You can type here any text you want

16 x 7 rims w/4in BS are rubbing A arm?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

slickj52003

Can someone provide me with some GeeWiz? I rebuilt the front end with all new stock suspension but I've been having to shave off the factory A arm lip to keep from wasting the rims.I had the 16 x 8 GTX fronts w/4.5in BS but it was eatting them alive at about 3/4 turn.I had the car aligned and they said the alignment was pretty much on mark.Any ideas?

Upper or lower A-arm?
Does it have drop spindles?
You can massage the edge with a small hammer (go slowly). Giving it a whack with a big hammer could crack it.
I run 4.5" bs with a 17 x 8 wheel, but that might be too much for a 16" wheel. Most 16 x 8's run 4" bs.

Upper A arm

measured spindle: 7 1/2 in ? A arm seems to be about a 9 in length from wear A arm mounts to frame tto the center point of where the ball joint fits in the spindle.I have already used a cutting wheel to take down the lip.

measured spindle: 7 1/2 in ? A arm seems to be about a 9 in length from wear A arm mounts to frame tto the center point of where the ball joint fits in the spindle.I have already used a cutting wheel to take down the lip.

i have no idea what you measured, but i'm going to guess that you've got dropped spindles.
with the GTA "front" wheels that measure at 16X8 with 4" of backspacing and with 245/50/16 tires on them, nothing rubs at all. when it had the slightly wider 255/50/16 tires on it, the sidewall of the tire just barely hit the inner fenderwell at full lock, with a ton of clearance around the control arm.
but a dropped spindle will put the rim closer to the control arm when turning due to the pin being moved up in relation to the ball joints.

measurement

I measured from the top and bottom of the steering knuckle where the balljoint mounts.What would be the standard size?

Back