You can type here any text you want

17x9 wheel question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

incubus2432

Douchebag
So I think I've settled on my new wheels (Hot Wheels Sixty-Eights). The 17x9 are 4.5" backspace. In my searches I've seen that a 9" wheel can "fit" in the rear with no mods. Now "how" it fits is what I'm concerned about. I've seen some pics where it obviously would strike the fender lip under suspension travel and some where it looks like there is clearance......but in those pics there is no specific wheel info.

Does it fit without rubbing the fender lip under bumpy conditions or do you need air bags to keep it from rubbing?

One other issue is that I'm installing a set of Baer brakes as well which, as I understand, widens the track somewhat so having a little wiggle room would be a bonus. I have no issue with running 8" all around but would prefer running a 9" in the rear (so to speak :eek: ) if I can do it cleanly.

I know with some measuring I can find out but I'll still be second guessing and asking for an opinion anyway. :biggrin:

So I think I've settled on my new wheels (Hot Wheels Sixty-Eights). The 17x9 are 4.5" backspace. In my searches I've seen that a 9" wheel can "fit" in the rear with no mods. Now "how" it fits is what I'm concerned about. I've seen some pics where it obviously would strike the fender lip under suspension travel and some where it looks like there is clearance......but in those pics there is no specific wheel info.

Does it fit without rubbing the fender lip under bumpy conditions or do you need air bags to keep it from rubbing?

One other issue is that I'm installing a set of Baer brakes as well which, as I understand, widens the track somewhat so having a little wiggle room would be a bonus. I have no issue with running 8" all around but would prefer running a 9" in the rear (so to speak :eek: ) if I can do it cleanly.

I know with some measuring I can find out but I'll still be second guessing and asking for an opinion anyway. :biggrin:

I can't exactly answer your question, as I have 17x9s with 4.75 inch back spacing, which is .25 inch more of backspacing than the wheel you are looking at. They fit fine, with no rubbing or clearance issues at all. I don't think the extra 1/4 inch less backspacing is going to cause any clearance problems at all. There are folks running Simmons wheels in 17x9.5 inches with 4.75 inch back spacing with no mods to the fender lips.

Here are a few pics of my 17x9 with 4.75 inch backspacing (255/45/17s) so you can get an idea. Imagine the wheels sticking out an additional .25 inch outward and that should give you an idea how they would tuck in your rear fenderwells.

DSC00071.jpg

DSC_0971-01-1.jpg

The only thing you will have to watch is not all Regals set on their frames straight, so you could clear on one side and may have to slightly roll the lip on the other. My fenders lips are not rolled. I am going to move up to a 275/40/17 on the back on do not foresee any clearance problems at all.

Rob

Thanks for the reply. Your post/pics make me reconsider the Sixty Eights as my wheel choice. I do like 'em (especially considering the price) but maybe I'll go with my 1st choice that cost twice as much but I can get 'em in 4.75" backspace and if they are too tight I can always run a small spacer to get 'em perfect.

Thanks for the reply. Your post/pics make me reconsider the Sixty Eights as my wheel choice. I do like 'em (especially considering the price) but maybe I'll go with my 1st choice that cost twice as much but I can get 'em in 4.75" backspace and if they are too tight I can always run a small spacer to get 'em perfect.

If you are thinking about spacers, check these out: Wheel Spacers | Motorsport Technology

I've debated buying a set.

Rob

Thanks for the info and your experience. I opted for the wheel i originally wanted.....

.....Vintage Wheel Works V45's......
V45-17x8.jpg

17x9 4.75" BS for the rear with 275/40's
17x8 4.5" BS for the front with 245/45's

I made some measurements and compensated for my soon-to-be-installed front/rear Baer brakes and these numbers seem spot on. Hopefully I get 'em in a few weeks.

Silver Fox,
What rear brakes are you running?
Conrad

Incubus, please post pictures when you have those wheels on the car.

The wheels/tires just came today. Not on the car yet (still working on the brakes) but I should have the rears on tonight.

IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

I got the rears on and finished the rear Baer brakes as well (with the exception of the parking brake). The rims/tires fit great.....the 17x9 (4.75" BS) and 275/40 tire fits nice. The passenger side tire comes a little close at about 10 o'clock on the back side but I don't think it will be an issue......certainly not anything that won't be easy to fix.

BTW.....it's still on stands because I have to button-up and fill the differential.

IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

Now all I have left is to re-torque the wheels, put on the center caps, install the front Baer brakes, install my hydroboost, bleed the system and put the front wheels on........hopefully done by the end of the weekend. :eek: :p :cool: :biggrin:

Back