the crap out of the car so it makes it easier.... I suggest you try to run it IF you can fit into one of the 2 classes.... Good luck!!

I understand that. However in index racing there are no delay boxes as they dont do you any good. As far as slower cars being eliminated there is no such thing. ALL CARS in a given index are on the same dial in. Lets say for example in the 1/4 mile you car can run 11.20s or so. Think about a class where all the cars MUST run the same dialin, in this example 11.49. Your 11.20 car is MORE than competitive for a 11.49 dial in class and guess what?? You dont have to run a 20K engine, 5k trans, and 5k in electronics to be a key player...... I can tell you that in BG if you decide to go I am running 2 index classes (10.49 and 11.49). So if it takes you lets say 28psi of boost to run 11.20s then you are pushing the motor, trans, diff, etc... very hard. It may only take you 23psi to run 11.40s so you take a load off the car, you dont have to run it all in, and then its doesnt matter who has the most money or the highest HP, you simply cant run faster than 11.49 or you will lose. Just like bracket racing you can break out, its the same in index racing... Index racing is MUCH MORE about the drivers ability than the cars ability. I know several people that run low 10s, high 9s that are going to run the 10.49 class because it is fun, very competitive, and you dont have to run the crap out of the car so it makes it easier.... I suggest you try to run it IF you can fit into one of the 2 classes.... Good luck!!

I'll try to educate myself more on the index racing. My car runs low 11's I'm sure I can detune it to run 11.49's. Do the rules allow running in the index class and bracket? I will be at the tb.com nats in May. Not sure if I can make BG?

About index racing... In BG this year, will there be only the two index classes you mentioned (10.49 and 11.49)? I'm asking because I'm running mid 9's and it would take a good amount of de-tuning it to run 10.49 and also, I find that and this kinda defeats all the efforts I've put in the car to get it to run the times it runs now...
I don't have a delay box BUT I do use a trans-brake...Is it ok? I went to BG in 2015, ran in ''B1'' and went all the way to last 4 cars (semi-finals) where I lost, but that was ok as I had a great time...and I'm wondering if I'm better off staying in ''B1'' ?
Thank you,
Claude.;)

The only downside to the index classes is the use of electronics aids. Go and search NHRA Super Gas or Super Comp. I think the trans brake is ok but the use of delay boxes, throttle stops and 2 steps is where it looses its appeal. I just think it is a better form of 'bracket racing".

So, this index thingy is just to run the number with no mind as ro who gets to the other end of the track? I'm pretty sure a delay box would help a racer "cut a light" and help them get to the other end first and run the number. So I'm pretty sure a delay box helps.
As far as brackets vs heads up goes it will be an ongoing debate. What would you pay to see? I would want to see the heads up stuff. Run what cha brung is better to me. And this grudge racing at the nats sounds like a good thing . Might need to get a length or two, or have the jump. More like street racing.