You can type here any text you want

130K miles, which oil to use?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

streetknight

DCVING
Should I go synthetic now or stay conventional? What weight either way? Car is an occasional driver that will see mostly track duty.

stay conventional and stay clean. someone else may be able to chime in about those high milage motor oils. seems conceptionally good, i dont know for sure. I had a high milage vehicle and my mechanic told me (weve used on our fleet trucks for years), not to change to synthetic. Something about creating problems, especially around your seals,ect. ($.02).

I've heard that synthetic is more likely to find leaks (like rear main seal) and that it tends to roll off parts when the car sits leading to dry starts if the car sits for any amount of time. I would stick with conventional. Personally I run 10W-40 with ZDDP additive.

those stories about synthetic oils causing problems in high mileage cars are about 20 years out of date.

I use 4qts of 10-30 and 1 of 20-50, or just use all 10-30, you can mix weights of the SAME oil because of their own unique additive packages, just really do not want to mix different wts. of different oils for that same reason

just make sure you got enough zinc keep on using the same oil you been using just my own 2 cents.

I'd use 20-50 oil just so I wouldn't spin a bearing. Play it safe and roll some new bearings in the engine if you're gonna run it hard.

kirban 2 cents worth

add zddplus bottle with whatever sm oil you use in order to have the protection that was in the sf oil when your car was new. Some members refer to it simply as zinc....zinc is just one ingredient in the zddp formula.

Many oil companies are now hopping n the band wagon stating they got zinc and this and that....zddplus 4 ounces is the simpliest solution to solving the issue.

Better than that, it has been made available by a person who has the largest turbo buick collection of cars and parts

several companies have it gbodyparts.com us, gessler, nick micale.....herb fishman to name a few....besides cam companies isky crower, erson

others like year one, eastwood, moss motors.....

racing oils have higher levels but need to be changed frequently. Look at your visor decal that tells you what viscosity to use.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

under the sm oil category.....brand don't matter as none I repeat none can have more than 600-800 ppm of zddp content....when you need 1,500 to 1,800 in a high performance engine.

Addng to the issue is zddp depletes at a faster rate for the first 1,000 miles of driving....

Oil is not like it used to be.....

Back