ZR1 vette???

vettekilr

"NO its not a MONTE"
Does anyone know how fast a stock '86 zr1 is?Its a freind of my buddy,and hes dying to race,doesnt it have a 350 TPI?? Just want a little info before we race!!! THANX!

Originally posted by vettekilr
Jack your probaly right,do you know if the TPI came in the 90 ZR1?

The ZR1 had a 32-valve LT5 engine jointly designed by GM and Lotus. 375 HP '90-92 and 405 HP for '93+. Totally different than the run-o-the-mill 350 TPI.

Jim

Originally posted by turbojimmy
The ZR1 had a 32-valve LT5 engine jointly designed by GM and Lotus. 375 HP '90-92 and 405 HP for '93+. Totally different than the run-o-the-mill 350 TPI.

Jim

Yup, LT5 Vettes are sticking right up there with LS6 Vettes right now. Go to someplace like LS2.com and start a thread about a race between a ZR1 and a GN. You may get a some people flapping their jaws about how great the Vette is but you will also get a lot of useful information about Vettes, including the ZR1.

the LT5 was arguably the fastest car around in those days......you better have a solid 12 sec GN to stay with a good running ZR1

(if you can find one to race.....most are tucked away in moth balls with collectors)

Originally posted by azgn
the LT5 was arguably the fastest car around in those days......you better have a solid 12 sec GN to stay with a good running ZR1

And whatever you do, don't race one from a roll.

They will take an '02 - up Z06 from a roll and Kill a regular C5.

Originally posted by UNGN
And whatever you do, don't race one from a roll.

Dang, I musta missed the memo on that.

BUT,

Leaving the outskirts of Chicago a couple years ago, there was a ZR1, and a certain black ole Buick. After paying the tolls, there was a limited amount of room, wayyyyy ahead that involved passing a few slower vehicles. Well, as we, ugh, the Vette Throttles Up, the ole Black Buick desided, naaa, he didn't want to follow some 'glass. So from about 20-25 old black car came from behind the ZR, and proudly displayed his tailights to the guy in the Vette.

Maybe, the afore mentioned memo, needs editing........

Yes, the ZR1 motors were designed to wind up so taking one from a roll definately wouldn't be a good idea.

I used to love it when they were the only cars with the squared off taillights... made pickin' em out easy. Then they went to all of the 'Vettes having them so now they can hide.

Pretty rare to see 'em though.

Didn't they also have a valet key that shut off half the runners on the intake?

Originally posted by gn85
Didn't they also have a valey key that shut off half the runners on the intake?

And 1/2 the injectors. They used a total of 16.

I believe the runner door changed the intake tract lenght. But, it's been a while since I looked at one.

Well just talked to my buddy,and he said his freinds ZR1 is a FAKE!!:rolleyes: Just a 86 vette with a 350 TPI,front end and rear end are off a 90 ZR1,The nerve of some people:D .Could someone verify that late 80's vettes had TPI along the door?THANX

Well just talked to my buddy,and he said his freinds ZR1 is a FAKE!!:rolleyes: Just a 86 vette with a 350 TPI,front end and rear end are off a 90 ZR1,The nerve of some people:D .Could someone verify that late 80's vettes had TPI along the door?THANX

I posted a link to this thread at LS2.com. That board is a fast moving board so you may have the facts your looking for pretty soon.

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61191

The ZR-1s were actually wider than the regular vettes. The rear of the ZR-1 is 3" wider than a regular Vette to fit the 315 tires on the 11" rims. The rear wouldn't go on a regular Vette. Your friend's friend might just have the badges.

Jim

Mid '80's vettes were marked on the rub strip, (for lack of a better term), just in front of the doors. I believe '85 & up used tpi. '84's I believe, were that stupid cross fire injection, and were marked on the rub strip just before the doors.
CorvetteForum has a wealth of information available.
Due to the value of a ZR1 motor, I think that it was a $ 32K option, or there abouts, I don't think that anybody would put that motor in an earlier vette, but you never know about those vette owners.

Originally posted by bruce
Dang, I musta missed the memo on that.

BUT,

Leaving the outskirts of Chicago a couple years ago, there was a ZR1, and a certain black ole Buick. After paying the tolls, there was a limited amount of room, wayyyyy ahead that involved passing a few slower vehicles. Well, as we, ugh, the Vette Throttles Up, the ole Black Buick desided, naaa, he didn't want to follow some 'glass. So from about 20-25 old black car came from behind the ZR, and proudly displayed his tailights to the guy in the Vette.

Maybe, the afore mentioned memo, needs editing........

You obviously run faster than 107 in the 1/4 :)

A stock ZR1 is good to 111-113 in the 1/4 and doesn't shift into OD at 115 like a Buick. The Vette will keep pulling hard to over 170 (it will be at 160 in less than a mile)

The Vette will keep pulling hard to over 170

The trick is, er, or, so, I've been told is that you want to put soo much distance on them by 150, that you quit while you're way ahead. And/or they've just given up well before that.

I think there's a memo out on that. <G>

It was definitely a TPI car, and I am almost positive that 1990 was the first year of the ZR1, I was a senior in HS, and we used to hang out at Fender's down in Dallas on Fri and Sat nights, hopin' to see the few of them that hung there as well as a few BAD A$$! GN's that cruised there.That place was a riot on the weekends. :D

Also, I think all 5.7ltr Camaro,Firebird,and Corvettes in 1990 were Speed Density Cars instead of Mass Air TPI's.

ZR1's were 6 speed not automatics..

You obviously run faster than 107 in the 1/4 :)

A stock ZR1 is good to 111-113 in the 1/4 and doesn't shift into OD at 115 like a Buick. The Vette will keep pulling hard to over 170 (it will be at 160 in less than a mile)

back in 90, when we used to street race a lot one of my friends bought a new 90 ZR1 and I would go out to street race with him. Dead stock.. We used to race a hi 12 second GN with DOT M&H's all the time. She used to get us bad out of the hole but the ZR1 used to chase her down top end and sometimes passed her(if she did not get a GREAT launch) before the 1/4 mile.. It was a close race cause the ZR1 had stock tires and couild not launch but man o man what a top end..

when the zr1s first came out they were supposed to be super cars----- but i remember the fastest ones(at milan) were running 13.40's and getting wipped on bad by most all the gns-- everyone lost interest in them fast