Will a Remote Oil Filter Cause a Pressure Drop?

I bought a Wix racing filter that I thought would work with the Biggie adapter, but the o-ring seal was too big, so I cut it apart to take a look. There is a coil spring in the bottom and the filter media is clamped at the pleat seam. It has an anti drain back valve. It does not appear to have a by-pass. It's a nice filter, but there are no Wix racing filters that will work with the Biggie adapter that I could find. If you can get a remote setup that will take a Wix racing filter, it will flow a bunch just like the Fram HP series, but has the security of steel end caps and a real coil spring.

the HP's aren't the same as the parts store frams.
We had a fresh engine that we were breaking in for the track and ran it for 3 days about 30 minutes each time to get the temp up. On the third day the oil pressure dropped to 20 psi at 3K and this was with the HP filter Earl. Changed to a NAPA gold and the pressure was back at 60 psi at idle. I won't use another fram because of this.;)

I won't use a Fram anything. I think the HP series are a completely different filter in all aspects except color.... I still wouldn't run one though. I've had 100% success with Mobil1's, Pure 1's and Wix's

We had a fresh engine that we were breaking in for the track and ran it for 3 days about 30 minutes each time to get the temp up. On the third day the oil pressure dropped to 20 psi at 3K and this was with the HP filter Earl. Changed to a NAPA gold and the pressure was back at 60 psi at idle. I won't use another fram because of this.;)

Did you cut the filter apart to see what failed? Was it running a plugged bypass in the filter adapter, and how much pressure did it have at high RPM? Just trying to determine if my 70 PSI of oil pressure is enough to destroy an HP filter internally.

sounds like you need a oil filter cutter opener. the only way to know for sure is to cut them open enough to get a pattern.

Although, with the bypass plugged it would only take one filter to potentially smoke the engine. I'd never run a filter bypass for that reason alone.

Did you cut the filter apart to see what failed? Was it running a plugged bypass in the filter adapter, and how much pressure did it have at high RPM? Just trying to determine if my 70 PSI of oil pressure is enough to destroy an HP filter internally.
We always do so we can make sure everything is ok with a new engine. On initial start up the engine had 60 psi at idle and we take it up to 2K for 30 minutes on three seperate days so it's ready for racing. On the third day idle pressure was 20 psi and nover got above 40 so we had to cut the filter apart to see if there was some trash i it. The media had no noticible metal but was plugged up.:eek::mad:

Well we found are problem! It was a combination of 2 things.

1: the dual filter adapter had flash present within its casting. After probing the passages with welding rod a piece of flash came out.

2: the flash that must have been in the casting when we first put it on broke free and found its way to the bypass in the in the cover and jammed it wide open.

So now engine is on its way out, a little piece of mind pull to confirm no more trash has done its damage. Good thing this is an NA motor so the pull is quick.

Well i have learned a very valuable lesson and will be inspecting every part at aircraft quality levels. I wouldnt expect something like this to have casting material left hanging, but even there QA wouldnt have seen the trash as it was almost impossible to know it was there without jamming stuff in the hole to know it was. This was a direct failure on my behalf to follow policy and procedure during an assembly. We live we learn!

So thank you everyone who had advice and thought, opinions and experiances. Another buick lives to fight another day

A.j.

Glad to hear you found the problem. Just to be safe, I pulled the HP2 off and put on a NAPA Gold 1258 since I plan to run it tonight. I cut the HP2 open, and it looked fine. The only thing I can say bad about it is the cardboard end caps, and the filter media has 3 times more pleats than the WIX racing filter. I could see how it might be more restrictive because most of the pleats are folded over and overlapping each other,but, since it has a bypass valve with a screen on it, you would not know how much oil was being filtered or bypassed, so the oil pressure would look fine.

Well we found are problem! It was a combination of 2 things.

1: the dual filter adapter had flash present within its casting. After probing the passages with welding rod a piece of flash came out.

Nailed it :D

Well i have learned a very valuable lesson and will be inspecting every part at aircraft quality levels. I wouldnt expect something like this to have casting material left hanging, but even there QA wouldnt have seen the trash as it was almost impossible to know it was there without jamming stuff in the hole to know it was. This was a direct failure on my behalf to follow policy and procedure during an assembly. We live we learn!

A.j.

I save myself the trouble of fussing at you since you already know!!

Anybody want to bet $100 Dr. F will inspect the hell out of every part that has a passage from now on? LOL

Oh and to answer your original question....

....No. A remote filter shouldn't cause a pressure drop. :D

lol.... well it was a trying experiance... now all back together, she runs good..... and now im out a dual filter adapter. :rolleyes: