Why mostly heads-up and no bracket?

In Index you leave together and who ever gets there first and does not go under the index wins. As far as the street racing thing goes, I think these street outlaw "reality "shows are making the heads up thing look good but its one think to watch and another to participate. If you run a competitive heads up deal it is not cheap. I have been working on a NHRA Superstocker and I can tell you his budget to race is more than my car!:eek:

If you think those guys on st outlaw don't have a bundle in those cars you would be surprised. Street racing has been going on since there were two guys and no streets. They ran. Raced horses and when the second car came they raced them too. I understand they the nhra has no interest in the "little guy" . Painfully obvious with how they run their show. You couldn't pay me to build one of those stock or super stock or even a top fuel. Just doesn't interest me.
And with the popularity of the grudge type races in thinking I'm not the only one. I'd much rather go to a hole in the wall track wander the pits, talk to the racers who want to shoot the bull and maybe place a wager or two and some of the races.
Truth be known id rather do it in the street . But I can as I'm a responsible upstanding individual so I try not ro be doing that type of dangerous activity and take it to the track.

I understand they the nhra has no interest in the "little guy" . Painfully obvious with how they run their show. You couldn't pay me to build one of those stock or super stock or even a top fuel. Just doesn't interest me.
I agree 100% with that! I used to race in NHRA Super Stock classes and that (being too expensive) is in great part why I quit to go bracket racing and never regretted it a second. Nowadays, the rules for Super Stock and Stock classes have changed a lot since back then and they now allow some expensive factory-built cars (Copo Camaros, Cobra Jet Mustangs, etc...) to run against the smaller budget little guys...How fair is that?...(n) It has now become a very high dollar operation to run the divisional events, let alone the national events!...Like you said, ''just doesn't interest me'' anymore.:rolleyes:
Truth be known id rather do it in the street . But I can as I'm a responsible upstanding individual so I try not ro be doing that type of dangerous activity and take it to the track.
Mmmmm... I don't agree with any type of street racing, sorry(n)....but I applaud your ''responsible upstanding individual'' side which has you to take it to the track.(y)

Claude;)

About index racing... In BG this year, will there be only the two index classes you mentioned (10.49 and 11.49)? I'm asking because I'm running mid 9's and it would take a good amount of de-tuning it to run 10.49 and also, I find that and this kinda defeats all the efforts I've put in the car to get it to run the times it runs now...
I don't have a delay box BUT I do use a trans-brake...Is it ok? I went to BG in 2015, ran in ''B1'' and went all the way to last 4 cars (semi-finals) where I lost, but that was ok as I had a great time...and I'm wondering if I'm better off staying in ''B1'' ?
Thank you,
Claude.;)

Sure its ok to use a Tbrake. So your telling me you cant turn you car down to 14-16psi?? It has nothing to do with defeating any purpose for getting the car as fast as it is now. Think about how much easier on parts it would be by turning it down.

Ill tell you this... I found 2 sponsors for the current index class. Find me another Claude and I will run a 9.49 index class. That way several TSM cars could run that with no issues and any TSO or Q16 car could turn down the wick and have fun racing.....

I'm pretty sure a delay box would help a racer "cut a light" and help them get to the other end first and run the number. So I'm pretty sure a delay box helps.

And you would be wrong. Delay boxes are used in full tree classes. This is heads up / pro tree just like THS, TSM, and TSO so the delay box adds no benefit what so ever...

Here is the main issue as I see it. People wait for a FULL YEAR when deciding to go to BG for the nats when they choose not to go anywhere else. So you have waited all this time to go and race ONE class..... Running multiple classes allows you to have double the fun and enjoyment of racing.

Ill bet money that some of the Saturday bracket racers will run Fridays Index racing..... If I had a low 11 second car I would not only run bracket, but turn the car down and run the 11.49 index. Twice the fun and running you car at the biggest event of the year is why most people come. So why not double the pleasure :)

Sure its ok to use a Tbrake. So your telling me you cant turn you car down to 14-16psi?? It has nothing to do with defeating any purpose for getting the car as fast as it is now. Think about how much easier on parts it would be by turning it down.

Ill tell you this... I found 2 sponsors for the current index class. Find me another Claude and I will run a 9.49 index class. That way several TSM cars could run that with no issues and any TSO or Q16 car could turn down the wick and have fun racing.....
Sure I can turn the boost down…but what I meant was that it's not as much fun to run slow when you know that you have a car built to run fast and not being able to enjoy it. As for finding a third sponsor, I would gladly help but here in Canada there's not much support for anything related to drag racing here so unfortunately the odds in finding a sponsor are next to none.:(
Claude.;)

I bracket race up here in the Sportsman Class. No delay boxes or electronics are allowed. It's all on the driver.

And you would be wrong. Delay boxes are used in full tree classes. This is heads up / pro tree just like THS, TSM, and TSO so the delay box adds no benefit what so ever...
Shows how much index doesn't interest me, I didn't even know they ran it with a pro tree.

Rich, what "Sydwyndr" means is that in heads-up classes, delay boxes are basically useless since both cars leave together. They're designed to be used in bracket (handicap) style racing where both cars do not necessary leave together.

Claude. ;)

Really a delay box Is good for a regular tree. Helps people adjust their reaction time to the tree. Your reaction might be quick or slow, but you can adjust it to the tree as the tree counts down the same each time. You adjust your box to get a .501 light if you can react the same way each time.
Heads up run what cha brung seems pretty popular, just like the no prep stuff. Just look at the discovery channel with their series.
I know street racing is dangerous. I haven't been out to any much less participated in decades, but that is what I would go to the track to see. Grudge cars are cool and just because it is fast doesn't mean it will win every time. I know I took many a qwicker car on the street because I could hook and get or give lengths if needed. Just have to know what you will run and have a good idea what they are gonna run. Then all that is left is collect the money.