1?4u

This would be better posted to the gmecm mailing list. Go to www.diy-efi.org, then gmecm, then subscribe. Also check the archives because it may have been addressed before.

I know there is at least one person on this board who can do it. Maybe he'll chime in. Have you asked RBob from the thirdgen board if he can do it?

Nick

I just reread what I posted last night, and realized that it may not have sounded quite right. It's fine to discuss your question here, I didn't mean at all that it wasn't. I just think that the gmecm list will be a more knowledgeable pool of people for this particular question. I'm not very familiar with the 165 but it normally doesn't use a maf, only map, right? So far as I know the GM map sensors output a voltage which varies from 0-5 V over their pressure range. The GM maf sensors output a triangle wave (well, pretty much) whose frequncy is proportional to airflow. The ecm has to do a frequency measurement, not just a simple voltage measurement, which means a different input channel (digital instead of analog) and much different code to handle it. I think the Ford maf sensors are voltage output so it may actually be easier to use one of them, but that's the extent of my knowledge so I can't point you to any particular part number. You will still have to convert the 165 code from speed-density to maf, of course.

Oh, as a practical matter, the GN mafs have been discontinued for a few years now from GM and only remans are readily available, which have a spotty record of poor airflow housings and incorrect calibrations. More and more TR owners are converting to the LT1 or LS1 maf which is cheaper and widely available, along with the Translator from Ramchargers to handle the electronic conversion. If you stay with a GM maf, one of those would be a much better (IMHO) choice than a GN maf. Anyway, good luck.

the 165 is a maf system.

the guys at third gen hate me.I do not know why.But I guess diy-efi.org would be better.I could never figure out how the list works.I thougt you turbo guys use dig mafs for upgrade.I'm thinking of trying a gn maf/translator.The 165 reads volts but the stock code has provisions for frequency based maf.what is the freqency range of the gn maf?

that is the same Hz as the 165 maf system.I guess I'll see what it takes to enable the digital input in the code.Then get a translator for 3.5dig maf.?Do you guys use a ls1 or lt1 sensor?What is the changes made to the maf tables(on a GN) after the upgrade?I might try this soon.Thanks for the replies.

No changes necessary to the maf tables (on the turbo buicks). The newer maf sensors are pretty accurate, and the Translator does a great job translating. Also, any slight variances can be corrected by the BLM's to get the A/F back to ~14.8 (assuming closed loop). In addition to that, inside the Translator box are some knobs to alter the signal if necessary.

Now I just need to find out how to enable freq input for the ecm.Thanks for all the help:D