You can type here any text you want

00 Chevy 1500 VS 08 Chevy HD

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Underboost

Mr. Dull
I spanked a brand new no plates yet 4 door 2wd Chevy Diesel HD last night in my 5.3 2000 ex cab Chevy truck "that I tow the GN with". LOL We raced two times and I hole shot ed him both times at the light and he couldn't catch me. I seriously don't get it. He should have kicked my a$$ and he instigated the whole thing too. My lil 5.3 1500 kicks a$$!!

My truck is the White Chevy.

LastYearsNats1.jpg

Excellent kill!!

I can attest to the power and quickness of the 5.3L ext cab Chevies. I also had a 2000 Ext cab 2wd model that I messed around with a little bit. I had a Hypertech power programmer and a K&N FIPK kit that completely replaced the stock air feed tube and box assembly. About $575.00 street price on those two parts. With only those two mods, my '00 ran a best of a 15.29 @ 93 mph with a baby 2.10 60ft. Get this, it was a peg leg too.
It was a very quick truck for it's size. One of my old customers had an '00 that he raced at his local track. Motor was a stock 5.3L with full length headers and cat back exhaust from Arizona Speed and Marine, direct bolt on replacement dual electric fans, custom PCM flash, and an NX EFI adjustable nitrous kit jetted for a 150 shot. On BFG Drag radials, his best time was a 12.76 @ 106.
They run, and make for excellent tow vehicles. I put 93k miles on mine before I traded it in on an '04 model. Absolutely zero maintenance issues.
Great trucks.

Patrick

5.3's rock, especially with power adders, here is our newest creation! It's my brothers 69 chevy C10 with a 2000 5.3 LS-x and a 4l60E, all the work was done by us, it will be receiving a 76mm Turbo in the future after the wallet starts to fatten up again! We did all our tuning using EFI Live, and now use our speed density tune that we tuned using a Innovative LC-1, to get an almost exact Volumetric Efficiency Table in the computer, and has 50HP of NX spray VIA a hidden kit done by me, its a small shot right now because i lost my jets, and we are now awaiting a 150 set. We walked almost even with a new mustang GT from stop light to stoplight with it with no spray! Oh and we knock out 18.87 miles per gallon with pure in town stop light cruising! Thought you guys might be interested!
Also new D-maxs' suck, we have a 05' that can really move!
,Dan

Attachments

• Engine and truck.jpg
    Engine and truck.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 185
  • Jacked up putting engine in.jpg
    Jacked up putting engine in.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 199
  • Dropping engine in.jpg
    Dropping engine in.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 186
  • Truck close to being done.jpg
    Truck close to being done.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 178
  • Engine in with radiator.jpg
    Engine in with radiator.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 181
more pics...

Attachments

• Truck close to being done.jpg
    Truck close to being done.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 183
  • engine done.jpg
    engine done.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 180
  • jeffs truck badge.jpg
    jeffs truck badge.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 180
  • BB Spray 001.jpg
    BB Spray 001.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 180
  • BB Spray 002.jpg
    BB Spray 002.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 191
and more....

Attachments

• BB Spray 005.jpg
    BB Spray 005.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 186
  • engine done.jpg
    engine done.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 177
Good kill. I recently raced a Subaru WRX the other night in my '06 crew cab Silverado-T. He had me off the line being all wheel drive but I walked him by about a car and a half length from a roll. His buddy was hanging his camera phone out the window filiming the whole thing. He didn't know what hit him.

Attachments

• DSC04907.jpg
    DSC04907.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC04629.jpg
    DSC04629.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC04903.jpg
    DSC04903.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 168
Good kill. I recently raced a Subaru WRX the other night in my '06 crew cab Silverado-T. He had me off the line being all wheel drive but I walked him by about a car and a half length from a roll. His buddy was hanging his camera phone out the window filiming the whole thing. He didn't know what hit him.

How's the drive ability with that turbo? That's the STS right? Did you get the bigger Inj etc?

My truck is mainly stock it has the stock tow package 3'' catback Flowmaster system, Stock K&N replacement filter, New Plug's/wires, fuel filter, Royal Purple oil. :rolleyes:
It runs so good I really don't want to do anything to it but I can't leave anything I own alone. :D I don't do stock! lol I would love to flash the computer but who's makes the best flash JET, Super Chips, Hyper, Diablo etc.? I know these motors love N2O. Who makes the best headers? Do they have any tuning tools? I want the truck to remain stock appearing but blow the doors of mustangs. ;)

Sorry for the 20 Questions "Anyone" :smile:

Thanks Blazer406

Dang Under boost we do a lot of specific to each vehicle tuning using a wide band for LS engines, and we also do Duramax engines using EFI Live, but you live a long distance away, we are just starting to work with boosted operating systems for LS engines, and also N20 operating systems. I would almost think that the drive-ability of the turbo truck didn't change seeing that STS makes some decent systems, given that it was tuned correctly! although there is a large amount of exhaust heat energy lost from it not being right by the engine. Hey TwinyTwin, did you do your own tuning to get exact VE tables and just use their mechanical starter kit, or did you use there complete kit with flash tuner?

,Dan

How's the drive ability with that turbo? That's the STS right? Did you get the bigger Inj etc?

