You think this is a problem?

thats what I was thinking, just tighten all the bolts a quarter turn and call it a day

Bob

Thats was the first thing I tried.
Looks like there was silicone or some type of sealant on the gasket, or your intake needs to be machined to a proper fit?

Alum heads almost always need to have the intake port alignment and block clearance checked closely.

You also need to determine the proper intake gasket thickness for your build. I have used gaskets from 0.030" to 0.200" thick to obtain a proper intake fit.

The clearance at both ends of the block to intake must be measured to determine how you are going to seal those areas as well.

Sometimes the stock rubber end seals are too thick and will not allow the intake to mate tightly to the heads.

Sorry for the boring tech info as I have no "cute" comment about your dilemma, as I have been there a few times! :)

Nick, thanks for your input. Good info as usual. (y)

That looks like a serious misalignment ...one side torqued down before the other maybe ?

Bryan

Could be. The main problem is the bolts used on the intake were too long. :unsure:

the blown intake port gasket is one concern and the deformed coolant jacket gasket is another....

Excess silicone cause that coolant port to do that?

I always use very very little silicone. Let the gasket do the job.

I'm with you bro, I don't use allot of silicone. It's like the coolant wicked into the gasket. I never liked this style. They are just too flimsy for the application.

The way it's deformed and stretched, that happened in the field.

Give that man a :cigar:

I've seen similar issues with those blue-ringed FelPros on NA SBCs. Mostly the divider piece that resides between the two adjacent ports. Several of them were moved completely off the head/intake surface and into the actual port area. While in other areas the gasket moved away from the port.

Went back to VR gaskets that are embossed around the ports.

My guess is that the blue rubber sealing ring is too slippery. Which allows the gasket to move around.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Always great input from RBF.This style gasket is flimsy and not ridgid enough for the application IMO.

Do you have a part number for the VR's?

Thanks for everyones input. :cool:

Rick

Always great input from RBF. This style gasket is flimsy and not ridgid enough for the application IMO.

Do you have a part number for the VR's?

Thanks for everyones input. :cool:

Rick

CarQuest carries VR gaskets, I don't have the part number. I just did a quick look on RA and they show a full one piece steel VR gasket for the intake. This may be a case where TA or Weber has a better choice.

RemoveBeforeFlight