You can type here any text you want

14 vs 15

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bakerlaw67

BQQSTED
I need new tires and the stock '83 14" wheels I have are in need of some help (and some center caps!).

The question I have is this: Would it be better to change to 15" wheels and why?

I would probably stay with a similar overall size to keep the speedo close. I understand that this will give me somewhat better handling due to the shorter sidewall.

If I go to 15's, it will be some kind of Buick rim. Some of the sales literature I have shows my car with what we always called "Buick Rallyes" - the chrome mags so ubiquitous on everything Buick since the '70s. The car looks good with the chrome, but I wonder about GN chrome mags, TType Turbines, etc. especially since I have the blackout trim pack.

http://www.geocities.com/bakerlaw67/right_front.jpg or
http://www.geocities.com/bakerlaw67/regal

Any comments?

I think the N78 wheels (N78 is the option code, Buick never gave them a name other than 'aluminum wheels') look great on your car. The centers are still avaliable from GM.

But I also think the Buick Ralleyes would look great too! I have them on my car and like them, but they would really compliment your color scheme. The 86/87 TR, 84/85 GN and the 86/87 GN wheels would all look good too, but maybe out of place.

Cost wise, the Ralleyes are the best bargin. Any 84/87 wheels are going to be ~$200 set. I bought four 15" Buick Ralleyes for $50. They needed the rust polished off and repainting, but that was easy. Regals came with 14x6's, but there are planty of 15x7 around. Just get the ones with the seam around the center (the seamless wheels are a different bolt circle).

205/70R14's are skinny. The 84/87 TR's use 215/65R15, they are a little bigger, but I changed the speedo gears to the stock 84/87 TR gears. Then I went with 235/60R15 which are the same diameter as the 215/65R15.

You might be able to put a 235 on the N78 wheels and keep the speedo where it is. Just loose the whitewalls. ;)

Back