You can type here any text you want

03 Cobra got me by a fender

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
even if you were to buy a c5 you would get spanked by a cobra. if you want to buy a vette that would run with the cobra you would need to spend at least 15,000 more for the z06. plus the cobra is alot more receptive to mods than the z06.

Hey Got boost if you ever see a GNX tagged black regal with autodrags on L.I Suffolk co., we,ll have a go .:p

oh i also like the cobras , my sister said she and her husband were thinking of a mustang and i recomended they go for the Cobra :p

Originally posted by galoush
Hey Got boost if you ever see a GNX tagged black regal with autodrags on L.I Suffolk co., we,ll have a go .:p
:D
Don't get me wrong... I love GN's (I used to own one) and I would never mistake one for a Monte... Yea... the Cobra is a sweet car :cool:

Last I knew, torque won street races.

Disagree. He/she who gets the best launch will win the street race. I push ~300 lb/ft of torque - but I make it at a much higher rpm than most. Because HP = torque * rpm, this works to my advantage - seeing as I geared the car to take advantage of it. :)

Not to dis the 89 TTA....prior to the LS1, it is the ONLY F-body I had ever wanted.

Torque is overrated. Got ET? ;)

Yup, the best launch wins street races.

All things being equal, the 400ft/lb, 300hp car will pound a 300ft/lb, 400hp car off the line every day of the week.

ALL things being equal? IE....same gearing, same traction, etc?

Perhaps. But consider this...and keeping in mind that you said equal....

if I had to saddle my car with 3.42's, I'd be in big trouble. However, if you had to run 4.56's, you'd be in just as much trouble. :)

Additionally, everything else being equal, and assuming both cars are geared properly, the 400HP, 300 lb/ft car will outrun the 300HP, 400 lb/ft car....yes, even in the 1/4 mile, and again, assuming proper gearing, even off the line. :)

I guess Mr Cosby is back with his words of wisdom. :)

Welcome back squid. Were you over in the Middle East or points you can't disclose?

I agree that once you get into the science of it: dyno chart ID'ing hp & torque, vehicular weight, suspension, rear gearing, tranny gearing, tire sizing and driver skill all maximized for optimum racing not just taking one of the mentioned variables.

Mr. Cosby’s cobra is a testament to maximizing you have; it’s not what you do it’s the way that you do it.

Originally posted by Bob Cosby
ALL things being equal? IE....same gearing, same traction, etc?

Perhaps. But consider this...and keeping in mind that you said equal....

if I had to saddle my car with 3.42's, I'd be in big trouble. However, if you had to run 4.56's, you'd be in just as much trouble. :)

Additionally, everything else being equal, and assuming both cars are geared properly, the 400HP, 300 lb/ft car will outrun the 300HP, 400 lb/ft car....yes, even in the 1/4 mile, and again, assuming proper gearing, even off the line. :)
You're not the infamous "Baghdad Bob" and formerly employed as the Iraqi Minister of Information are you?

Let me quote a trusted source:

The Lower your torque RPM peak is, the better it is for racing and launching. Assuming of course that U have the traction to utilize this torque. It is correct in that launching is everything in ¼ mile time. For every 0.1 sec U pick up in 60' time, your overall ET will pick up 0.15-0.20 sec. The torque does U no good if it goes into burning rubber.

There is no simple answer or formula - there R 10 different ways to set up any given car. What U gain on the lower end, U will typically lose on the upper end, so things need to be balanced. Lotsa guys will go w a high (numerical) rear end ratio to get more torque down low and improve their launch. But then they may be over the HP peak at the top end and lose some there.

A Hi revving engine w a Hi torque peak can work, but then he will need a very Hi RPM Stall T convertor and perhaps a Transbrake. Then he always has to keep his RPM's up because he has no low end torque, so he will also have to raise his shift points. Such a car will be a Dog on the street. This is typically what the Ricers have to do to get any power.

Naaa, just simple stop light war theory difference of opinion. I'll take torque to stop light wars any day of the week. AWD would be a plus too! :D

this guy named lingenfelter seems to think that a street motor that makes most of its torque in the mid-range is ideal( torque being more important than hp) he also said "torque plays a major role in street car acceleration".

-jeff

momau3..howdy dude. I've been in the States for a while now, so no "secret" stuff for me. :)

You're not the infamous "Baghdad Bob" and formerly employed as the Iraqi Minister of Information are you?
Nope, haven't hung myself yet. :)

The Lower your torque RPM peak is, the better it is for racing and launching.
Ok. Why don't you go race a diesel? I mean really....what could be better that 500 lb/ft torque @ 2000 rpm? The answer is simple....its at only 2000 rpm, meaning that 500 lb/ft torque monster is only putting out 190 HP.

Assuming of course that U have the traction to utilize this torque. It is correct in that launching is everything in ¼ mile time. For every 0.1 sec U pick up in 60' time, your overall ET will pick up 0.15-0.20 sec. The torque does U no good if it goes into burning rubber.
Agreed. No rocket science there.

There is no simple answer or formula - there R 10 different ways to set up any given car. What U gain on the lower end, U will typically lose on the upper end, so things need to be balanced. Lotsa guys will go w a high (numerical) rear end ratio to get more torque down low and improve their launch. But then they may be over the HP peak at the top end and lose some there.
They may, or they may not. As a general rule of thumb, going through the traps ~800 rpm above HP peak is best for ET. Going through the traps nearer the HP peak will produce a better MPH. I like ET, and gear accordingly.

A Hi revving engine w a Hi torque peak can work
LOL. Ya think? Are you familier with NHRA Pro Stock? How high do you think their torque peaks are? What do you think they make more of - peak torque or peak HP? Do you think they "work"?

but then he will need a very Hi RPM Stall T convertor and perhaps a Transbrake.
Correct.

Then he always has to keep his RPM's up because he has no low end torque, so he will also have to raise his shift points.
Ok. In this hypothetical situation, is the idea to go fast, or keep the rpm down?

Such a car will be a Dog on the street.
Bologna. It might not "feel" good because you have to keep the rpm up to make good power, but it doesn't lose power or potential (assuming traction) just because it is on the street.

This is typically what the Ricers have to do to get any power.
Thank you. I'll have my DOHC 4.6L Uncle Ben's with a bit of butter, please.

this guy named lingenfelter seems to think that a street motor that makes most of its torque in the mid-range is ideal
You will get no arguement from me that a street car will feel much better with more mid-range power than upper rpm power. Most street cars are tuned for such. However, that does not make it faster.

( torque being more important than hp)
Ok. Let me get you a torque curve and you determine the shift points and finish line rpm. Fair enough? Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of just the torque curve. However, please determine optimum shift point from this dyno graph using ONLY the torque curve. Then please explain how you did it. Just get close. If you like, assume a 3/4 shift with 1.34 and 1.00 tranny gears.

http://members.cox.net/bobcosby/cobra/images/tkosae.jpg

he also said "torque plays a major role in street car acceleration
See above statement. You cannot seperate the two.

Point and counter-point.

So Bob are you a JAG officer?:D J/K

Are you going to running up in E-town at all this year? I read your stats on the corral website and seen pics in MM&FF; like to see Black Cloud run in person. Impressive.

Back