Your thought on the BMW 8 series cars

SA -------- WEET!
Always loved those. I've worked on some in the past. Seems to be a typical BMW of that era. FUN TO DRIVE!, but needs some attention to keep them running good.

Those are fine cars, but the only thing I know about them is that I'd love to have one. There's one here locally that looks just like that. DeNiro drove one in "The Score" so they gotta be cool. :cool:
How do they compare to an M3? You can find those for a good price if you go 97 and older.

I think the 850's look nice and menicing, you should go for it.

I have a 535i w/ the straight 6 and I had to put the smackdown on a newer maxima with 2 teens screaming and yelling with the music cranked at a light to an entrance ramp...we both snoozed when the green arrows came up but I nailed it and had the inside lane on the left turn and didn't lift til they gave up around 80 :cool: I got them by a car and a half and they only made up about a 1/4 car and I could see in the rear view when they lifted and moved in behind me to merge onto the eway :) I've just got a K&N and a chip in it, it runs ok but sure feels strange without any boost :(

I think the M5 with the 400+ would be a nice daily driver but thats $$$$$$$$$$$

Last week there was a White 850 on Ebay,for a reasonable price

Love tehm cars ,but the 12cyl has had it share of problems in the past....now if you droped a small V6 in there ,,,:) :)

One of my favorite BMWs...

I really can't tell you too much about these cars. If I had to buy a BMW, that would definately be my first choice.

I can't help but wonder about the 12cyl engines though. It seems that these cars don't have the initial punch that certain little v6s have.

Every once in a while I will see an 8 series here in Germany. Cars here are very well taken care of due to the strict inspections. Just wish I had the money while I'm here and have a wide open autobahn.

The license plate on the front of the car is a German license plate from Frankfurt. Hence the "F".

Here's a website for more info...

http://www.e31.net/english.html

Top speed comes out to 155 - 186 mph.... OMG that must be nice.

Looks like a Ford Probe :)

I had a 540 in the shop last week and it was comfortable, quiet and FAST......

SCREW THE GERMAN CARS...........RIGHT NOW, THEY'RE JUST ABOUT AS GOOD AS A PUGEOUT.:rolleyes:..........THAT'S NO GOOD! ADMIRE AN AMERICAN CAR!

What is it about the V12s? Hard to keep tuned because of all the dang cylinders, or what? Are they prone to certain types of problems?

I know they are heavy cars, and I bet they get horrid gas mileage, but what a machine!

Originally posted by dhauser
What is it about the V12s? Hard to keep tuned because of all the dang cylinders, or what? Are they prone to certain types of problems?

I know they are heavy cars, and I bet they get horrid gas mileage, but what a machine!

Hope you got a beer in hand ,cause you asked for it ...:D :D

The valve train ,I think is the problem...
http://www.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/

Dhauser is right about them being a heavy car. The 12 cyls weren't built to perform as much as they were built to be smooth. And they are smooth. They feel like you are driving a car with an electric motor. The S60 engine engine is designated as an M engine, but it isn't truly a "Motorsport" engine an M engines are built by BMW's Motorsport devision by hand, and these aren't. Have not heard of valvetrain complaints, as these have hydraulic followers. pretty simple setup. THE problem with these cars is the electrical, as they were initially designed around a 48V (I believe) system. They couldn't get it to work reliably, like they still can't and tried to bandaid the situation with two batteries. This is the major holdup with solenoid actuated valves (read camless). They are trying to get this figured out for the E65/66 (new 7) because the next generation 12 has this setup in the works. Anyway, let that 8 sit for a month or so and chances are that the batteries are dead and it is not going to start. If I had the cash and my heart set on a 12 I would get an E38 750. Saaaweeeeet.
My 2 cents.

Has anyone here on the board actually owned one of these cars? Would like to hear your thoughts on these cars. I keep reading they are expensive to maintain, whether or not they break in any kind of major way.....

Very expensive in every way....My 740IL cost twice as much to insure then 2GN's with full coverage,,because it is their flagship car is what they told me ...I can see why also..Not long ago my 740 was hit in the front fender ,,what looked like about $1500 for repairs was over $5000..

IF your handy like all GN owners, then the Forum I sent you will help with repairs since the dealer is EXPENSIVE,,actually read the forum I sent ,,they actually call the Dealer ,,,The Stealer:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
A motor for a 740 or 8sesries is about $8-9 THOUSAND:eek: :eek:
Transmission is a Very pretty penny also...

I dont think there is a car on the planet like a BMW at speeds over 100,,fells like you are lying on the sofa,,,that smooth:D

Thats why mine will be gone this week,,,$$$$$$$

Yep, thanks for that forum thread. I read some stuff over there and they seem very intelligent and knowledgeable. I'm really tempted to go for it, and check one out. I fear the poor gas mileage and insurance would kill me, though. Oh well, can always sell it...:D ;)

One of the kids that lived in the apartment across from ours had a black 850. He treated it like a rented mule. I guess his parents would have lost their butt trading it in so they gave it to their twenty something to daily drive.

You have to wonder about cars that loose 85% of their value. There has to be something driving that.

Yeah, you're right. That does beg some questions.

Thought you guys might like to hear what Dennis Kirban had to say about them:

The 8 series saw very limited
production and I suggest you check with an actual
mechanic at a BMW dealership like some seven series
with all their electronics in them some problems I am
sure can arise and be costly to fix. that is why 5
series are more popualr used than 7 series...7 series
really drop in value over the years compard to what
they cost new. I have a 95 M3 that I have kept with
the luxury package 5 speed super super nice car all
around also a good value now as are most M3 prior to
the new 2001 and newer...depending on what you seek a
97 or 98 540 is a super super nice car earlier ones
had problems with our fuel. if the car has schniztler
parts on it some one spend ALOT of money even simpyl
stuff from that company si a small fortune. the rare
set up is the stick shift 8 series tan interiors are
hard to keep clean again just my opinions....good
luck....

No I haven't. I probably should, though. Do you suggest that for some specific reason, or just "out of safety?"