My truck is mainly stock it has the stock tow package 3'' catback Flowmaster system, Stock K&N replacement filter, New Plug's/wires, fuel filter, Royal Purple oil. :rolleyes:
It runs so good I really don't want to do anything to it but I can't leave anything I own alone. :D I don't do stock! lol I would love to flash the computer but who's makes the best flash JET, Super Chips, Hyper, Diablo etc.? I know these motors love N2O. Who makes the best headers? Do they have any tuning tools? I want the truck to remain stock appearing but blow the doors of mustangs. ;)

Sorry for the 20 Questions "Anyone" :smile:

Yeah it is the STS turbo and the drive ability with the turbo is awsome. I have no problems towing or hauling heavy loads. I kind of went a little over board with my setup. I got the MSD fuel pump booster along with 44lbs injectors, AEM wide band o2 w/gauge and the Diablo Sport tuner. The only thing I had to do with Diablo tuner was load my factory setting on the unit and then save it to my computer. Once it was saved I sent the orignal flash over email to Rick Squires at STS and he sent me a reflash for the ecu. Once I had the reflash I went to my local dyno and had them fine tune it. Its a great kit and recommend it to anyone who wants that stealth look outside and under the hood. Once you get rolling it sounds like you have a jet engine under your bed :biggrin: .

Yeah it is the STS turbo and the drive ability with the turbo is awsome. I have no problems towing or hauling heavy loads. I kind of went a little over board with my setup. I got the MSD fuel pump booster along with 44lbs injectors, AEM wide band o2 w/gauge and the Diablo Sport tuner. The only thing I had to do with Diablo tuner was load my factory setting on the unit and then save it to my computer. Once it was saved I sent the orignal flash over email to Rick Squires at STS and he sent me a reflash for the ecu. Once I had the reflash I went to my local dyno and had them fine tune it. Its a great kit and recommend it to anyone who wants that stealth look outside and under the hood. Once you get rolling it sounds like you have a jet engine under your bed :biggrin: .

How much boost are you running? :D Any race gas? When you had it on the Dyno how much rwhp?

How much boost are you running? :D Any race gas? When you had it on the Dyno how much rwhp?

Truck is currently at 5psi and a little on the fat side. I daily drive this thing so I don't put race gas in it, can barely pay for 93 oct. When it hit the rollers for the tune session it put down 320hp and 338tq (4.8L) on pump gas. I will eventually get a boost controller and a alky kit and turn the boost up to about 8-10 psi w/a alky kit. Untill then the truck is on hold untill I get my car back.

What are the best and first things to do on these OBD2 trucks, a cumputer flash? I'm looking into that STS kit. ;)

You guys.... @#$$#@

You have got my wheels to turning....

I have a '97 C1500 short box x-cab..... 5.7L Vortec....all stock.... 235k miles.... 4L60E...

In the garage...I have my spare hairdrier for the GN.... a TE60...... hmmmm.....

This could be fun.... :biggrin:

What could I do to boost fuel output? FMU? Do they make a bigger injector for the vortec 350?

You guys.... @#$$#@

You have got my wheels to turning....

I have a '97 C1500 short box x-cab..... 5.7L Vortec....all stock.... 235k miles.... 4L60E...

In the garage...I have my spare hairdrier for the GN.... a TE60...... hmmmm.....

This could be fun.... :biggrin:

What could I do to boost fuel output? FMU? Do they make a bigger injector for the vortec 350?

Squires Turbo Systems - Fullsize GM Truck Turbo Systems ;)

No '97....

I wasn't thinking about buying a system.... I would do it all myself. IMHO... with the tools and equipment at my disposal..... I would do it myself..... IMHO... there is no better since of accomplishment than admiring your own handy work.... and enjoying it....

I am going to study up on this... turbo and plumbing I am not worried about... getting the fuel to the motor under boost.... will have to be thought out carefully.... maybe an alky kit as well.....

Not to discourage you but the 350 vortec engines are not much of an easy deal to mess with being that the ECMs (97-first half of 99) are a pain in the ass to deal with because of the way they are programmed! I would do a 6.0 swap to it first then a turbo!, which is a little out of your ballpark idea i'm sure, but i would not advise messing with it.. If you demand to do so, i would go to EFILive: Digital Tools for Onboard Vehicle Electronics they are one of the best tuner software companies on the market right now for self tuning, and they have 2 and 3 bar operating system outlines set up for all LS series engines, but i don't think they have anything like that for early vortecs, hence not wanting to mess with an older vortec operating system. just an idea to also think about when planning, hope i helped more than hurt!
,Dan

Not to discourage you but the 350 vortec engines are not much of an easy deal to mess with being that the ECMs (97-first half of 99) are a pain in the ass to deal with because of the way they are programmed!

Daniel I'm new to this truck thing. I was wondering is a 2000 5.3 a good year to work with? :confused:

Not to discourage you but the 350 vortec engines are not much of an easy deal to mess with being that the ECMs (97-first half of 99) are a pain in the ass to deal with because of the way they are programmed! I would do a 6.0 swap to it first then a turbo!, which is a little out of your ballpark idea i'm sure, but i would not advise messing with it.. If you demand to do so, i would go to EFILive: Digital Tools for Onboard Vehicle Electronics they are one of the best tuner software companies on the market right now for self tuning, and they have 2 and 3 bar operating system outlines set up for all LS series engines, but i don't think they have anything like that for early vortecs, hence not wanting to mess with an older vortec operating system. just an idea to also think about when planning, hope i helped more than hurt!
,Dan

I guess my first shot out of the box was to see if there was a bigger engine with a similar intake... like a 454 vortec with a spider... or didn't they make a 502 vortec? .... anyway... maybe those injectors are decently larger... then put a different fuel pressure regulator.....like an FMU... that could make more fuel pressure than 1:1 like a stock type regulator. Another idea would be to just install an alky kit... and have it add all the extra fuel you would need....the cooling effect it would have I am sure would let you run at least maybe 8 to 10 psi.....

The alky deal might be the best way... since if you installed bigger injectors... you would definately have to run a different computer flash....where the alky kit.... you might not have to touch it...

Just make sure fuel pressure comes up with boost... and let the alky do the rest...tune it with a wideband w/datalogger

Back