You can type here any text you want

03 Cobra got me by a fender

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

6 beats 8

LIVE BETTER...WORK UNION!
Yesterday my Brother and I were out in my GN, Turning onto a main drag that was packed. Low and behold an 03 Cobra waves me on to make the turn. I figured he wanted to go, he was right on my ass winding out first. Up ahead the road turns into two lanes, I still wasn't positive he wanted to run, until he slingshoted around me and got the jump on me. He was a good car and a half on me, when the TE44 started working its magic. First run with my new tranny, and she was shifting like mad. By the time I hit 3rd, I was door to door with him. I looked over at him and the look was priceless, He couldn't beleive I was keeping up to his $35,000 car. He had me by a fender when we had to shut them down for traffic. We both ended up next to each other at the light, and he didn't even acknowlege me, he just turned off. At first I was pretty pissed that I got beat, but I figured my 17 year old baby did pretty good!

Ray

I've seen one run a 12.0 sec flat run in the 1/4 mile at the track I go to. I don't remember the mph. Gotta love that look though:eek:

I never seem to catch these guys on the street. If I just happen to spot one, it's heading the other way or it's a mile ahead of me in traffic :mad:

MMMM '03 Cobra :D

They all look the same to me... I wouldn't be able to distinguish an '03 cobra from a plain '99 non-GT. Too many clones and subtleties... I'd like to run one, but he'd better have more than a 12.0 street car to keep up with me :)

at school when i first got my gn, whenever i told people that i had just bought a buick grand national they would always give me a funny look. every single time. hey, its only got a 6 cylinder, and its an old persons car.... kids these days, jeesh

-jeff

If it was a 03 cobra, its supercharged.

If u guys went from a roll off ... u should be REAL happy with ur performance.

I've waiting to read if anybody went up against the new pony car. Good kill because the '03 cobra is no joke. Exhaust and pulley change is all they say for low 12's.

But then again there is nothin' like the sound of an ole Buick sitting at the tree spoiling up, ready for lift off and the suspension jacked up straining against... the high horse powered....

Sorry it's been a long winter and reading Ravens stories.

:D

They are definetly bad azz...

I personally want one, but the problem is, its a mustang..a 35000 dollar MUSTANG!. I just cant imagine paying that much for a stang.

Originally posted by aperrego
They are definetly bad azz...

But the problem is, its a mustang..a 35000 dollar MUSTANG!. I just cant imagine paying that much for a stang.

My feelings exactly. For the average joe, 35,000 for a fast car is not peanuts.:( But on the internet, everyone can afford it, and no one is average.:rolleyes: ;)

Originally posted by blackshoebox
My feelings exactly. For the average joe, 35,000 for a fast car is not peanuts.:( But on the internet, everyone can afford it, and no one is average.:rolleyes: ;)
What about all the avg. Joe's rollin around in their 2002 Firehawks or SLP SS's ($33-36,000)... It's a bargain if you ask me :cool:

Its all about personal opinion...

Do the math -

Base Mustang GT - ~22k
Cobra - 35.. Is there really 13grand worth of performance?

Base Z28 -~21-22
SS / FIREHAWK/SLP - 36k again same question.

Maybe there is..but me personally unless it comes with a Hooters Waitress on you becon call :eek: then I will stick with the basics.... and spend 1/2 of that making it as fast if not faster than the successor..

Originally posted by aperrego
Its all about personal opinion...

Do the math -

Base Mustang GT - ~22k
Cobra - 35.. Is there really 13grand worth of performance?

Base Z28 -~21-22
SS / FIREHAWK/SLP - 36k again same question.

Maybe there is..but me personally unless it comes with a Hooters Waitress on you becon call :eek: then I will stick with the basics.... and spend 1/2 of that making it as fast if not faster than the successor..

The GT has the SOHC V8 with 260 hp... Cobra comes with a forged bottom end DOHC with a blower all under warranty. Also has the IRS rear, 13 inch brakes and comes fully loaded. I'd say its definitely worth it. Now as far as the SLP SS/Firehawk... they both share the same base Z28/Formula motor... LS1. I guess that's only for the appeal :)

I know what you mean about the purchase price, but some people have a whole lot of cash to blow and want a new car :confused: :eek:

Originally posted by GotBoost
What about all the avg. Joe's rollin around in their 2002 Firehawks or SLP SS's ($33-36,000)... It's a bargain if you ask me :cool:

If you compare them that way, the cobra is the better buy for the performance. If I am going to spend that much, I'll bite the bullet and buy a vette.:D

did you ever change those valvsprings>?

Yes, and the car picked back up. We checked the springs that came out of the car, and they were about 4-5 pounds off on the height which should be 100 if you have 100 pound springs, and 110 if you have a 110, and etc..and they were about 30-40 pds off on the nose(which is when they are closed and the piston is pushing against them because of the boost in the cylinder). The 30-40 less is what was causing the valves to float since there was not enough pressure to push the piston back down into the cylinder with all that boost in there.

Originally posted by blackshoebox
If you compare them that way, the cobra is the better buy for the performance. If I am going to spend that much, I'll bite the bullet and buy a vette.:D
Z06 :p Electron blue ::drools::

Originally posted by GotBoost
Nice Monte... Sorry I had to :D

if you saw my car you definitely would not be calling it a monte unless you were blind...

Originally posted by d0n_3d
if you saw my car you definitely would not be calling it a monte unless you were blind...
Oh please... Thats b/c you are a GN enthusiast. Just like Mustang enthusiasts can spot an '03 Cobra from a mile away unless they were blind (Sinful6 said they all look the same :rolleyes: ) Please... I'm sure you have recieved the 'nice monte' comment at least once!!!

I think the '03 Cobras are pretty bad ass! However, $35,000 is a little steep considering that my 2000 Z28 was only $23,000 out the door. It does come with a forged bottom-end and can take some abuse, but they are also pretty heavy. Overall, I like them and can't wait to race one.

Back