will thsi delco radio work?

FlyinGN

all show no go
I have a chance to get a Delco am/fm/cd with Monsoon radio out of a 98 Camaro. Its a 200 watt amp as a part of the Monsoon.. Will this radio work in my 87 GN if I get the adaptor for the connector and the antennea? I have an amp already powering that back speakers. Will this has to be removed to make the Monsoon amp work? Will the adaptor connector work?

Attachments

• i-1_b.jpg
    i-1_b.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 331
It will fit in dash with the Buick brackets. As far as the Monsoon amp, is it external or internal? You will have to use the Monsoon amp or the other one that is powering the rear speakers. If you need some wiring help, just let me know.

Thanks. Its internal in the radio.. Thanks man. If I get it I will be contacting you.. :)

The Monsoon stereo is a double din unit & the dash opening in our TR's is din & 1/2. It'll work, but will take some fabbing.

Doug C.

hmm. I thought Camaros were din and a half. This one sure looks like 1.5 Din too..

I thought it was a din and a half by looking at the pic, I must be really getting old :( .

I will double check this weekend, IF I actually get it off like I'm supposed to. :(

I can go measure the stereo in my '98 Z28 (Monsoon with the in dash cassette and remote 12 disc changer) & will also measure the din & 1/2 Pioneer in my 944.

Doug C.

one more question

One more question wiz.
Im prolly gonna get this radio radio this w/e. Do you think that there is a special connector that will cause me a wiring nightmare? Does GM standardize the connectors wether there is a Monsoon amp internal or not? Can ya think of any problems that I may encounter? THANKS
Heres a few more pics of it.. You can see the connector

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 250
I'm not "the wiz" but.....

...maybe I can help you. IF the Monsoon Radio has an Internal amp, then the plug at the back of the radio will be like all the other plugs (except for Buick LeSabre) from 88- up. You will have to either take the wiring harness from the car that you got the radio out of and cut your factory harness in your car, or you will have to pick up the harness from Metra Wiring that will be a straight plug in to both harnesses. If you need me to go into detail, I can because I have done 2 swaps of newer delco units into an older car.

Chris

thanks Chris. That was the answer I was looking for. :) Do u think this will be a worthwhile swap??

Absolutely :)

I was very pleased with the results of my swap, and with the subtley updated look of the interior.

If the radio doesn't cost you too much <$200, go for it.

Chris

The Monsoon Radio in a camaro is din and a half. It is also Preamp only. Which means you need a seperate amp. I put a GMC denali Bose CD player in my 96 Impala SS, which is basically the same radio. I had to add a four channel amp. It was worth it, very clear sound. What you need to do is get a Metra theft harness and antenna adapter for the 88-2001 GM Radio, and adapter harness for the 77-87 GM car. Soldier female RCA connectors to the theft harness from the radio, Jump the power and ground leads together between the harnesses. Connect the speaker outputs of the amps to the adapter harness for the car. This is only if you don't want to cut any wiring in the car, and makes it easier to put back to stock. Just hook the RCA cables from your previous amp up to the headunit and your in like flint. I would say it's worth it. Gm radios are nice. Good Luck.

Josh
Mecp certified installer, 10 yrs experience, I'm still only 21!!!!!

Originally posted by newtownhood
The Monsoon Radio in a camaro is din and a half. It is also Preamp only. Which means you need a seperate amp. I put a GMC denali Bose CD player in my 96 Impala SS, which is basically the same radio. I had to add a four channel amp. It was worth it, very clear sound. What you need to do is get a Metra theft harness and antenna adapter for the 88-2001 GM Radio, and adapter harness for the 77-87 GM car. Soldier female RCA connectors to the theft harness from the radio, Jump the power and ground leads together between the harnesses. Connect the speaker outputs of the amps to the adapter harness for the car. This is only if you don't want to cut any wiring in the car, and makes it easier to put back to stock. Just hook the RCA cables from your previous amp up to the headunit and your in like flint. I would say it's worth it. Gm radios are nice. Good Luck.

Josh
Mecp certified installer, 10 yrs experience, I'm still only 21!!!!!

Josh! ya lost me!~ LOL I don't know much about this stuff. Do u live in Newtown Bucks county?? Can we tak more about this?? Doesn't the Monsoon already have an amp in it?? What kind of amp do I need? 4 channel? I only have a 2 channel one now.. Whats a theft harness>?? where would the rca cables go on the GM radio>>>?? Im lost..

I got it:) It was on Ebay and another one came up out of a 2002 SS Camaro 25th anniv car.. Got it for $200. Can;t wait to get it hooked up.. Im prolly gonna need you guys help too:)

????????????????????????????????

I tried this swap before and was unsuccessful.....I was told that these stereo's have to have a control module that our cars do not have. Its the "Theftlock" feature that causes the problem. I tried for over 2 months to get mine to work and finally gave up. I even took it to a Chevy dealer. If for some reason my info was wrong and you make this work(mine was a direct plug in using the GM patch cord--which I still have if you need it) please let me know because these stereo's sound great and fit perfectly.

Thanks,
Kelly

do u think that maybe if the theftlock was activated you will need the module but if not maybe you don't?? What more can ya tel me about it?? THANKS!

FLASH., I just called a Local Delco radio replair place and they said it WILL work fine. In fact, they just got done installing a Theftlock radio inna 77 Monte carlo:)

Frank,

Hate to say it, but a guy I work with has a 87 Monte SS and also tried this last year, hes an electronics wizard and figured he would be able to overcome the "Theftlock" problems. He could'nt!!
Wound up selling HIS on Ebay as well!!
Wish I'd of seen your thread sooner! :(

I tried SEVERAL different places with mine and no one could make it work. If you find out how to make it work please let me know. I already sold my radio, but could pick-up another one.
By the way, mine fit using the brackets that were on it. I just drilled the brackets to use the metal plate that is in the car. It was much easier than trying to swap all the brackets. But then again, I couldn't ever make it work once installed.............

Kelly

guys.. If the theftlock is NOT activated you won't need a module.. It will act like a regular radio.. BUT if the theftlock IS actuvated i believe I am outa luck. I spoke to a guy from H&R radio and they juast got finished with a theftlock radio ina 77 Monte.. Worked fine..