YOU pick MY turbo.

I saw the title of this thread, covered my eyes with my hand, and shook my head. I knew it would turn out this way. I was told by a TR Guru years ago... Built a car to be a half a second faster than your goal if you don't want to risk breaking something everytime you try to hit that number.

You have some good stuff already but here is what I would add for reliability and performance without risking the big boom to the bank account.
Turbo: TE-63/TE-45. .63 precision or garret housing not a .81 $400-$600

Heads. Used set of Champion Irons or A set from a respectable TR builder.$800-$1000

Cam: "If" you do heads 206/206 hyd roller kit. $800

No need for converter change, you have the XFI(WB tune) and with E-85 you got a fuel system to support this stuff I hope.

Now, that is a high ten second combo maybe faster depending how hard you push it. "11.50 should be a cake walk" for that stuff, and it cost less than a Billet Ball Bearing Turbo. Stop B.S yourself with the 11.50 will be enough!:D When you get the 11.52@116 you will up the boost 3 psi and go for the 11.40.-11.35. Who are you kidding... not me! :biggrin: Now the Nitto thing...well thats a whole nother thread...

I used to think that way, especially when I first purchased my GN in 2001. But I am now 32, have a baby girl (another in the oven) and as I get older, my goals have changed. Would I love to have a 9 second car? Sure. But while being part of this board, theres always alot of people that wanna slap their balls around and try to get to 9's & 10's right away. Hell, I used to be one of those guys. Yeah, I know nowadays that its not that hard, but safety is an issue, not to mention things break. Someone said it right. Build a car that can dip into the 10's and then dial it down to add a bit of reliability. I don't have alot of money so I truly can't afford to pay for something that breaks at this point. I am pinching pennies just to get this beast together. Not to mention, I also have an 06 Evolution IX that I currently have 400whp as another toy.(for the twisties) Tthis way I have a toy as one or the other is running. We all know that cars aren't cheap. And having two makes it twice as bad. I WILL be satisfied with running an 11.50. It's just where I am at. I am building my pro-touring GN as a car that is FUN to drive. I don't want to work towards the future here. I want the car setup right the way it is now. I will get heads, cam, etc. later on when it needs a rebuild. Until then, I can only afford bolt ons.

No offense, but thats a HUGE exaggeration. Tell me your not that naive.

HUGE EXAGERATION????????? How do you figure? Are you saying you know my car better than I do?? Come bring your Evo over and we'll go for a spin. Then we'll figure out who is naive. Unti then, I wouldnt talk about other peoples cars if I were you.

HUGE EXAGERATION????????? How do you figure? Are you saying you know my car better than I do?? Come bring your Evo over and we'll go for a spin. Then we'll figure out who is naive. Unti then, I wouldnt talk about other peoples cars if I were you.

Dude, WTF are you talking about. I rest my case on my previous comment about people trying to throw their balls around. I never once dawged your car and of course you got defensive. I meant that there are not that many 9 second "street" cars as you may think on the road, especially without slicks. Actually, I will race you in my evo on radials (no drag radials) if you'd like. However, you will have to run regular radials on your GN as well. Then would you like to race?

Dude, WTF are you talking about. I rest my case on my previous comment about people trying to throw their balls around. I never once dawged your car and of course you got defensive. I said that there are not that many 9 second "street" cars as you may think on the road, especially without slicks. Actually, I will race you in my evo on radials (no drag radials) if you'd like. However, you will have to run regular radials on your GN as well. Then would you like to race?

"Our cars are easliy streetable with 9 second time slips under their belts. I dont have a time slip yet but I do have a car that will pull 9's. I cruise around with the AC and cruise control on all the time!!! "

Then explain to me how my statement is a HUGE EXAGERATION and how I'm naive? You do understand that you dont need to drive WOT at all times right? I got 12 mpgs on E85 during the 09 Power Tour with the AC on, a passenger, and luggage in the trunk. Seems pretty easily streetable to me?:confused:

I wanna know where you live that there are many 9 second cars driving around. Especially when you start running single digits numbers your starting to get into stuff thats not even street legal.
Street legal or not its here and on the street. Come to CT next spring. Within a 60 mile radius there are some really nasty street cars. Lots of nitrous a turbocharged fords and LS cars.

