You can type here any text you want

17x8 4.5" BS??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbobuick

Staff member
Looking to buy new rims for my T-type and was thinking of a 17x8 for the front with a 235/45/17 tire. Will it run anywhere with a 4.5" BS? I was thinking 4" BS would be the way to go?

I am going with 17x9.5" 5" BS for the rear with MT 295/40/17 DR's. Hoping to make them fit without a frame notch and willing to use spacers. I do not want to use spacers on the fronts though.
Opinions please,
Thanks

4.5 works better than 4 imo. It tucks them in a little more and will prevent rubbing on big dips at the top of the fender lip. Not only that but if you are considering big brakes later on, they usually push it out .25" On a 4" BS wheel (at least on mine) it pushed it out a bit too far for my taste and didn't allow me to lower the car as much as i wanted. The only downside is that its more likely to rub the inner fender at full lock.

for the rear, as long as the fenders are rolled and the rear is centered you shouldn't have much issue.

I run 17 x 8 fronts with 4.5" b.s. and 245/45R17's. I think that is what works best for most Buicks.
On the rear I run 17 x 10 with 4.75" b.s. and 275/40R17's and rolled lips. A 5" b.s. will be tight with a 295, so spacers might be needed for fine tuning. :biggrin:

Scooter's car looks tough. 295/45R17 MT Street Radial is really the hot ticket I think. He's got me wanting to take my rear 18's off and go to 17's! Have fun!

No notch or rolling. They're actually just .2 tenths wider than a 275/40/17 and about 1.5 inches taller.
Scott

Thanks,
I actually went to Summit's super sale this weekend to buy exactly what you have on your car. I've been fighting a few issues with my GTA wheels and I'm considering changing. They didn't have everything in stock though so I ended up just buying 4 new tires for the GTA's hoping to get rid of a vibration issue. I'm also having a rub issue with the fronts that I may end up having to change the spacer setup.

Knowing you got those in there without modifying the rear at all is making me have second thoughts on not going through with the purchase. Looks good thanks for the info, I am really suprised to see a 5" BS on there without a notch that is what I ran on my TSO car! I just finished a frame off resto and really dont want to cut and splice anything on this car. I also forgot to mention my car has 2" drop spindles with the bell tech springs in the rear which changes things a little bit but I should be able to get them in there still.

Back