Xylene Use

PaulRV6

Can I use some of this in my fuel tank to clean things up? The car has been sitting for a while but seems to run fine. I have a gal or so extra when I cleaned my concrete so I was wondering if I can dump it in my gas tank to clean out the fuel system?

I've used xylene to raise my octane rating. Haven't used it to clean out the fuel system like you're wanting to...I'm interested to see what others have to say about it. Typically, I've used Seafoam to clean out my fuel sys.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? What about the ratio of xylene to fuel, don't want to overdue it. Thanks

You can safely go to 20-25% if you could/wanted to. A gallon in 1/2 tank of 93 'ish gas is OK--even a gallon in 1/4 tank gas would be OK.

Xylene will clean things out if you want it to or not.....if you have never used it,be prepared for a fuel filter change after the first tank as it could free up a lot of gunk in the tank. If you let it sit in the tank for a week, it may start to settle out and make the car hard to start.

2 gals gas 1 gal Xylene & an ounce of MM oil or trans fluid for added lube. Just did it on Sat & ran 25 lbs with 0 knock! Great stuff!

What does the MM oil do? Can I use something other than that? I don't have any MM oil around.

paul

Where

Where do we get the xylene? Is it better that toluene? I'd like to try octane boosting...

You can get it at the home improvement stores in the paint section. Xylene is a paint thinner. Toulene is very similar only its a few points lower in octane. At the home stores it runs about $8-10 a gallon. Best place I found when I was using the stuff was Sherwin Williams paint stores at around $5 a gallon. I went to alky injection and never looked back.

I use it to clean fuel systems/injectors. My wife's old 92 Explorer used to ping at highway speeds. A gallon of xylene in a full tank, and she was good to go for 6 months.