"Our cars are easliy streetable with 9 second time slips under their belts. I dont have a time slip yet but I do have a car that will pull 9's. I cruise around with the AC and cruise control on all the time!!! "

Then explain to me how my statement is a HUGE EXAGERATION and how I'm naive? You do understand that you dont need to drive WOT at all times right? I got 12 mpgs on E85 during the 09 Power Tour with the AC on, a passenger, and luggage in the trunk. Seems pretty easily streetable to me?:confused:

Dude, your sig says you have a Stage 2. Last I heard, Stage 2's were not easy to find, not cheap to buy, and not cheap to build. Easy if you have a fat pocket book maybe. Sure, I could easily build an 8 second turbo'd small block chevy and throw it in my GN. Now THAT is easy. 9 seconds out of our motors??? Not really, especially considering most of us are on the stock block. I remember Grumpy getting there, but look how long it took. And RJC definitely set the bar. I'm sure both would admit it wasn't easy.

If I wanted, I could sell my EVO and go ahead and buy a Stage 2 and be in the 9's as well. But I'd rather have two 11 second cars then one 9 second car. And they are two different animals, both of which are fun to drive depending on the mood I'm in.

Street legal or not its here and on the street. Come to CT next spring. Within a 60 mile radius there are some really nasty street cars. Lots of nitrous a turbocharged fords and LS cars.

I agree there! The LS cars are flat out monsters. However, I'd be curious to see how many 9 second GN's you see in that 60 mile radius. Its too easy to build a chevy or ford nowadays, and much cheaper.

Dude, your sig says you have a Stage 2. Last I heard, Stage 2's were not easy to find, not cheap to buy, and not cheap to build. Easy if you have a fat pocket book maybe. Sure, I could easily build an 8 second turbo'd small block chevy and throw it in my GN. Now THAT is easy. 9 seconds out of our motors??? Not really, especially considering most of us are on the stock block. I remember Grumpy getting there, but look how long it took. And RJC definitely set the bar. I'm sure both would admit it wasn't easy.

If I wanted, I could sell my EVO and go ahead and buy a Stage 2 and be in the 9's as well. But I'd rather have two 11 second cars then one 9 second car. And they are two different animals, both of which are fun to drive depending on the mood I'm in.

No offense Scott but my statement was EASILY STREETABLE not easy to get into the 9's. Any car is difficult to get into the 9's and not all cars are steetable once they are in the 9's. Most of them dont even have carpet in them, let alone AC, radio, cruise, passenger seats, rear seat, etc. Our cars are a different story, if they are built to handle 9's. Crank up the boost at the track, turn down the boost and turn on the AC and cruise for the street.

I used to think that way, especially when I first purchased my GN in 2001. But I am now 32, have a baby girl (another in the oven) and as I get older, my goals have changed. Would I love to have a 9 second car? Sure. But while being part of this board, theres always alot of people that wanna slap their balls around and try to get to 9's & 10's right away. Hell, I used to be one of those guys. Yeah, I know nowadays that its not that hard, but safety is an issue, not to mention things break. Someone said it right. Build a car that can dip into the 10's and then dial it down to add a bit of reliability. I don't have alot of money so I truly can't afford to pay for something that breaks at this point. I am pinching pennies just to get this beast together. Not to mention, I also have an 06 Evolution IX that I currently have 400whp as another toy.(for the twisties) Tthis way I have a toy as one or the other is running. We all know that cars aren't cheap. And having two makes it twice as bad. I WILL be satisfied with running an 11.50. It's just where I am at. I am building my pro-touring GN as a car that is FUN to drive. I don't want to work towards the future here. I want the car setup right the way it is now. I will get heads, cam, etc. later on when it needs a rebuild. Until then, I can only afford bolt ons.
I kind of suspected from your orginal post you were on a tight budget. You're in the same boat as most of us out here. We know the potential of our cars but lack the cash to make it happen. There's no shame in that. Enjoy your family and your cars. You got several opinions on a turbo and all will work. It's just up to you to make your decision. Get it on and tune it. Have fun with it. Now's the time to take care of the wife and kids rather than 10 second time slips.

I'm not exactly sure on his 60ft times but I can remember that thy werent as good as I thought they would have been. I think the clutch is killing his 60ft times but he said if he swapped to an Auto trans, it will kill his power. I want to say his 60ft times were around 1.80's. Dont quote me on that though. The car pulls on the top end like a mad freight train. Last time he dynoed the car, he made 484HP at all 4 wheels. Doesnt sound like much but I think thats an amazing amount of power for a 2.0L motor at all 4 wheels.

off topic

I agree there! The LS cars are flat out monsters. However, I'd be curious to see how many 9 second GN's you see in that 60 mile radius.
There are several. If everyones goal was to have a 9 sec GN most run out of $ before they got there. Most of what is street raced that is really quick are either tin can fox body mustangs or malibus that have a healthy shot of N2O. A few of them have 8 sec power. There has been a few nasty turbocharged windsors and ls powered cars around over the years too.