YOU pick MY turbo.

V6UnderPressure

The Artist FKA Scott4DMny
Would like to hear your opinions. TAX time is coming.:biggrin: And I need to select a turbo for my needs. First off, let me explain my purpose. I have an 87GN that I am going pro-touring with. I have a combination of handling but also want a mix with straight line performance. The car will be run with Nitto Drag Radials all of the time. I would like my car to be consistently around 11.5 or slightly quicker on these radials. I will only hit the track maybe once or twice a year, so I truly do not want to sacrifice too much spool for top end. I want something fun to drive on the street. Now, onto my combo. I know some of these variables will not matter, but I will provide as much info as I can. My car is as follows:

Stock rebuilt block with ARP Headstuds, Stock Cam, Stock Heads, Stock Ported Intake Manifold, Precision 70mm plenum & Accufab Throttle Body w/RJC Power Plate, Precision Front Mount, TA Performance Headers, RJC 3" Downpipe & Crossflow Exhaust, RJC Pulley Set, ATI 3200 N/L converter, FAST XFI, will be running E85.

Any other helpful info, let me know.

On a side note, could someone tell me what performance difference I would see between an S cover and an E cover?

Lastly, I will probably have a 70mm Turbonetics ball bearing turbo with GTQ .85 exhaust housing in my hands shortly but I think this is way too big for my setup.

You're right, a 70 is way too big for your setup unless you're going for straightline performance. Depending upon your budget, I would go with a billet wheel 6765 DBB with a P trim and .63 exh housing if you plan on running 25ish #s of boost. If you're not going to see that much boost, I'd look at a 6365 or 6262 in the same configuration mentioned above.

Good luck!!!
Gino

6265 with the .63
I don't think you need anymore.
Brian H already went 10s with his and a basic build up.

According to the Precision Chart, the 6265 best fits my needs (3000-3200 stall) but I was thinking of going S cover instead of E. What do you guys think?

According to the Precision Chart, the 6265 best fits my needs (3000-3200 stall) but I was thinking of going S cover instead of E. What do you guys think?

Get the S cover I have it. It looks great in the my garage...LOL

Question. Why are you basing your choice on a set Nitto drag radials? It should be on your cam which is stock. Get a TE60 and a set of M/Ts and have a nice wad of cash left in your wallet. 11.5 should a piece of cake, with supporting mods and tune.

I think ur better off with the 6765 because it gives you room to grow imo. At $1800 I would rather just turn the boost down if think its too much.

Question. Why are you basing your choice on a set Nitto drag radials? It should be on your cam which is stock. Get a TE60 and a set of M/Ts and have a nice wad of cash left in your wallet. 11.5 should a piece of cake, with supporting mods and tune.

+1 for the te60 with his goals and you can't beat the price 599.00;)

I think you answered your own question. You just told me to go buy some M/T's. As I said, I may go to the track a couple times a year at most and I am a "run what you brung" guy. So the drag radials is what I am running and will be running 100% of the time. Slicks will get me faster times than drag radials am I right??? So I want enough power that would net me 11.5 on drag radials. 11.20 on slicks I guess.... Im not going for a strictly drag car. IF that were the case, I wouldnt care about lag and just buy some big @$$ turbo!:biggrin:

So far I am leaning towards the 6265S. Being on a budget though, I wouldnt mind purchasing one of the older style turbos to save money. What would be the equivalent?

I run M/T 100% of the time. I run my car without changing anything but tire pressure. Forget slicks, you don't need them to run low 11s. The M/Ts will 60' better than Nittos so you'll ET better. I'd get a TE60 and max it out. You'll have great response on the street and the low 11s you want plus about a grand in your pocket.

It's available with a .63 but it looks silly as hell.

Attachments

• huge turbo.jpg
    huge turbo.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 540
I run M/T 100% of the time. I run my car without changing anything but tire pressure. Forget slicks, you don't need them to run low 11s. The M/Ts will 60' better than Nittos so you'll ET better. I'd get a TE60 and max it out. You'll have great response on the street and the low 11s you want plus about a grand in your pocket.

I will look into the 60. I used to have M/T sportsmans and the wall was too soft (car was wavy), I also had some BFG drag radials, and the rubber seemed a bit soft. To me the Nittos are a little harder than other tires so I compromise only a bit of handling for a little more grip. That is why I am sticking with those. Cheap is what I need right now. :D

I would run a TE 63 or 64 with the 3200 converter and leav yourself a little more room to grow. You dont have much going for you on that combo aside from the converter......your going to be making changes in the future. The 60 is fine, we run one on Austins car, but hhe'll be upgrading again soon.

for $600 u cant beat the TE-60 . I had 1 for years with a 3200 AC louck up converter it had a wicked 60ft on radials actually pulled a tire abt 3 times :eek: on a bone stock longblock. I paid fo the turbo in 1 grudge race too :D

No experience with M/T Sportmans, just the drag radials. They handle fine (at 32lbs) in my opinion, as long as the road is dry. I've got caught a few times and it's not fun. I don't think any drag radial can compare to a regular street tire in the rain though. I also see no point in running regular street tires since any boost just lights them up. I'm not much of a fan of spinning the tire when getting on it in a little street light action. I'ld rather blast out and leave them in the wake.;)

I had sportsman pro's and love them. I had a set that was over 8 years old and went to Noble on them....ran a 12.1 on crappy old tires.